Author Topic: 327 Federal magnum  (Read 1149 times)

Offline peyton

• Trade Count: (0)
327 Federal magnum
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »
I have been wondering if anyone knew who would make a H&R barrel for 327 FED Magnum?  I recently got a buffalo classic in 45 colt and thought about the second barrel.  Also,  how hard is it to swap?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: 327 Federal magnum
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 06:16:33 PM »
Easiest way to go is to stub on a british 303 barrel.  They have 5 fat lands and shoot cast bullets really well, I have made up several and even more of the 32 H&R Mag chambered barrels.  It is an easy project and produces a nice little gun, still think the 32-20 is my favorite though.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 03:16:26 AM »
I'm a big fan of those little rounds. One of these days I'm gonna have to get one. Got to find a stub first......
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 03:41:16 AM »
I have a 32/20 Trotter special and it is a favorite!! I even shot a deer with it this last season!

But I must say if I did not the "upstart" 327 has allot going for it!  First off, you can fire about six different calibers from it!!! The power of the 327 is close to the heavier 32/20 loadings.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 04:02:13 AM »
IIRC the 32 Mag handloads can equal the 32-20 so the 327 certainly should be able to, or even pass it a bit. I consider the cast bullet I would be using as the real speed limiting factor in any of them, but jacketed will give you a world beyond mine.
If building one up Id go the 327 for the same reason as having a 357Max or a 454 (now wouldnt all of those make a nice 'family', along with a 22LR to use S,L,or LR). Truth is, for me, Id be handloading the CF's into the longest cases anyway, though I suppose if a box of the shorter cased rounds fell in my lap Id use 'em.
Still think the 30Carbine would be a dandy too, especially with a faster twist than the standard for it to use some longer/heavier bullets in .308 dia.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Couger

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 12:26:28 PM »
Easiest way to go is to stub on a british 303 barrel.  They have 5 fat lands and shoot cast bullets really well, I have made up several and even more of the 32 H&R Mag chambered barrels.  It is an easy project and produces a nice little gun, still think the 32-20 is my favorite though.  Larry

Hello Larry.  How well would the .327 Federal mag work in a .308 barrel?

Do you think a .308 barrel make a "good" .327 Fed Mag?  ;)

I've noticed you like using a .311 bore barrel to make the .327 "rifle/carbine" barrels, but I've wondered how well a .308-cal .327Fed would propel .30 cal rifle bullets as a possible substitute for a .300 Whisper [substitute]!?  :) 

When studying 'whisper specs and performance' have discovered that as little as 11-12 grains of propellent is enough to power subsonic loads of various weights from 150 to 200 or more within expected whiper velocities!  (this is from the whisper case).  Surely there'd be ample space in the .327 case?

Of course the .327 case would propel much lighter .327mag and .30Carb weights [well] too.

Thanks.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »
Still think the 30Carbine would be a dandy too, especially with a faster twist than the standard for it to use some longer/heavier bullets in .308 dia.

I 2nd that. A 16" threaded for a can would make for some nice, quiet plinking with subsonic loads.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 05:38:49 PM »
Problem is, that unless you have a removable pilot reamer, the .312 pilot will not fit in a 308 bore, so the reamer can't cut a chamber in one.  Other thing is that the .303 barrels have really fat wide lands, 5 of them which makes them real happy with cast bullets.  The best of all of these is the 32-20, the case shape is less prone to sticking than the real long .327 Federal or even the 32 H&R Mag.  The 30 Carbine is nice but does not have a rim, so it is not as easy to do in a Handi.  Also, 30 carbine rounds have case lengths all over the block, the longest is about .010 under the SAAMI spec, others are even shorter, because they seat on the case mouth this is a problem, if you cut a SAAMI spec chamber you will have excess head space.  Because they seat on the case mouth you can't use a roll crimp on them and even a taper crimp causes head space problems.  A 30 carbine cut a little short is very nice to shoot and will shoot subsonic 180gr cast with about 8 or 10gr of 1680 as I recall, (you might want to check that).  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 04:49:00 AM »
Those concerns are exactly why I suggested running 32-20 brass through a 30C size die and cutting a rimseat (see my thread on the 30Carbine-Rimmed not too long ago).
FWIW, if you do a std 32-20 chamber on a std 308 barrel the chamber mouth will be oversize to the bore. A lead bullet that fits the case/chamber will have no problem 'swagging' down to the barrel dimensions, jacketed?......perhaps less than optimum and with longer/heavier bullets a pressure spike?
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Couger

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 06:03:50 AM »

THANK  YOU  Larry.

Beat my head against the proverbial wall trying to design/decide if I wanted to proceed with "my project."  Doesn't sound like such a good idea!  :-\   :'(

GCrank;  check "Steve's Pages" on cartridge dimensions and all .......

He lists a .30-20 Thompson (.308 cal I believe) that might be what you're interested in?
Give it a looksee!  (and comment once you do?)

Larry,  What do you think is a good source for a .308 barrel to stub in a .30 Herrett rifle bbl?  Thanks!

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 06:47:29 AM »
Yes, that 30-20TC covers what I tried to say about dia.'s etc. very well, and John Taffin's (Taffin Tests, The 32-20) is excellent.
My reason for the 30C-R is that regular 32-20 cases can be used, the 30C chamber reamer isnt 'special', nor are dies and the rim cut is relatively easy. I think I even heard that there is a carbide die for 30C, but Im not sure; if so, wouldnt that make resizing a snap. A proper chamber could make use of 30C ammo feasible too, though if throated for longer bullets maybe not. The 30C is already the right thing for 30cal. bullets and the readily available 30cal. barrels.
I still like the idea of the 327 cartridge for rifles too and if I didnt have the stuff (or access to) to do the above and had to 'tool up' Id go for it.
Maybe everybody should call H&R and say they want one and a choice of sights and/or scope mount and all the stock options!  :P :(
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 07:30:29 AM »
Fat chance there. We all had this discussion about what----year and a half ago?? That was one of the primary reasons I was for the 300AAC round.... you can make cases from 357 cases, even though they are short necked . Actually you could just get a shallow chamber by about .015 and trim down a set of inexpensive Lee dies by .015 and it should work fine if you were running a stub or insert, it would still work with rimless brass also, just have to shorten the brass also accordingly. I would have loved for H&R to have put out a 327 mag, or a 32/20, but at least the 300AAC was made for awhile. I am hoping it might have a life as a factory round, for at least awhile. Once some of the guys here fool with it a bit and see what they can do, I think it might catch on. It is a hoot to shoot. ;) 8)
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 08:18:17 AM »
30 cal barrels are a dime a dozen, I have a couple sitting here.  I also have a 30 herrett reamer some place.  Larry

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »
up here, 303 barrels are readily available.

note, some are only 2 groove. and I believe some of the 5 grooves are slightly different depending on the model they were pulled from.

but I doubt it makes a difference.

also, has anyone stubbed a Brit barrel, with a shortened chamber for 7.62x39?   I understand you only need to shorten the chamber end to end up with a x39 chamber.

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 03:50:38 PM »
I want the .327 Fed. I have a 15inch piece of mosin nagant barrel to use as a liner. need to get a .410 barrel and find someone to do the machine work. i wonder how that extra inch of barrel tube will function as a flash hider? or port it for a brake? I imagine using .32 s&w long with heavy for caliber bullets for pest rounds just like the heavy slow 38s in a maxi barrel.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 04:02:13 PM »
Look at the ballistics for the British 310 Cadet to get an idea about how that will shoot  ;D .
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline gjgalligan

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 06:27:30 AM »
I have a 32/20 Trotter special and it is a favorite!! I even shot a deer with it this last season!

But I must say if I did not the "upstart" 327 has allot going for it!  First off, you can fire about six different calibers from it!!! The power of the 327 is close to the heavier 32/20 loadings.

CW

I know of 4, .32 S&W, .32 S&W long, .32 H&R Mag, & the .327 Mag.
What are the other 2?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 06:47:18 AM »

CW

I know of 4, .32 S&W, .32 S&W long, .32 H&R Mag, & the .327 Mag.
What are the other 2?

Don't forget the colts....  32L Colt, Short Colt and newer (Same as long) Colt New Police. ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.