Author Topic: 357 MAG oal...  (Read 494 times)

Offline zero

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
357 MAG oal...
« on: February 27, 2013, 02:02:03 PM »
 My 357's cylinder will fit 1.75" bullets, as opposed to the regular 1.59... so my question is, when i seat the bullets out(past book oal) do i need to adjust the load accordingly? For instance, i like to load 38 special +p using 158gr plated bullets. My speer manual says the max load for lead 158s with with 700-x is 4.4gr at 1.51. But if i seat to 1.60, that wouldn't be the max load anymore would it(due to added internal case capacity)? At that oal, it's as roomy inside as a 357 case, just not as strong of case walls.

And another question, speer lists their 180gr TMJ silhouette bullet for use in 357 contenders, but in the write up it says that its safe for use in any 357 that can accommodate the longer 1.69 oal. So does that mean i can use that and other like heavyweights in it due to the extended length? It's a jp sauer, very thick cylinder walls, i believe the used the same frame and cylinder as their 45 colt and 44 mag just drilled it for 357 instead. I read a review by paco kelly in which he mentioned being able to use 200gr cast bullets well

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: 357 MAG oal...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:32:32 PM »
The case is made of brass... It offers no real strength in a load...

YES, seating a bullet longer than suggested OAL for any given load will lower pressures. BE CAREFUL!!!  WATCH PRESSURE SIGNS... they grow FAST with these pistol powders...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline zero

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »
Are there even any pressure signs for 357/38?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 11:19:29 PM »
Are there even any pressure signs for 357/38?

Not being a smart ass, but based on your question, I strongly suggest you stick with published loads, and suggested OAL. 

YES, you can over load any cartridage to dangerious results...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 04:04:49 PM »
I too suggest sticking with published loads and OAL.  I have witnessed a Ruger Blackhawk (strong gun) shell as the result of too much pressure.

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 05:04:31 PM »
Couple of things that apply to the 357 magnum.
When the 357 Mag was designed and guns built for it, the pressures accepted by SAAMI were 47,500CUPs. That's in the ballpark with some rifle cartridges. As the guns of the day, primarily S&W, wouldn't stand up to the beating, SAAMI lowered the pressures to 45,000CUPs. Still a hefty round. Today, SAAMI accepted pressure is 35,000PSI. While there is no direct comparison between CUPs and PSI, there's been a tremendous reduction in the power of the 357 Mag. Frankly, they should drop the Magnum from it. The reason for the pressure reduction per SAAMI is that they were seeing a lot of import guns that folks were buying that would just not hold up to the pressure of the 357 Mag. So they have basically neutered it to keep the cheapy crap pistols from hurting someone.
Yes, the J P Sauer pistols, primarily the Western Marshal, are actually made on retired Colt machinery. This was a deal back in the 70's as I remember correctly and many of the parts will interchange with a Colt. The action and gun are as strong as a Colt and the 44 Mag has taken many a load that exceeds SAAMI limits and keeps on ticking. They are a pretty slick revolver. I've had several over the years that I've taken in trade and only had one that I didn't like- I couldn't keep the ejector rod on the barrel on a nickel 44 mag. The 44 also has grips that are far too small for my large hands but the 357s have been tack drivers. I wouldn't worry about max loads in a Hawes/Sauer pistols. They will take the original pressures all day long. I ran thousands thru the ones I had with zero issues.
Yes the load pressures will be reduced. By how much would be a guess. I wouldn't suggest a guess when it comes to reloading. Either use data that is published or forget it. While you may go up a tenth or so, the "or so" could put it in the danger zone. Not all powders burn with a linear line of pressure build. Some will work great for mild to medium pressure loads but then pressures will spike. The data takes all of this into account so unless you KNOW what yer doing- don't.

Offline zero

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 01:25:09 AM »
Larry, i appreciate that info, and about the straightest answer on the sauer's strength i've had.

I'm not gonna go crazy with it, i don't do that, i just like knowing the hypothetical "coulds" but if it takes the original loads then current max is plenty for me. If i need to go beyond i'll grab my 44