Author Topic: No more black powder?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Will52100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
No more black powder?
« on: February 17, 2004, 02:02:03 PM »
Well, I've got to find a new outlet to get black powder, the only place I know of in at least a hundred miles will no longer sell black.  They said that due to new restrictions on selling it and the fact that it never was a big seller they will no longer handle it and there out of black to boot!

What they told me of the restrictions sounds like complete idiocy.  Yes Black powder is an explosive, but it's a LOW explosive, there are a lot more powerfull chemicles out there that can be made to go boom.  Regular gunpowder for one, and I'm not sure but I don't see why pyrodex and triple seven couldn't be made to explode.

This is a majore aggrivation, I've never shot anything but black in my muzzle loaders, and have no desire to shoot triple 7 or pyrodex, if I wanted to shoot them I'd stick to modern firearms!

If it comes down to it I could make my own, but that's one more thing I don't realy have time for.

Is there any way I can order it?
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline crossbow

No more black powder?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 02:22:20 PM »
Will, thats an interesting point you have brought there, is it really possible to make Blackpowder.I mean I have heard that without special equipment the best that can be made is a low quality powder called I think flash powder.Its an interesting subject anybody got more information on this.As regards ordering it I think Cabelas ship powders UPS,dont know if they got what you want.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Do not reactivate.

Offline Full House

No more black powder?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 02:24:23 PM »
Try here  www.mainepowderhouse.com/   you can get all you want cheap.
Full House

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
No more black powder?
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 07:53:33 PM »
http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/foxfire5.html
http://huizen.dds.nl/~wfvisser/EN/bp_making_EN.html
http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/ht/gunpowder.htm

There are a lot more referances on the web, but these will give you some idea of what's involved in making it.  Still a lot of trouble and I for one would much rather just buy it by the pound.  If I had more time and shooting was my only hobby, then I would probly make my own, but right now I don't have time.

Thanks for the Link Full house, I think next time I'm in I'll order the swiss powder for my cartrige rifle, and maybe Elephant for my cap and balls.  Too bad about having to buy 25 lbs. at a time, I was eyeing a matched pair of whitneyville dragoons!  Guess they will have to wait!  Of course 25 pounds will last me quite a while, even shooting almoust every weekend that I'm in.

Thanks guys, I feel that the restrictions on black powder is just a small step by anti gunners and that they figure to make it "just too much trouble" to get.  Really makes me mad.

Will
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
No more black powder?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 08:47:10 PM »
Uhh, what would you suggest for granulation with swiss powder?  I would like to use it with my 45-70, and also be able to use with cap-ball revolvers.  Maybe use it with 45 or 44 pistol rounds in the future.  I guess I'm looking for a generual purpase granulation.  With Goex I use 3f for everything.
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Ramrod

No more black powder?
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 12:20:30 PM »
Will, I agree with Full House, you can't go wrong with Maine Powderhouse. Get a couple buddies to order with you, they let you mix granulations of the same brand to make up your 25 pound case. I Don't use Swiss myself I'm to cheap, but everyone says it's pretty hot, and they all go to a bigger grain size (less ff's).
Making powder will probably someday be the only way to get it, right now I think it's alot cheaper to buy it in bulk.
Ramrod
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
No more black powder?
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 02:41:27 PM »
Thanks Ramrod,

Just talked with main and they said I could mix and match the 25 pound supply any way I wanted.  I think I'll order 10 lbs. of Swiss in 2F for the rifle shells and 15 Elephant in 3F.  Should last me about a year maybe.  I shoot at least 5-6 times a month, so while it'll last a while, it won't last forever!

With the way it's getting hard to find I think I'll just order 25lbs. for my self and not worry about running out anytime soon.  Don't know of anybody that would want to go in on a case anyway.  Just about everybody around here like that dang pyrodex or triple 7. :(   Then again I'm going to my first cowboy shoot this weekend so maybe there will be someone there who would like to split a case.
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
No more black powder?
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 09:41:25 AM »
I-40 is a major East-West traffic artery. Should you or your buddy be passing through Clarksville, AR there's a Swiss distributor there.

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
No more black powder?
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 02:01:04 AM »
I have had a hard time finding holy black as well. I have finally bit the bullet-or ball so to speak and switched to 777, and pyrodex which are readily available.