Author Topic: 20 gauge turkey loads  (Read 1253 times)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
20 gauge turkey loads
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:08:05 PM »
I picked up a 20 gauge full choke Pardner to turkey hunt with.  I was looking at the prices of turkey ammo today :o.  I'm thinking of getting a Lee load all instead and rolling my own.  Anyone have a 40 yard turkey load?

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 20 gauge turkey loads
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:21:29 PM »
I  would  stick  with  factory  loads  myself  . Nothing  like  hearing  a  click  from  a  defective  reload when a  big  tom  is  20 yards away.REloads  are  fine  for  skeet or  dove  where a  dud  dont  matter  much.

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:35:52 PM »
took  this  ole  boy  with  a  20 ga.  last  spring.

Offline papadave

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »
Winchester  3" ammo.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »
Years ago I had a 12 gauge Pardner turkey model. It patterned extremely well at 40 yards with basically any 3" or 3.5" loads. My shoulder made me sell it and get a 20 gauge.

I then had a 20 gauge screw in choke Pardner with an extra full turkey choke. I patterned every 3" factory 20 gauge load I could find. None of them patterned well past 35 yards and were more realistically suited for 30 yards. I also patterned basic field loads in this gun and they patterned almost as well as the heavy kicking turkey loads.

I now have a fixed Mod choke 16 gauge that patterns well with basic Federal 1 oz. field loads out to 30 yards. I accept this limitation and hunt accordingly. In this particular gun the 1 oz. field loads pattern better than the 1 1/4 oz. high brass loads.

If you need 40 yards then I would say get a 12 gauge. For your 20 gauge don't overlook run of the mill field loads. They are much cheaper than the "turkey loads" and the pattern might pleasantly surprise you. I also recommend getting the Load All. I have one for 16 gauge. It will give you more options if you can't find a factory load that you like.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 05:24:48 AM »
If ya don't find a good handload, Federal recommends a full choke for their Flitecontrol ammo, I've used the 12ga lead stuff, it works good, I've only used the 20ga Heavyweight which is expensive, but works real good thru a Trulock Precision Hunter full choke in my TDC.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 02:17:42 PM »
Quote from: mcbammer
"I  would  stick  with  factory  loads  myself  . Nothing  like  hearing  a  click  from  a  defective  reload when a  big  tom  is  20 yards away.REloads  are  fine  for  skeet or  dove  where a  dud  dont  matter  much."

Oh yeah, great advice from someone obviously NOT a reloader
and talking out of his butt!

Instead, peruse the factory 3inch offerings from Remington, Winchester, Federal, etc. 

Their 20 gauge turkey (or specialty) loads combined with proven data from Ballisitc Products should give insight into whats possible reloading your own!

I've been reloading over 40 years, and while a 20 gauge will never match a 12 gauge's performance, Ballistic Products offers load data and components that should interest you.  (1 1/8th ounce loads in a 3in hull,  ;) )

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »
Quote from: mcbammer
"I  would  stick  with  factory  loads  myself  . Nothing  like  hearing  a  click  from  a  defective  reload when a  big  tom  is  20 yards away.REloads  are  fine  for  skeet or  dove  where a  dud  dont  matter  much."

Oh yeah, great advice from someone obviously NOT a reloader
and talking out of his butt!

Instead, peruse the factory 3inch offerings from Remington, Winchester, Federal, etc. 

Their 20 gauge turkey (or specialty) loads combined with proven data from Ballisitc Products should give insight into whats possible reloading your own!

I've been reloading over 40 years, and while a 20 gauge will never match a 12 gauge's performance, Ballistic Products offers load data and components that should interest you.  (1 1/8th ounce loads in a 3in hull,  ;) )
I  dont  care if  you  been  reloading  100  years  you  cant  garuntee  you wont  have  a squib  round  sooner  or  later. Why  take  a chance  on a  one  shot  hunt.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 04:31:02 PM »
I  dont  care if  you  been  reloading  100  years  you  cant  garuntee  you wont  have  a squib  round  sooner  or  later. Why  take  a chance  on a  one  shot  hunt.

If that makes you sleep better at night, by all means do whatever you need to do.  ;)   (for what its worth, I've had more factory duds or mishaps than reloads; just sayin'.)

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 04:52:48 PM »

If that makes you sleep better at night, by all means do whatever you need to do.  ;)   (for what its worth, I've had more factory duds or mishaps than reloads; just sayin'.)
This  guy  wants  to  begin reloading  to  turkey  hunt .  I dont  know  how much  he hunts  or  the  bag  limit.  But  10  rounds  will get  me  through  the  season  with  some  leftover. 

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 07:19:41 PM »
Now guys you have to remember we are not talking about hunting per se, but finding the best load for the application.  That would require several shells of different makeup or brands, reload or factory.  Once the proper load is found then a few will go a long way. 

As for dud rounds; except for a bad primer, which can happen in factory or reload ammo, attention to detail will insure no squibs.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 01:15:07 AM »
While I'm not advocating reloading or the lack of it I will say that for the past five years I've deer hunted exclusivily with a Handi .30-30 that I've never fired a factory round with.  Only reloads and it's killed a lot of deer and the only dud has been trying to load the bullet too far out which allowed the rifling to "cushion" the hammer strike.  Yes, this occured only at the range and totally cleared up by seating the bullet further in.

So if one wanted to get the Lee Load-All and work up a longer range load I say go for it.  However, never assume your best load will always be the heaviest one you can find.  While I shoot a 12 not a 16 I've settled on 1 oz of shot for most applications.  Occasionally using 1 1/8 when I find them cheaper.

Offline ipyrek

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 11:53:55 AM »
Shure factory ammo is expensive, but you only need 1 shell for 1 turkey, any of Federal's with flight control wad will do the job. I've been using them for a while now in my H&R turkey 20ga., and had great results so far up to 35yrds. No need to shoot further, just bring them in closer, that is part of the hunt.
28ga.mod.,20ga.mod.,20ga.full,20ga.USH, 20ga.PardnerPump,20ga.StoegerSxS,17hmr, 223Superlight, 357mag/Max,Marlin 336/30-30

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 12:16:08 PM »
Shure factory ammo is expensive, but you only need 1 shell for 1 turkey, any of Federal's with flight control wad will do the job. I've been using them for a while now in my H&R turkey 20ga., and had great results so far up to 35yrds. No need to shoot further, just bring them in closer, that is part of the hunt.
Are you speaking of your full choke or modified choke, 20? 

Offline ipyrek

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 12:12:22 PM »
FULL choke, 22" barrel.
28ga.mod.,20ga.mod.,20ga.full,20ga.USH, 20ga.PardnerPump,20ga.StoegerSxS,17hmr, 223Superlight, 357mag/Max,Marlin 336/30-30