Author Topic: Full Length or Neck Size for Reloading a Handie 223?  (Read 680 times)

Offline MINNESOTA DICK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Full Length or Neck Size for Reloading a Handie 223?
« on: February 18, 2004, 02:36:52 AM »
1) When you guys reload for you Handie 223 rem do you full length resize or just neck size you cases?

2) Is anyone out there using the 50gr Speer TNT for relaoding and if so would you like to share some info about it.  I am thinking about trying some of them out on some P-dogs this spring.  :wink:

Minnesota Dick
Happy shooting, may you hit what you aim at.

Minnesota Dick

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Full Length or Neck Size for Reloading a Ha
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 03:40:48 AM »
1.)  I full length resize.  You can try neck sizing only, but you may have sticking problems.

2.) Sorry, I don't load this round at this time.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 04:32:54 AM »
Neck size only.  Never had a problem with stuck cases.  No info on the bullet you ask about but this summer I am planning on working up a 40 grn v-max load, aka yote busting rounds :grin:
I must be crazy.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 05:52:04 AM »
I neck size only but my .223 isn't a handi its a CZ 527 varminter, I neck size for my .243 handi and don't have any problems some guys believe that full length sizeing helps to prevent stuck cases, I can prove that either way yet 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline 223Shooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 08:38:11 AM »
I usually neck size only for my .223 NEF Handi. I have full length sized also. No difference in accuracy with my rifle. Sorry, dont load any 50gr bullets...all 55gr. Currently a 55gr Hornaday SPSX. Very accurate in my NEF using W748 powder.    :D

Offline MINNESOTA DICK

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 12:40:12 PM »
Thanks for the replys.  I guess I will go with the neck sizing using a Lee Collet die.  I picked a box of Speer 50 gr TNT's today and am going to load some up and will try them out on some paper and see how they shoot.

Minnesota Dick
Happy shooting, may you hit what you aim at.

Minnesota Dick

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
Neck Size for Reloading a Handie 223
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 01:02:33 PM »
I would go with the neck size for reloading the .223.   It is easier on the brass.   If you have trouble with sticking I would polish the chamber.  

H&R/NEF use their tooling a bit beyond what most manufacturers do to help keep down the costs.   As a chamber reamer wears out it might leave scratches what will grab the brass and hold on to it.   Polishing will usually solve this problem.  

Check your chamber real carefully for scratches,   and polish them out if you find any.
Deactivated as trouble maker