Author Topic: I probably shouldn't have (pix added)  (Read 2727 times)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
I probably shouldn't have (pix added)
« on: February 22, 2013, 02:44:11 PM »
My day fell apart today.  I was going to drive into the city and fix my chiropractor's computer then get my back cracked then run a few errands.  Half way there the doc's assistant called and canceled.  I figured I'd run the other 2 errands since I had scheduled the day off.  It turns out my grandkids wouldn't be home so dropping stuff of to them was out then the last straw was a wreck on the highway and traffic backed up at least half a mile. 

I lucked out and made a U-turn and headed back through Newberg, OR.  I got in sight of Bi Mart and I figured even if they didn't have anything Handi or Pardner on the shelf, they at least stock my favorite sugar-free chocolate...  I walked up to the gun counter and sure enough there was a Pardner shotgun on the shelf.  It was a 12 gauge with surprisingly nice wood for a $127. 

I probably should have resisted but I couldn't  It would have been a crappy day redeemed but the change of address sticker on my drivers license was too worn out for them and I have to order another one before I can pick it up... I insisted on paying for it and having it put away for me.

The grain in the stock is really quite nice but the fore end is somewhat plain.  The other odd thing about it was it only has a rubber pad on the stock rather than a recoil pad.  I'm hoping to swap that out with the recoil pad on my .223 (not like it needs one.) 

The plan is to refinish the wood and put it on my .45-70 and the barrel will be a second barrel for it as well...  If the barrel doesn't fit the SB2 frame, I'll just swap the wood for synthetic on my .45-70 and the shotgun will be a loaner or maybe traded off down the road.  It's probably a good thing me and the old lady split or she'd have my nutz for this...

BTW, they have one more on the shelf if you hurry.  The stock isn't quite as nice but you can see grain on one side but not both like the one I bought. 

Tony

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: I probably shouldn't have
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:40:26 AM »
Actually I have two Pardners.  A 12 with a 28" (27.5) mod barrel and a 20 with a 22" mod barrel.  Both came from Pawn shops.  You don't get much choice but they are cheaper.  I usually shop the Pawns during the April sale.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 01:32:53 PM »
The only way to avoid having puppies come home with you is to not stop at the rescue..........
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 11:00:54 PM »
It happens...

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 07:48:19 AM »
I just got an eMail from the DMV and I'm about a week away from having a new change of address sticker for my license.  Oregon is crazy picky about all your info matching.  I don't think it would be this bad if we were using the federal system but it would be cheaper.  Anyway if I'm lucky I'll have it home by next weekend...

Tony

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:43:27 AM »
I just renewed my WI DL that incorporates the new Federal 'REAL-ID' with it.......lots of hoops and expense. Just wait until you have to go thru that!.....BUT WAIT, wont that mean it will simplify the whole process? That, and a CCW permit should mean we should be able to walk in, buy and carry it home, right? AFTER ALL, WE'VE ALREADY BEEN CHECKED AND VERIFIED OK
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 10:53:14 AM »
It used to be here in Oregon that having a concealed carry permit meant that you could walk in and by a gun and walk out with it the same day.  No additional checks and no fees.  Later on they started charging 10 bucks for a (so called) instant check and they like the revenue from that so it's not going away. 

The state  threatened to triple the fee awhile back and a couple members of the state legislature proposed a bill to scrap the whole thing and go to the federal system.  It was making progress until the state scraped the plan to raise fees.  Anyway it's a b*tch and I still have to wait for the DMV sticker to arrive so I can pick up my gun.

Maybe in the meantime I can order that sight I want for my .45-70...

Tony

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 02:57:47 PM »
Only a couple of the several H&R shotguns I own were a result of actually looking for them. A 20 gauge Tamer that I finally found in a gun shop in the U.P. after looking all over Lower Michigan, and a 20 gauge USH for deer hunting. The rest sort of followed me home from yard sales, pawn shops, and small out of the way gun shops I frequent. They are addicting... 8) ...Scott B.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 07:16:26 PM »
I really wanted a 20 gauge but this one had such nice grain in the stock, I couldn't walk away from it.

I'm going to look into those shorty 12 gauge rounds and reloading them...

Tony

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 04:53:57 AM »
I really wanted a 20 gauge but this one had such nice grain in the stock, I couldn't walk away from it.

I'm going to look into those shorty 12 gauge rounds and reloading them...

Tony

Load the regular shells with 7/8 oz. 20ga. loads...less kick, better patterns methinks.. :)
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 08:22:17 AM »
I've yet to get my reloading stuff set up after the move but it's been over 20 years since I used my MEC shot shell loader.  It's going to be interesting to get back into this.  I think I've forgotten more than I remember about reloading shot shells...

If I can get the recoil down low enough, I'm going to pick up a youth butt stock and let my grandkids shoot it...

Tony

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 08:27:41 AM »
Likely the 12 will make the nicest patterning 20ga.( equiv.) youve ever seen. Same for a 20 making the nicest 28 or 410. Recent reading has me convinced the 'square load' is what to look for;ie, the shot column as high as wide, and not too fast.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 01:44:14 AM »
Likely the 12 will make the nicest patterning 20ga.( equiv.) youve ever seen. Same for a 20 making the nicest 28 or 410.

The 12 makes a decent 28 gauge too.  3/4 oz of 8's makes a really fun dove load.  Recoil is a pussy cat.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 08:18:26 PM »
My driver's license sticker showed up so I'm off first thing on Friday to run errands including picking up my Pardner shotgun. 

While this is my first H&R single shot shotgun, it's my 5th 12g shotgun.  Three pumps, a double and now a single...

Tony

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »
I brought it home this evening.  I wasted no time swapping the stock to my .45-70 and these pix should show why...  This has to be the best looking pallet wood stock I've seen on any NEF/H&R...

The disappointment came when it was very difficult to remove the stock bolt at first I thought it had been cross-threaded but after cleaning out the bolt hole in the receiver, it looks like it was tapped undersized.  Here's a pic of the bolt since the hole looks OK and I couldn't get a good pic of it anyway.

You can see from the pic that the threads that were in the receiver are rounded over.  Also on this receiver I have to use a socket wrench to thread the bolt in any further than it was originally.  At first I had to use a wrench to get the bolt to go in at all but I flushed out the hole with Ed's Red gun cleaner and it got a little better.

As I see it I have 3 options, put it back together with this bolt and ignore the problem.  Get a tap the right size and chase the threads myself and buy a new bolt, or call H&R and ask them to fix it.  I'm leaning toward fixing it myself.

My last comment is just that and not a complaint.  Who really thought it was a good idea to sell a 12 gauge light weight shotgun with a hard plastic butt plate?  It's getting the recoil pad with the plastic stock from my .45-70 but it would have been one hell of a bruiser with that butt plate...  You'd think they'd sell better with a recoil pad.

Tony

Offline gcrank1

Re: I probably shouldn't have (pix added)
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 04:28:46 AM »
Odds are that the hole was good but the bolt was a oversize. Get different bolt at the hardware store and try it first, if still tight chase the action threads with the right tap, but only run that tap far enough in to get the new bolt to thread in easy.
Bolt plus/minus in production varies a fair bit.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 07:22:23 AM »
That sounds cheap enough to be a good first try.  I haven't checked my tap and die sets to see if I already have a tap that size.  If not, I'm over due for a trip to the city to a tool store for drill bits and such.  I could add the tap to my purchases and write it off with the other tools...

I was thinking the next time I order hardware for my business to get 10 or so stainless allen head bolts in that size.  I think they would be easier to install and remove than the hex head variety.  Stainless, because I like stainless.  ;D

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 07:28:17 AM »
Looks like a good stock for a nice refinish to bring out the nice grain.  ;)

A 3/8"-24 tap should get ya fixed up, a little anti-seize alone might even work, just don't run the tap in too far and break the hammer.  :o

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »
Remember guys, I was a mechanic for almost 20 years...  Anyway I did have the right size tap but I ran a die over the damaged bolt first anyway.  I went the local hardware store this afternoon to see if I could get a replacement bolt but I was only able to get a short one to use to test the threads.

Anyway new bolt would only go in 3 threads deep.  So I ran a tap in but it went so easy that I didn't have to use the T handle.  Anyway it was the easiest thread chase I've ever had to do.  I'm thinking there was a bur in the threads about 3 threads deep and after I cleaned that out, all's well.  I'm not sure if I want to reuse the bolt so it'll probably be Monday or Tuesday before I get it put back together.

I'm going to read up on how to finish wood to make the grain show.  The stock was half the reason I bought it in the first place.  The stock looks even better on my .45-70.  It's too bad they don't do a polished blue on them like on the old NEF rifles.  I pulled out my .223 to compare it with and the .223 has much nicer metal finishing.  On the other hand the stock on my .223 is plain ugly.

Tony

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 04:57:54 PM »
With the hole and bolt both chased you are probably fine for now to put it back together, you arent going to blow a head gasket on it  ;) , just pick up a replacement when convenient and swap out on the next go-round.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 09:24:05 PM »
It must be the back woods area I live in but I haven't been able to locate a 4" long 3/8-24 bolt anywhere around here.  So I went to the McMaster-Carr website and I was even able to find socket head bolts.  The come in a pack of 5 so I'll have 3 extra seeing only plastic stocks need them...  I hope I have a Allen socket the right size... :)

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 04:59:01 AM »
I've bought 4" & 5" 3/8-24 cap screws at Ace and True-Value here in Vancouver.

Tim

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 05:10:26 AM »
A lot of the big name auto parts stores have bolt selections (like NAPA).
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 09:14:41 AM »
I went to the Wilco Farm store in McMinnville, OR.  McMinnville is the biggest town around these parts and and about 35 minutes drive from here.  I should have tried NAPA, there's a big one in Mac but I didn't and my achy old joints said it was time to go home so I did.

Anyway I have a handful of bolts coming my way by mail and that's good enough I suppose.  I'll have to wait another week to put this shotgun back together.

On another point.  I know others have commented about the hollow sound of the plastic stock and it bugs me too.  I'm thinking about gluing in a short length of PVC to add support.  It wouldn't make a channel all the way to the bolt like I'd prefer but it will add enough structure to eliminate the hollow sound.

My other H&Rs will eventually all wear wood or laminate stocks but this shotgun will keep the plastic stock.  I like the evil black gun look to it. 

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 09:54:50 AM »
I've filled a bunch of syn stocks with foam of different types to eliminate the resonant hollow sound, packing peanuts work, but are kinda messy when removing, best is closed or open cell foam packing, I've also used expanding foam spray on t-holes where there's no need to access a bolt head, for a standard Handi stock it would require the use of the PVC access tube which adds weight, kinda counter productive to keeping it light weight tho. You can stuff some old socks in there to see how well they work!  ;D

Tim

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 10:02:08 AM »
'Old Socks', no way......thats where you want a nice, new, clean pair (or more) of emergency socks; maybe even a small bar of soap and a hand towel. Nothin' nicer when things go poorly than a nice wash up and pair of warm socks!
Well......there are some things nicer......but you get my drift  ;)
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 10:05:02 AM »
Old socks, like with holes in em,  not dirty old socks!  ;D

Tim

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 10:38:10 AM »
dirty old socks might make it hard to get ones head down on the stock in warmer weather if the stock ain't air tight  ;D
We have non expanding foam for insulating , filling drill holes around pipe etc. have you tried it on stocks ? I have been thinking about it on an 870 stock.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »
Not the non-expanding, just the expanding type.

Tim

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 01:10:17 PM »
It's a 12 gauge with a plastic stock...  It's already lighter than when I got it with the wood furniture...  If I were to name this shotgun, I'd call it bruiser.  I find it a bit odd that in it's original configuration it didn't come with a recoil pad.  My .223 came factory with a recoil pad and that gun has almost no recoil...

It's getting me back into shot shell loading so I can make light loads for it.  I like the idea of duplicating 28 gauge ballistics.  That way when my grandsons get big enough to shoot it, I'll have light loads all ready for them.

I like the old sock idea.  I bought all new socks awhile back and a few of the old ones are still hanging around...  One of them might get a baggie of lead shot to add 8 to 10 ounces to the stock to help with recoil and balance.  Maybe I could use my food-saver to vacuum pack shot so it won't leak all over then put the pack inside a stock.  Oh, so many good ideas to play with...

Tony