Author Topic: I don't reload so which factory cartridge will you recommend for...  (Read 2123 times)

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
...my next Handi.   I have a safe full of rifles, including my loved Encore.  I have been bitten by the Handi Bug though.  In these parts I can pick up a used Handi for the cost of an Encore barrel.  Matter of fact sold an Encore barrel (22-250) to a dealer and bought a .243 Handi.  Appears to be an Ultra with the laminate wood and 22'' barrel.
I will use this for whitetail hunting, possible varmint hunting and target shooting.  I want a versatile round.  Note, on my Encore I have really fell in love with the 25-06 for my whitetails.  I used a .270 for years for whitetails.   I am open to suggestions and I take it very seriously.  Should I send my .243 to David White for a trigger job (which this one is pretty good) and to free float it?  Or should I look at buying another Handi... say .25-06 or 30-30 or .270 or 30.06. 
Thanks!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: I don't reload so which factory cartridge will you recommend for...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:55:02 AM »
A good place to start would be to read the FAQs link Best Factory Ammo;)

While you're in there read the trigger hone info, most here just do their own, pretty easy if you're good with simple tools and the least bit handy, download Perklo's detailed step by step instructions.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sawzall

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:02:53 AM »
You need to find what shoots good in your rifle.  In my Stevens 300 .243 I have great success with Remington 100gr. Cor-Lockt ammunition.  Performs admirably on deer and is almost as accurate as my handloaded match rounds.

Offline stewmagoo

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:50:55 AM »
A good place to start would be to read the FAQs link Best Factory Ammo;)

While you're in there read the trigger hone info, most here just do their own, pretty easy if you're good with simple tools and the least bit handy, download Perklo's detailed step by step instructions.

Tim
Tim,  I don't know how I missed that one, heading there now.  Stew

Offline stewmagoo

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:53:04 AM »
You need to find what shoots good in your rifle.  In my Stevens 300 .243 I have great success with Remington 100gr. Cor-Lockt ammunition.  Performs admirably on deer and is almost as accurate as my handloaded match rounds.
sawzall,
Thanks for the info.  Ironic that you say that because my Ruger M77 loves core-loks, over alot of its competitors.  As for that matter my 25-06 loves the 100 grainers too.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 10:23:58 AM »
What calibers do you currently own? What kind of shooting/hunting do you do... without knowing, I would probably recommend a .223 and .30/30 for inexpensive shooting and versatility... in a single shot you can find someone or custom ammo maker to get spire point ammo for the .30/30 (no tubular magazine to contend with)... or for an all around gun and one to really complement the .243, you could go with a .308. 
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline phoneman7

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 10:29:47 AM »
buy a 45/70.  Then buy a lee loader, some cast bullets and some imr3031 or trail boss.  Total minus the rifle, maybe 100 bucks and it will get you in bullets for awhile.  Its what i started reloading with and its a blast.  I think it is the easiest to start reloading for.  All your reloading equipt for it will fit in an ammo can.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 11:27:09 AM »
If I were to buy 1 Handi to do it all, it would be a 30-30. Ammo is relatively inexpensive, and available any where ammo is sold. You can use it for varmints or deer out to 200 yards. Just buy different ammo for it's purpose. You could even use it for elk or moose in a pinch, if you do not shoot too far and place a well constructed bullet where is counts. The 30-30 has a reputation for being accurate in the Handi platform.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 12:29:21 PM »
form bugs to elk you can not beat the 270.  modern so its loaded close to what they claim. most rifles shoot well to great with factory ammo. lite recoil.

Offline stewmagoo

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 03:30:43 PM »
form bugs to elk you can not beat the 270.  modern so its loaded close to what they claim. most rifles shoot well to great with factory ammo. lite recoil.
   This round is my favorite whitetail round, and I may add another one just to give to my 15yr old. 

If I were to buy 1 Handi to do it all, it would be a 30-30. Ammo is relatively inexpensive, and available any where ammo is sold. You can use it for varmints or deer out to 200 yards. Just buy different ammo for it's purpose. You could even use it for elk or moose in a pinch, if you do not shoot too far and place a well constructed bullet where is counts. The 30-30 has a reputation for being accurate in the Handi platform.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
I hear that the 30-30 is supposedly the best overall for fit and finish and workmanship on all of the factory Handi's... I'm getting interested

What calibers do you currently own? What kind of shooting/hunting do you do... without knowing, I would probably recommend a .223 and .30/30 for inexpensive shooting and versatility... in a single shot you can find someone or custom ammo maker to get spire point ammo for the .30/30 (no tubular magazine to contend with)... or for an all around gun and one to really complement the .243, you could go with a .308. 
I currently have a 30-30 Model 94, T/C Encore 25.06, Ruger M77 .270, countless 22 mags and 22LR and shotguns, and now a Handi .243.  Some plinking, mainly hunting.  I love 25.06 and .270 but really have those and those are shooters.  Don't use the lever action, its a safe queen.  Wanted to have a versatile round that anyone in the house can use.  I like the 308.

Offline stewmagoo

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 03:36:36 PM »
buy a 45/70.  Then buy a lee loader, some cast bullets and some imr3031 or trail boss.  Total minus the rifle, maybe 100 bucks and it will get you in bullets for awhile.  Its what i started reloading with and its a blast.  I think it is the easiest to start reloading for.  All your reloading equipt for it will fit in an ammo can.
Really? That 45/70 is a caliber that I know nothing about.  I see some really beautiful rifles in this caliber here and seems to be a very popular round.  I kind of understand why now.  Like to learn more.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 03:47:16 PM »
I currently have a 30-30 Model 94, T/C Encore 25.06, Ruger M77 .270, countless 22 mags and 22LR and shotguns, and now a Handi .243.  Some plinking, mainly hunting.  I love 25.06 and .270 but really have those and those are shooters.  Don't use the lever action, its a safe queen.  Wanted to have a versatile round that anyone in the house can use.  I like the 308.
Well given this info, I would definitely start with a .223, then a .308. To me you have a gap between your rimfire and your .243... on the top end, your .270 will do alot, but everyone should have a .30 cal of some sort, I have a preference for short action calibers,  but considering that you currently own a .25/06 and .270, you might want to consider a .30/06 for your .30 cal.   
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline stewmagoo

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 04:39:30 PM »
Well given this info, I would definitely start with a .223, then a .308. To me you have a gap between your rimfire and your .243... on the top end, your .270 will do alot, but everyone should have a .30 cal of some sort, I have a preference for short action calibers,  but considering that you currently own a .25/06 and .270, you might want to consider a .30/06 for your .30 cal.
I really think I am going to opt out on the .223.  I feel with the world flipping out with ammo and especially with .223 and 5.56, I think my .243 can fill that void.   I still may really consider that 30 30 though...

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »
make it EASY on yourself

buy one of each, buy a box of ammo of each bullet weight

take a month off work

go to the range (better pack a lunch)

shoot

shoot some more

keep shooting

eventually, you'll find the One(s) that shoot best for you, fit/recoil wise in the power level you are looking for.

I'm trying to do that myself, but my wife won't take a second job for the summer so I can take off the needed time to do these important things!

Offline stewmagoo

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »
make it EASY on yourself

buy one of each, buy a box of ammo of each bullet weight

take a month off work

go to the range (better pack a lunch)

shoot

shoot some more

keep shooting

eventually, you'll find the One(s) that shoot best for you, fit/recoil wise in the power level you are looking for.

I'm trying to do that myself, but my wife won't take a second job for the summer so I can take off the needed time to do these important things!
Now that would be awesome!  Not real world for me... but a man can dream. 

Offline phoneman7

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 05:37:32 PM »
45/70 can be loaded down to like shooting a 45 colt and loaded up like shooting a 458 mag.  They are fun to shoot and will kill anything on this planet.  Looks like you have the bottom and mid range covered as far as calibers.  Might as well step up to a big bore.

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 05:47:32 PM »
Let me throw my $.02 worth in.  The 30-06 is a very versatile round.  You can find many different variations from light loads to light magnum loads.  The only problem with any factory round is the lack of ammunition of any caliber during this panic.  If you start reloading or find a friend you trust that does, you have an almost unlimited combinations at your disposal. 

I have shot the 30-06 for several years, but I have just started with the 45-70.  I've heard a lot of good about it, but I have not seen a big selection of factory ammo locally, so as a non-reloader you might run into problems.

I don't think you could go wrong with the 30-06.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 05:54:55 PM »
I would swing by the sporting goods store and pick up a few boxes of different ammo.
with the rifle bore sighted I would set up a few targets at 100 yards. 
And fire a few rounds at each target.
shoot one round out of each box to dirty the rifle,
Run a patch and shoot 3 rounds out of Box A at target A, run a patch, and repeat 3 rounds and a patch.
the smallest group wins as the ammo.  Use the rest of the smallest group to sight in the rifle.  Agai nlooking for smallest group not the closest to the bulls eye.
Return to the store, purchase more of the ammo that works best in your rifle.
Write on the target and the ammo box the letter.  So when you get back to the bench you can see what worked best.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 11:46:46 PM »
You're doing yourself a disservice by not reloading.  I've loved to shoot since I was child, but didn't get to thoroughly love shooting til I started reloading at age 69.  What a waste of all those years :'(   Reloading is the key to lots more shooting, plus the satisfaction of crafting your own loads and taking game with them.  I can shoot some centerfire calibers cheaper than buying rimfire ammo.  It gives you more bang for your buck.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline stewmagoo

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 01:38:51 AM »
I would swing by the sporting goods store and pick up a few boxes of different ammo.
with the rifle bore sighted I would set up a few targets at 100 yards. 
And fire a few rounds at each target.
shoot one round out of each box to dirty the rifle,
Run a patch and shoot 3 rounds out of Box A at target A, run a patch, and repeat 3 rounds and a patch.
the smallest group wins as the ammo.  Use the rest of the smallest group to sight in the rifle.  Agai nlooking for smallest group not the closest to the bulls eye.
Return to the store, purchase more of the ammo that works best in your rifle.
Write on the target and the ammo box the letter.  So when you get back to the bench you can see what worked best.
mc,  I am going to take your advice.  I have went to FAQ section and researched the best factory loads for my .243.  As soon as I figure out my optics choice, I am going to hit the range, we as soon as its not in the teens weather wise.

Offline stewmagoo

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 01:42:07 AM »
You're doing yourself a disservice by not reloading.  I've loved to shoot since I was child, but didn't get to thoroughly love shooting til I started reloading at age 69.  What a waste of all those years :'(   Reloading is the key to lots more shooting, plus the satisfaction of crafting your own loads and taking game with them.  I can shoot some centerfire calibers cheaper than buying rimfire ammo.  It gives you more bang for your buck.

Pete
Pete, I really agree with you.  I would love to get into reloading, mainly for the self gratification of it, plus cost effective as well.  Just kind of intimidated about all the choices of equipment that is out there and what is needed.  Of course this could result in PM's by you experts.  I have a garage that is getting weeded out and this summer it is going to turn back in to my garage and I have a place already pictured for reloading.  Thanks, Stew

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 02:51:06 AM »
I started with the Lee Anniversary Kit, and added the Lee Manual, dies, powder, bullets, brass etc. for my starting calibers.  I've added  lots more as I went along, but it got me started just fine.  I had been intimidated by the prospect for years, but it was simple once I started.  Just go slow and double check everything you do.  Now's gonna be a rough time to start with the panic buying that's going on.  You're going to have to be patient and grab what you can get when you find it.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/7542/inline/1

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 03:49:44 AM »
It took me several years to finally get into reloading.  I studied it every chance I got, and it can get real complicated real fast if you let it.  I never had the money free to get the kit like Pete did cause I had other things to take care of.  Finally I started small and worked up.  I bought a depriming die first and used it with a mallet and a nut with a hole big enough to let the primer fall through.  I tried to save up $30 a month for the next piece I needed.  Then I got a Lee hand press on eBay when I had the money, then dies, a scale and a funnel and on until I had what I needed.  I finally realized that I wasn't loading for competition and didn't need all of the complicated, expensive stuff yet, I just needed to get started. Deprime, size, prime, weigh powder, charge brass with powder, add a bullet and crimp, that's all.  The trimming and uniforming primer pockets and checking runout, etc. comes later.  Of course I left out cleaning, but you can do that with steel wool and a flat head screwdriver.

You can start small and be happy if you are patient and don't mind a little extra work till you can get better equipment.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 05:26:06 AM »
I was blessed with a neighbor who reloaded when I was a kid.
He taught me how and why along with all the extra safety instruction a kid could use.
My first setup was the Lee Classic hand pounder in 7.7 Arisaki (Jap).
I stumbed across that rifle for very little investment.
Biggest problem was ammo was hard to find and expensive.
Best thing I ever did. It's a great addition to the hobby and it opens up so many options.

That along with the Handi's versitile caliber selection and a guy can have a good time cheap enough.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 03:06:29 PM »
I've been loading now for 40 plus years.  I haven't shot factory ammo in 30 of those years.  Just old and ornery and want to do it myself.  That said, if you don't want to reload, go to Walmart.  Look at what's available in the ammo case.  After all the craziness of late, my local wallyworld has available the following:  300 mag, 243, 30-30, and 25-06.  Buy the 30-30, and if you ever get addicted enough to start loading, that's a good one to start with.  Plus, as a bonus, 30-30 ammo is cheaper than any of the others listed.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 03:44:30 PM »
Quote from: stewmagoo
...my next Handi.   I have a safe full of rifles, including my loved Encore.  I have been bitten by the Handi Bug though.  In these parts I can pick up a used Handi for the cost of an Encore barrel.  Matter of fact sold an Encore barrel (22-250) to a dealer and bought a .243 Handi.  Appears to be an Ultra with the laminate wood and 22'' barrel.
I will use this for whitetail hunting, possible varmint hunting and target shooting.  I want a versatile round.  Note, on my Encore I have really fell in love with the 25-06 for my whitetails.  I used a .270 for years for whitetails.   I am open to suggestions and I take it very seriously.  Should I send my .243 to David White for a trigger job (which this one is pretty good) and to free float it?  Or should I look at buying another Handi... say .25-06 or 30-30 or .270 or 30.06.  Thanks!

I'm a reloader, so wish a Handi barrel was available in .257 Roberts!  For a deer-varmint barrel.  (actually hope to have Bullberry build me one for an Encore someday).

.243 Win
6mm Rem
.250 Sav
.257 Rbts, or rounds similar to any of these ......

Methinks you have a described a need for a deer-varmint barrel/cartridge combo barrel ...... And best choice for a non-reloader might be a ...... .243 Winchester?  ;)

Offline stewmagoo

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 09:19:46 AM »
I appreciate all of the encouragement of reloading. I am strongly considering it. I think my multi purpose .243 that i picked up mat have been a great factory load choice.

Also based on your feedback. I may send to H&R for a barrel exchange program for a 30-30 or .270 or 30-06. Unless i find another great deal on one. I did spot a nice standard 30 06 for 190.

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 10:14:07 AM »
You better get it!  That sounds cheaper than sending your frame in for rebarrel!  When you consider shipping and handling, fitting fee and return shipping added to cost of a rebarrel,  you would be ahead buying local.

Edit:  I figured it up and sending in a frame for fitting would run you about $160 plus tax so I was a little off on that.  But if the one in the gun store is an ejector and you like that, you can't get that from the factory any more.  ;)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 10:42:46 AM »
+1 what OL BW said, an accessory barrel usually costs about $160 in the end, for the $190 you get a complete rifle!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 10:49:49 AM »
Thanks Quick!  I knew I had a train of thought going there but it got derailed towards the end.
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?  My train of thought makes too many stops!