Author Topic: Lil Gun powder?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Lil Gun powder?
« on: February 27, 2013, 01:58:38 AM »
With Lil Gun being an issue do to forcing cone wash on the .454 Casull loads, has anyone determined if it is a problem with any other calibers? Thanks.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Re: Lil Gun powder?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 01:39:58 PM »
No problems in my Ruger/TC level 45 LC loads in my Ruger wheelguns or my Encore. Lilgun is the only magnum pistol powder I use anymore. There are other good powders out there that other folks swear by but this is the only one for me. For what I load these days, Lilgun and Unique does it all.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 01:53:03 AM »
With Lil Gun being an issue do to forcing cone wash on the .454 Casull loads, has anyone determined if it is a problem with any other calibers? Thanks.

If it's a problem in the 454 Casull, why would't it be a problem in others?

Offline 454PB

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 10:10:46 AM »
Any of the slow burning ball powders run at pressures seen in .454 Casull will eventually cause erosion of the forcing cone. I've been using Lil'Gun in  my .454's, and my guns already had some erosion from using H-110, AA9, WW296, and WC820. If you're going to play, you,re gonna have to pay!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 10:23:28 PM »
tell you what i ran into. I had my ar15 in 50beowulf loaded with lilgun and wc297 at the range one day. both loaded to simular pressures. I dumped a mag of 7 about as fast as i could pull the trigger with lilgun and noticed smoke comming off the barrel. It was hot enough to about light a cigerette. Let it cool and for grins did the same with 297 and could hold the gun in my bare hands by the barrel for a couple seconds. I had allreay quit using it in handguns and figured id burn the rest of the keg i had left up in the beo and 22 hornet but after that i gave the rest of it away. No more of it in my loading room.
blue lives matter

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 10:33:40 AM »
tell you what i ran into. I had my ar15 in 50beowulf loaded with lilgun and wc297 at the range one day. both loaded to simular pressures. I dumped a mag of 7 about as fast as i could pull the trigger with lilgun and noticed smoke comming off the barrel. It was hot enough to about light a cigerette. Let it cool and for grins did the same with 297 and could hold the gun in my bare hands by the barrel for a couple seconds. I had allreay quit using it in handguns and figured id burn the rest of the keg i had left up in the beo and 22 hornet but after that i gave the rest of it away. No more of it in my loading room.

My experience mirrors Lloyd's. The difference in heat produced by Lil' Gun in all my firearms(both handguns and handgun caliber carbines) was so much more pronounced  than from the other  powders I use, I actually quit using it before the talk of excessive forcing cone erosion even appeared. Especially since it never gave the the increase in velocity over H110/W296, nor did it give me the accuracy. Once the talk of excessive flame cutting came out, I used the last of what I had in the carbines and have not missed it at all.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline greenrivers

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 05:26:18 PM »
Sounds like the same conclusion. Get rid of it. I had thought to use it up in low pressure loads, but why chance it or abuse the throats. Thanks for your thoughts.

Offline oscar338

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 10:00:14 AM »
I have shot it in 454,  45 colt  and 44 mag without any issues.   No heat that wasnt normal,  my forcing cones look fine.  Have put 3 pounds of it through 2 guns..   I think it may have issues if pushed to the limit but I stay on the lower end .   I get decent groups out of it too.  Not gonna throw mine out yet. 

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 01:26:53 PM »
I've only used it in.357.In four different guns.Everyone got a lot hotter than any other powder I have ever used and I have used a lot of powders.