Author Topic: plasti dip  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Dales66Ford

• Trade Count: (0)
plasti dip
« on: February 26, 2013, 11:10:42 AM »
Just curious if anyone has tried plasti-dipping cast bullets.  Just wondering if it would serve as a gas check or to add a bit of thickness to the bullet if needed.  Not sure if one should just apply some to the base or everything but the nose.  Also not sure how it would affect lube application or if it would even be needed after that.  At the very least you could make your bullets colorful.  Any opinions?, just me thinking out loud.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken

Offline Dales66Ford

Re: plasti dip
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 11:26:44 AM »
Wow, I figured someone would have said something about it or had an opinion why it would/would not work.  Guess it was too far out in left field.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 02:16:56 PM »
Wow, I figured someone would have said something about it or had an opinion why it would/would not work.  Guess it was too far out in left field.

It sounds like a good idea if the purpose is to prevent leading or copper fouling.  But if your bullet is already the right size for the gun, the right hardness for velocity and good lube is used, then there already is no leading.  Maybe to replace jacketed bullets because they foul the barrel, no need to clean and plastic is cheaper.  Cheaper reloading.   
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline mauserand9mm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:27:17 PM »
I guess the reason for the lack of a huge response is that no one has tried it.
I have doubts that it would work though - I think temperature may be an issue and that it wouldn't protect against gas cutting of the projectile base. I only use "off-the-shelf" cast projectiles and all have been hard cast with a synthetic coating (the coating was rated for a velocity of 1700fps, although there are other versions with ratings up to 2200/2400fps, without a gas check). I'm not sure what the coating is but is seems to have a higher temperature rating than the lead itself. I have melted a few down and the synthetic coating remains as a shell of what the projectile once was.
I've also had to use lube on some of these projectiles as the coating has been completely stripped from the driving band part and resulted in eventual leading of the barrel.

By all means if you already have the components and time, then go ahead and try it. If you use caution and check after each shot, then the worst that will happen is that you'll end up having to spend time scrubbing out the lead from the barrel.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:17:19 AM »
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?58-Boolit-Lube-!   http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?171403-Powder-Coating-Boolits
I wouldn't try a plastic dip on my bullets as the experience with it on tools/tool handles is that it burns at a fairly low temp and leaves a black, gooey residue. Two discussions about coating bullets above...

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 09:34:33 AM »
I guess the reason for the lack of a huge response is that no one has tried it.
I have doubts that it would work though - I think temperature may be an issue and that it wouldn't protect against gas cutting of the projectile base. I only use "off-the-shelf" cast projectiles and all have been hard cast with a synthetic coating (the coating was rated for a velocity of 1700fps, although there are other versions with ratings up to 2200/2400fps, without a gas check). I'm not sure what the coating is but is seems to have a higher temperature rating than the lead itself. I have melted a few down and the synthetic coating remains as a shell of what the projectile once was.
I've also had to use lube on some of these projectiles as the coating has been completely stripped from the driving band part and resulted in eventual leading of the barrel.

By all means if you already have the components and time, then go ahead and try it. If you use caution and check after each shot, then the worst that will happen is that you'll end up having to spend time scrubbing out the lead from the barrel.

We'll post targets here and see how they compare to the site that uses a black-haired witch as a mascot.   :P
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline BAGTIC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 06:31:24 AM »
Plasti-Dip also builds up in a thick layer. It might be difficult to seat or chamber.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 04:27:51 PM »
Try it out and let us know how it works.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
How desperate do you have to be for bullet lube to try plasti-dip?  Lee Alox is easy to use, cheap and works great...

Tony