Author Topic: Who besides Wayne York does work on a Handi Rifle?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
Who besides Wayne York does work on a Handi Rifle?
« on: February 19, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »

Till lately I've heard good (and great) things about the work Wayne York does on guns and Handi-guns in particular.

But ..... Can anyone recommend an alternative to Mr. York for doing mods and simple work on the Handi-guns?  Esp in WESTERN Washington?

Thanks!  :)

modified 21:09 pst

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: Who besides Wayne York does work on a Handi Rifle?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 05:57:31 PM »
Nope, no one else comes to mind.    ;)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Couger

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 06:06:59 PM »

Thanks Dinny!

Didn't want to hijack another thread that discussed some of the finer (and important points) between the .358 and .356 Winchester's in the Handi.

Hopefully in WESTERN Washington there's a 'smith' somewhere who enjoys working on singleshot rifles (Ruger #1's, Winchester Hi Walls, etc. ..... and not just Handi's).  :)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:43:48 PM »
What do you want to have done? Just about any decent gunsmith could do a rechamber. It takes someone dedicated and knowledgeable on the Handi to get the extractor/ejectors right afterwards.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 03:23:09 AM »

Thanks, Dinny
What about D&T Custom Gun Work by David White?

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 05:42:18 AM »
Thanks, Dinny

Busted! I wouldn't discourage anyone from him, however, I no longer recommend him. His work is exceptional, but he is not very efficient and takes offense to those who can't understand his way of operating a business. He does everything himself; shipping and receiving, all machine work, bedding, trigger tuning, metal finishing, advertising, customer service, everything! It's hard to be a one man business and turn work around in a timely manner.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline woody1071

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 08:16:49 AM »
I may be the latest to send Wayne a barrel to re-chamber to .358 Win.  I am completely satisfied with his work.  You may have read about me asking him to do the .356.  I am confident that he would do it and do it correctly if that is what you want done.  It was not that big of a deal to me so I didn't really bother with it. If I wanted a .356 that bad I would buy some ammo and send him a round with it.  It would be obvious what needed to be done.  Once he has a round I am sure that he could get the extractor to work well too.

I got my barrel back in about 2 weeks. I couldn't have asked for better service.  Wayne was nice and didn't mind taking the time to talk about my project.  I would highly recommend him.

I just thought I would give you my .02.

Offline Couger

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 12:59:52 PM »

Thanks Woodty and Dinny. 
Your post is very timely Woody, and addressed some concerns;)

I'm not too concerned that gunsmiths often take their time (sometimes) to turn an order around,  and am used to that in fact.

However if a 'smith' tried to interject his opinions or "endorsement" into a work order, wonder how long such a service-provider would stay in business!

But both shops mentioned/discussed sound EXCELLENT! (I really mean that)

Dinny asked what kind of work I need done.  Several projects involve rechamberings or chamber-tweekings (rims, extractors, so forth).  A couple barrels cut/crowned. 

Several projects include soldering on sights/bases/ramps (rather than screw-on), but I'm going to have to see what I can do more locally.  My latest trip to the gsmith was to shorten and recrown a .45/70 bbl and they did exactly what I wanted (Benchmark Barrels did an excellent job), but I have no idea why their aversion to soldering and sight-work.  They are very busy doing what they specialize in, and maybe just don't want to be distracted? 

So I'll have to pester other smiths in my area until I find one interested in my money!

I do believe and expect the CUSTOMER to be king in any transaction, but one good thing when finding someone capable and willing to provide a service, whether a restuarant - gunsmith - doctor, etc., etc. ..... is how one must really scrutinize what's really smart, needed, or a good/bad idea, so forth .....!  ;)

I have a .308 barrel I'll likely send to Wayne to shorten and install a .307Win rim (and extractor?), but probably not until this summer.  Depending how my experience with a .307 at that point will determine my desire to pursue a .30-40 project.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 02:23:57 PM »
I would look to about any local gunsmith to do your work. I like to test gunsmiths by having a barrel cut and crowned. My thought is if they mess it up (some have) I could always get it done again. Rechambering would come after they have proven themselves as competent.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 02:36:46 PM »
Thanks, Dinny

Busted! I wouldn't discourage anyone from him, however, I no longer recommend him. His work is exceptional, but he is not very efficient and takes offense to those who can't understand his way of operating a business. He does everything himself; shipping and receiving, all machine work, bedding, trigger tuning, metal finishing, advertising, customer service, everything! It's hard to be a one man business and turn work around in a timely manner.

Thanks, Dinny
Dinny,
Sorry for the call out.  He was the only one that I knew that seemed proficient in the Handi platform.  I really enjoy reading your posts and am pretty enamored with your knowledge of different round and resources that you put in to them.  You have forgotten more than some will ever know... but on another note, please keep in mind I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak, but I guess I have nothing wrong with someone being chief, cook, and bottlewasher.  After all his name is on the business, and you are only as good as your name and all parts of the process from cradle to grave.  I figure the time he would have to take to spend to bitch someone out about why is the shipping jacked up or why is the advertising not up to snuff, etc.  Old school I suppose.  Keep up the great posts and the education.
Stew

Offline Couger

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »
Quote from: -Dinny
I would look to about any local gunsmith (worth his salt!) to do your work. I like to test gunsmiths by having a barrel cut and crowned. My thought is if they mess it up (some have) I could always get it done again. Rechambering would come after they have proven themselves as competent.  Thanks, Dinny
Indeed!  The shop I mentioned only does little jobs in between their bigger (and preferred) work, but they are very competent:)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 02:54:31 PM »
  I really enjoy reading your posts and am pretty enamored with your knowledge of different round and resources that you put in to them.  You have forgotten more than some will ever know...

Just for the record, I did not pay him to say that. :D

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 04:36:41 PM »
  I really enjoy reading your posts and am pretty enamored with your knowledge of different round and resources that you put in to them.  You have forgotten more than some will ever know...

Just for the record, I did not pay him to say that. :D

Thanks, Dinny
Dinny,
It was your bubbly personality that made him say that! ;D ;D ;D
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.