Author Topic: H&R Handi Gun II forend stock problems  (Read 586 times)

Offline Mr.Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R Handi Gun II forend stock problems
« on: February 23, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »
Well hello,

I just bought a H&R Handi Gun II with 20 gauge, 30/30, and .22 Hornet barrels.

Well the forend stock when put on the 20 gauge fits perfect. Open the action and no wiggle and it snaps shut tight.

The 30/30 and .22 Hornet lock tight but when you open the action the barrel wiggles a little due to the forend not being quite long enough to press against the receiver.

If I had another forend I could add a spacer between the wood and the plastic black spacer they have.

So would any other H&R forend stock that was made for the 20 gauge fit and work?

Gunparts corp. has some forends and I was thinking of getting two for both the rifle barrels.

Oh, and were would I go to get another barrel, say in .44 magnum or .357?

Thanks!

Offline Doc Fillem

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: H&R Handi Gun II forend stock problems
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 07:55:02 PM »
I had the same thing with my 1984 Handy Gun II combo (20 gauge and 30-30). The 20 gauge barrel was fine, the 30-30 had some wiggle when open. I don't think it hurts anything, what matters is the fit when it's closed, not open. But if it bothers you, it bothers you. Any forend should fit but the Handy Gun II has a narrow profile barrel so there may be a small gap between the barrel and forend if the forend is made for the wider profile barrel. Still not a big deal and you could fill the gap with Acra-glass.
I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 02:29:23 AM »
WELCOME Mr Smith!! Watch out for Will Robenson... He is all grown up and may carry a grudge. ::)

Long ago many guys here realized the benifits of dedicated forends for there extra barrels.  It still holds true today. :)

YES, I recomend you purchase two more forends and keep them with the barrels you fit them to.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 05:10:24 AM »
As to barrels for your older H&R, you would need to watch the auction sites for both barrels and complete guns - H&R will fit new barrels to guns that they built, but unfortunately, the current H&R did not build yours, so they won't fit anything to yours. You can find out the details on their website under the Accessory Barrel Program under Support. The new barrels may fit your receiver - I say may because that is the case for all used barrels with any receiver,  You may get lucky and it may fit perfectly or you may have to fit the barrel by removing some metal or adding shims - see the stickys for fitting info. One final option would be to take a welded lug shotgun barrel and have someone use it to make you a new barrel (search for barrel stubbing for more info on this). Most early shotgun barrels are brazed and may not be strong enough for rifle calibers. Same comments on fitting that barrel would still apply.  My suggestion would be to buy a new .357 gun and send it in to have a 44 barrel fitted by the factory. If you buy a new riffle caliber like 223, you would have more options, since the .357 and 44 are built using shotgun frames and can only be factory fit with a shotgun barrel or the .357 or 44 barrels. There are a lot more options for the Centerfire Rifle (SB2) receivers

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 05:13:30 AM »
How about that 'spring loaded forearm' mod recently?
BTW, a little wiggle when open is normal, and we dont shoot them that way. As long as it snugs up nice closed and has proper headspace you are good to go. These are not nicely hand fitted British single shot rifles, and even with our mods they will never be.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Mr.Smith

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 06:51:00 AM »
Thanks guys.

I took the 30/30 barrel and some old 30/30 ammo I had to the indoor range (life membership has it's advantages). Open sights and 150 gr Remington slugs just dropped the slugs right in the black bull at 25 yards. No sight adjustment needed on that simple open sight that came with the gun. I guess the previous owner had it already sighted in.

My brother has a H&R 20 we bought for him when he was 14 or so. I'll drop by them and see if his forend fits my gun (no I won't get his but then I'll just order two to match.)

I also note the barrels have a few tiny rust spots where it got through the hard chrome finish. I'm thinking about gun-kote or something to put over the barrels for extra protection from the elements.

And I'll have to get .22 hornet dies cause the ammo was $60 per box of 50! Way way to much for my taste. I reload about 15 different cartridges so no biggie. I even have 45gr sp slug already.

All in all the gun is excellent.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 07:10:20 AM »
For 22 H dies I enthusiastically recommend the Lee Collet Neck Sie die set c/w the FLS (for when you just gotta). It simplified my 22H loading a BUNCH.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Mr.Smith

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 01:27:21 PM »
Ok a few questions.

My guns SN is BA47****, so was it early or late or any changes on the design I should know?

The .22 Hornet barrel is the one below (with rifle sights) and the other photo is the hornet's lugs.

I don't see any massive weld, so how are they attached?

Thanks.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
These early guns lugs are not welded on.. They are silver soldered on and WOULD pop off if struck hard.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.