Author Topic: "Gun Ownership in America" on CSPAN this morning  (Read 965 times)

Offline Redtail1949

• Trade Count: (0)
"Gun Ownership in America" on CSPAN this morning
« on: February 21, 2013, 07:46:26 AM »
 I just watched a two hour segment on CSPAN’s “Washington Journal” this morning titled “Gun Ownership in America.” I highly recommend that anyone on this site watch it as well as anyone your can encourage to watch it.

It had two guest one was Mr. Larry Pratt, Executive Director of Gun Owners of America and the other was Ms. Emily Miller a reporter for the Washington Times Newspaper an a person that has her own Blog titled “Emily Gets Her Gun.”

The guests were interviewed while at the Blue Ridge Arsenal located in Chantilly, Virginia. The gun range had the owner and an employee of the range being interviewed as well as the employee demonstrating the AR15 Rifle as well as the Glock 17 Pistol. They described to laws pertaining to gun dealers and described their personal interest in firearms. They were professional and did a great job of informing people about firearms.

They guest spoke very intelligently and were very articulate as to the right of every American to own a firearm. Mr. Pratt spoke of the Second Amendment as well as the firearms laws. Mostly about just how stupid and ridiculous they are. He used the facts not emotion to support all that he stated. He was questioned by gun rights supporters as well as anti gun callers and he presented himself very well. He answered their questions in a forthright and non emotional way. He really did all gun owners a great service in the way in which he presented his arguments on behalf of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Ms. Emily Miller addressed the issues of firearms ownership from her perspective as a woman. She lived in Washington D.C. and about 1 year ago she stated that she decided to purchase a pistol for her own protection. She described in detail just how much of a hassle it was to purchase that firearm. She spoke to the extra cost and ridiculous provisions of the law that made her wait over 4 months and cost her over $400 extra dollars to obtain that pistol. Also, she spoke of the insane requirements of the laws of Washington D.C. (I urge all to go to her blog “Emily Gets Her Gun” on the Washington Times Website to read her story for yourselves.)

She stated that she had no experience with firearms previous to this purchase. She described her personal journey from a somewhat frightened and insecure woman to a proficient and confident pistol shooter. She was very articulate and informed about the firearms laws as well as pistols and rifles in general. She was a great spokesperson for women and their obtaining firearms for their personal protection. She was also a great spokesperson for all firearms ownership. I was impressed to say the least with what she said and how she said it.

There were no loudmouthed rednecks, with a beer in one hand and M-4 look alike in the other. No one was speaking in crazy terms with eyes glazed. The guest presented to all listeners, rational and well reasoned, answers to their question or objections to the rights of an individual to own firearms. I was surprised as I thought for sure it would be another Lefty attempt to put firearms and firearms ownership in the worst possible light.

Nothing could be further from the truth the show gave firearms owners, shooters, as well as a woman who wanted a means to protect herself a fair forum in which they could present themselves and their views.

There was no Piers Morgan shouting over them or totally misrepresenting the facts and decrying that they support murdering of children or that they must be insane to own any firearm.

To that, I tip my hat to CSPAN’s “Washington Journal” for letting these people present themselves and their opinions in a very fair way. As a matter of fact they are the only television show that I have seen that has been as fair about the subject.

Again, I urge all that read this both for and against firearms ownership and or regulation to watch this if you can. Ask your friends, your family, both those that believe in the Second Amendment and those that do not to watch it.

Thank you,

Redtail1949

ps:

If I lived near the Blue Ridge Arsenal I would do all my business with them.

Offline -Shaggy-

• A Real Regular

Offline JonnyReb

• Trade Count: (89)
  • Where is John Galt?
Re: "Gun Ownership in America" on CSPAN this morning
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:55:03 AM »
 Excellent!  Thanks for posting this.  J
Active trader until 9-11-14 GB

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:35:56 AM »
Larry Pratt worked for Pat Buchanan.  Pratt is a patriot.   A patriot is worth listening to.  He understands the shenanigans of the mainstream media. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline Deadeye63

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 10:15:58 AM »
I dont know if the field reporter was playing an act or legitimately was NOT what I consider to be gun savvy by any stretch of the imagination. It sure does put into context Joe Bidens remarks about a shotgun being easier than an AR15 for women. Me thinks ole Joe Biden is much more sexist than he`s willing to admit publicly, and the irony is that he does`nt have to because he demonstrated it perfectly. It`s a relief to see and hear something coming from Washington thats NOT being whipped into a lather about gun control. Well done Mr. Pratt, Well done Washington Journal, Well done Blue Ridge Arsenal.   
If indeed I am made in "God`s" image, Then I am beneath NO MAN regardless of how he is thought of.

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »
I dont know if the field reporter was playing an act or legitimately was NOT what I consider to be gun savvy by any stretch of the imagination. It sure does put into context Joe Bidens remarks about a shotgun being easier than an AR15 for women. Me thinks ole Joe Biden is much more sexist than he`s willing to admit publicly, and the irony is that he does`nt have to because he demonstrated it perfectly. It`s a relief to see and hear something coming from Washington thats NOT being whipped into a lather about gun control. Well done Mr. Pratt, Well done Washington Journal, Well done Blue Ridge Arsenal.   

I was hoping Blue Ridge would have taken one of those shotguns off the rack and say this is what Joe approves of.  You can have this little sporty target rifle AR or you can have this big bad boy that shoots shells with multiple projectiles.  Instead he sheepishly responded to the reporter's every question and made the AR look like a military weapon.  He mentioned the benefit of a folding stock was for using body armor.  He could have instead said it is adjustable for those with small stature.  Good for a woman who wants the best self defense. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline wolverine_1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 03:11:48 PM »
Great broadcast.  Hope others see this.  I sent the link on to friends.
Gene

Offline Redtail1949

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
This is the kind of broadcast that should be out front in the fight over the Second Amendment. This Mr. Pratt and Ms. Miller were great spokespersons and presented the arguments for us sanely and without emotion.
I hope the NRA and others will watch and learn. This type of presentation does more for the cause of Liberty than anything I have seen or heard to date.
redtail1949