Author Topic: my topper 12  (Read 1209 times)

Offline cofi

• Trade Count: (0)
my topper 12
« on: February 16, 2013, 09:15:54 AM »
i wanted to post up some pics of the new stock its youth sized now which is a really nice way to shorten the stock without cutting up the original wood stuff think i payed 45 bucks for the stock and forend from midway the forend is kind of cheezy and has storage for shells or tactical jelly beans or whatever but it is longer then the factory one and makes the barrel look shorter which is a plus in my book....

when i put all the plastic stuff on it was a little nose heavy even with the barrel cut down to 18.5 so i put the shell holder on with 3" buckshot and i would say the gun is almost factory balanced and its much more natural for me to shoot with the shorter stock even though im 6'1 i shoot mostly ar platform so i like to be squared vs bladed

now i gotta save up 200 to have the forcing cone extended, chokes threaded, bead installed and buy a sling!

i realize the shell holder is pushed up i have to put some rubber bands on the stock to hold it in place i was shooting skeet and it crept up on me

heres a side by side with my ar the youth stock sits right around the same LOP as position 3 on my vltor buffer tube

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: my topper 12
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »
Looks good. I've got one just like it and it's fun to shoot.
Don't laugh about that forearm... it is pretty handy. You can put a lighter, duct tape, paracord, etc. in it.
Which brand of choke are you going to have it threaded for?
You might check into a set of sights for it instead of a bead... might make it a little more accurate for slugs.

Spanky

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 02:36:46 PM »
Looks super nice!  And I agree about the short barrel/long forend look 8) .

regards,
Jeff
Most people are sheep, some are wolves.  I'm a sheepdog.

Offline dubllung4

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 05:00:39 PM »
Instead of rubberbands, cut a slit in the bottom of the shell holder where the sling stud is and it won't go anywhere.

Offline cofi

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:48:06 AM »
Looks good. I've got one just like it and it's fun to shoot.
Don't laugh about that forearm... it is pretty handy. You can put a lighter, duct tape, paracord, etc. in it.
Which brand of choke are you going to have it threaded for?
You might check into a set of sights for it instead of a bead... might make it a little more accurate for slugs.

Spanky

well my guy can do rem choke, win choke, or tru choke

i dont really know what to go with

Offline cofi

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:48:42 AM »
Instead of rubberbands, cut a slit in the bottom of the shell holder where the sling stud is and it won't go anywhere.
thats a good idea!

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 04:11:48 PM »
cofi:

I'm going with Rem-Chokes on mine simply because they're so common ;) .

regards,
Jeff

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 02:30:53 PM »

Who's going to install your chokes?  (if you don't mind sharing?)

Good shotgun smiths are hard to come by!  (yes they're fugly, but have you considered just installing (soldering on) a used Polychoke?  I've been watching eBay in the hopes I can find something salvageable for a single-12 project I'm doing too).  :)

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 04:22:54 PM »

Who's going to install your chokes?  (if you don't mind sharing?)

Good shotgun smiths are hard to come by!  (yes they're fugly, but have you considered just installing (soldering on) a used Polychoke?  I've been watching eBay in the hopes I can find something salvageable for a single-12 project I'm doing too).  :)

Couger:

If you're talking to me, my 'smith of choice is Gunslingers Gunsmithing in White Hall, Arkansas.  Their work is always top-shelf and really reasonable ;) .

regards,
Jeff

Offline Couger

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 04:39:38 PM »

Thanks Jeff!

Don't know others' experiences, but finding really good pistol smiths and shotgun smiths are rare "finds" I've discovered. 

Here in in the [greater] Seattle area we had 15+ years ago Stan Baker, but he's retired and died long ago.

For some pistol work I need done, might need to send to Boise::)

Please let us know how your project goes.  ;D  I'm also doing a 12ga project, but likely mine won't proceed till the summer.

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 05:37:12 PM »
Glad to pass it on Couger.  And it sounds like genuine gunsmiths are getting harder to find every year.  I live in Little Rock, and there's only 3 within a 100 mile radius that I know of.  Of course we only have 4 independent gun dealers left in the county now as well :'( .  Kind of ironic for a state with as many "A-list" firearms industry manufacturers as we have.  The times are changin' ...and it's starting to suck!

But yes, as soon as the boys in White Hall finish my "Shorty 12" project I'll be posting a report.  With pictures if I can figure out how ::) !  I'm 1 of those techno-neanderthals.  Everything I've ever seen from Gunslingers has always been well executed.  So lets see how mine turns out, they might be a good option for you when you're ready.

regards,
Jeff

Offline cofi

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 01:16:09 PM »
here is my guy

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_143/547242_Screw_in_choke_tubes_installed.html

im thinking that im going to go with these chokes

http://www.briley.com/remingtonremchokechokes.aspx

probably the extended non ported unless someone can recommend some better ones

Offline Couger

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 02:02:08 PM »

Thanks for your info Cofi. 
Briley I know is damn good at what they do.

Of course good luck with your project.  :)