Author Topic: Gun show find... Hey quickdtoo, input needed.  (Read 846 times)

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Gun show find... Hey quickdtoo, input needed.
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:26:10 AM »
I had a WTB post for a .243. I really wanted a super lite but was willing to find a standard. Then yhis popped up. It has a laminate stock and forearm which is not beat up. Blued casing. Barrel in super nice shape. Base an rings included. What intrigued me was the NEF coin with limited edition on it. It's a serial number. NV. Let me know what you guys think.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Gun show find... Hey quickdtoo, input needed.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:40:09 AM »
How much can ya get it for? The lams are the heaviest of all wood stocks, so if you were wanting a Superlight it's a big step the other way, appears to have standard contour barrel which is the next step up in weight from the Superlight, if it's an original it's an ejector, many cuss ejectors for sticking brass, particularly in the 243, but it can be worked around, not an issue with a later model extractor. It may also be a pre-2000 frame which would preclude factory fitted accessory barrels other than shotgun, 357 and 44 mags. I wouldn't give em more than $250 or so, I'd start lower if the seller will negotiate.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stewmagoo

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 10:47:28 AM »
How much can ya get it for? The lams are the heaviest of all wood stocks, so if you were wanting a Superlight it's a big step the other way, appears to have standard contour barrel which is the next step up in weight from the Superlight, if it's an original it's an ejector, many cuss ejectors for sticking brass, particularly in the 243, but it can be worked around, not an issue with a later model extractor. It may also be a pre-2000 frame which would preclude factory fitted accessory barrels other than shotgun, 357 and 44 mags. I wouldn't give em more than $250 or so, I'd start lower if the seller will negotiate.  ;)

Tim
Tim,  Well the pictures were from after I got home, because I purchased it hours ago.  The reason for the superlight was because it was a niche rifle. I preferred a wood standard, but figured the synthetic is always more available.  By your FAQ's page it shows to be a 2005 model..  Well I was below what you said the max to pay.  Is there anything special about the limited edition laminate stocks?  Or just a sales ploy.
Thanks!
Stew

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 10:51:06 AM »
That's a nice rifle. You did alright. ;)
Let us know how it shoots.

Spanky

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 10:53:40 AM »
Congrats!!  ;) Not really special, lots of em made in different years, I've had a few of them, lots have been sold in the classifieds. I prefer new style syns myself, have traded several lam sets for em including all of the "limited" edition lams I had, of the lams I prefer the checkered versions that came on Ultras, most of the limited edition are slick. You can always swap the stock set out when ya want tho, they're all interchangable except for some shotgun forends.  8)

Tim

Offline stewmagoo

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »
That's a nice rifle. You did alright. ;)
Let us know how it shoots.

Spanky
Thanks Spanky,
200 wasn't too bad, I don't think.  I also bought some Sierra Boat tail 85 grain bullets that a friend is going to handload for me.

Offline stewmagoo

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:01:22 AM »
Congrats!!  ;) Not really special, lots of em made in different years, I've had a few of them, lots have been sold in the classifieds. I prefer new style syns myself, have traded several lam sets for em including all of the "limited" edition lams I had, of the lams I prefer the checkered versions that came on Ultras, most of the limited edition are slick. You can always swap the stock set out when ya want tho, they're all interchangable except for some shotgun forends.  8)

Tim
Thanks for the info, I knew you would help.  What rings do you like and prefer?  I have a Tasco 6-24x40AO that I am going to install.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 11:10:56 AM »
That's a bit more scope than I have on my 243s, I have a 6-18x40SF Nikon Buckmasters on my t-hole Ultra(it's now a 6mmAckley), the Ultra Varmint has a 4-16x50 Mueller, both in medium Burris Signature Zee rings. My Superlight has a Weaver 4x32 in low Burris Zee rings.  ;)

Tim

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 11:14:57 AM »
@ 200 you did real good! My superlight 243 loves the 85 grain sierra. Im cheap so buy alot of weaver quad locks from wally world, they do real good for me even on my 45-70 with ruger level loads.

Offline stewmagoo

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 11:27:58 AM »
@ 200 you did real good! My superlight 243 loves the 85 grain sierra. Im cheap so buy alot of weaver quad locks from wally world, they do real good for me even on my 45-70 with ruger level loads.
bucco, Thanks! I could have resold it a numerous of times for a profit. I knew it was going to be tough to find a Superlight in a 200-250 range.  I didn't really want a plain wood standard, so this was a good compromise.  I am not for sure what rings are on this rifle  I can't find any name, etc.  I have a couple of scopes laying around.  I have a Tasco 6-24x40AO and an OLD Banner fixed 6 power.  Any thoughts?

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 11:36:53 AM »
I guess the scope depends on what the gun will be used for. If its gonna be a long range open area only then i guess the 6-24 would be alright. I would probably go with the straight 6x til i figured out what scope I really wanted.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »
+1 on the 85 gr. Sierra Gameking.  My Superlight shoots it sub-MOA at 300.  I think you did well on the deal.  Mine wears a camo lam NEF logo stock too which I chose to put on it, and I like it.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline stewmagoo

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
+1 on the 85 gr. Sierra Gameking.  My Superlight shoots it sub-MOA at 300.  I think you did well on the deal.  Mine wears a camo lam NEF logo stock too which I chose to put on it, and I like it.

Pete
Pete,  Thanks for the words of confidence.  My 11 yr old, Myles always goes to the gunshows with me, and I told him to get ready for math class... He said, "Dad today is Saturday."  I told him to go to that guys table and count how many bullets are in that factory Sierra box of .243.   The guy just looked at him, and he said 78 dad.  So I struck a deal for $20.   
I would love to see a pic of your, "mean green".  What kind of optics for you?
Stew