Author Topic: Trigger reset  (Read 710 times)

Offline goalie

• Trade Count: (0)
Trigger reset
« on: February 20, 2013, 07:41:21 PM »
So, I got a .223 superlight and mounted a scope on it.  I put an Uncle Mike's hammer extension to make it work with the scope, and threw a snap-cap in and was checking out the trigger.  It's actually pretty nice, but when I cock the hammer and squeeze the trigger on a snap-cap, the trigger stays pulled to the rear.  If I open the action, the firing pin is sticking out of the hole.  I can pull forward on the trigger and it resets, but if I don't reset the trigger like that, but just close the action and try to cock the hammer again, it won't stay back.

Any thoughts on what I may have done or what the issue is?

Offline Doc Fillem

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Trigger reset
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:56:34 PM »
Weird. Did it do that before you put the hammer extension on? Maybe the transfer bar is hanging up? Take the hammer extension off and see what it does. Is the hammer hitting the scope?
I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.

Offline Sprint

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 02:18:40 AM »
goalie,

What happens when you dry fire it without a snap cap in the chamber?

Sprint

Offline goalie

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 03:03:51 AM »
I didn't do that.  I was unsure of whether or not it would damage the firearm dry-firing it, so I got the snap-caps. 

And it happened after I put on the extension.  The fit is close, but it is not hitting the scope. 

I'll try without the snap-cap and see if it is different.  I didn't have an issue prior to the extension when I cocked it and then let the hammer ride-forward. 

Offline goalie

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 03:05:53 AM »
Maybe the transfer bar is hanging up?

How would this happen?

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 04:36:53 AM »
Dry fire it as is without the snap cap.
If it still does it take off the extension.
If it still does it we will have to think about the internals, but not until you try the above.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 05:11:22 AM »
Sounds like the trigger return spring is not functioning or is broken.   Once the hammer has tripped and the trigger is turned loosen the trigger spring should return the trigger to the foremost position dropping the striker assembly out of the fire position.

Offline goalie

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 07:55:47 AM »
So, I opened and closed the action a few times, then took out the snap-cap and dry-fired it.  It worked just fine.  So I put the snap-cap back in and dry-fired it multiple times.  It worked just fine. 

I think I will dry-fire it a bunch tonight and see if anything else happens. 

On the bright side, the trigger is pretty dang nice for such an inexpensive firearm. 

Offline goalie

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 07:56:51 AM »
Sounds like the trigger return spring is not functioning or is broken.   Once the hammer has tripped and the trigger is turned loosen the trigger spring should return the trigger to the foremost position dropping the striker assembly out of the fire position.

It is doing that perfectly now, so I am not sure what was the issue.  Dry-firing without the snap-cap got it working again, and then it worked just fine WITH the snap-cap. 

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 08:14:21 AM »
Maybe some dirty, sticky/gummy lube on the pivot points? A good cleaning and relube might help.

Bill

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 01:22:32 PM »
Please, please, please, make SURE that your hammer is not hitting the scope.  :-\ The first Handi I bought was also the first high powered rifle I ever got and the first time I had ever mounted a scope.  My hammer was hitting the scope and I did not know it.  The barrel would just barely latch and there would be a slight bit of light between the scope and the hammer as a result, so I did not know that it was hitting.  Once I went to fire the rifle it popped open.  I did that several times before I realized that it was not supposed to pop open. (Hey I was young, gimme a break!)  I switched from low rings to medium rings.  Now I still hit the bottom of the rifle at the hinge pin with the heel of my hand to make sure that it will not pop open. 

BW

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 01:28:03 PM »
I imagine the bits will all wear in to each other now, and if you ever do take it apart a good clean & spiff will be in order anyway. You could spay it down good with some WD-40, or such, in through the hammer and trigger points, then lit it drip-dry over some rags to flush it out some.
Dont ya just love simple 'fixes'?  ;D
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974