Author Topic: Factory still fit used barrel?  (Read 674 times)

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Factory still fit used barrel?
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »
I'm thinking of taking the easy way out. I have a couple barrels that lock up tight when shimmed, not otherwise. The .243 is a dismal shooter so far, 3" at 100 yds with handloads with IMR4350 and 70-87 gr. bullets. I'm thinking a proper fitting might help and I need to send in my frame anyway as I think the firing pin broke and I don't want to mess with it anymore. Too many irons in the fire. Will the factory fit my used barrels to my frame? I read they used to do this for a reasonable fee.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Factory still fit used barrel?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:42:16 AM »
Yes, if they can, but if it requires shims to fit, more than likely they won't be able to because the pivot is already cut too deep, they can cut it deeper to fit, but not if it's already too deep, they don't shim, see Winterhawk's report in the Thanks to Brian sticky.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 07:24:01 AM »
I gave up on the used barrel fitting for this one but sent the frame in on the 1st for repair. This is the one with the firing pin problem (I think) and I requested a trigger job. Two days ago they notified me they received it, today I got an email saying it's done and on the way home! The email stated "repair completed" but this is so fast I'm nervous it's just been sent back as-is for some reason. I know, I'm a worry wart. But man that's fast. If it's fixed I think Remington has set a new record for fast turn around. I was prepared to wait an easy month. We'll see. I'll let you know how it went. I really need this frame running as it's home to some of my favorite barrels, including a Hornet I reamed to 'K' with a reamer borrowed here. This makes the 4th time this frame has been back to the factory. It's a pre-2000 but was originally a .223 when I bought it long ago. Now it won't qualify for any new factory rifle barrels except the 'low pressure' stuff.  P.S. There was no mention of any fee or charges. If they fixed it under warranty on a 25 year old gun they didn't make I'm going to be really impressed.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 07:41:37 AM »
That's not uncommon, pretty normal from past reports and my own, turn around on my last accessory barrel was 1 week, 2 weeks has been the norm recently, just depends on how busy they are.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 06:08:53 PM »
Remington service update; I got my frame back today, UPS.  They replaced the hammer spring, firing pin, and lifter spring and 'adjusted' the trigger to within 'factory specs'. It now breaks at a nice clean 3.5 lbs., a big improvement. There was no charge at all and turn around time was incredibly fast. I'm very happy with this treatment from Remington/H&R.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 03:16:35 AM »
This is one of the things I see as a great value in the Handi Rifle.  I poke around single shot forums quite a bit, and to be honest with you, I don't see much to make me buy a Ruger #1 over a Handi.  You can't beat CS like that and just about all of my Handi's shoot MOA or less.  Yeah, you can spend a few hundred more, but can you improve on anything?  I think a lot of it comes from a status thing.   "I spent more, so it's better".  Most of the regulars here already know that's a joke.

It seems there is improved fit and finish on Handi stocks and bluing, and that won't hurt to put them up front.  Is Brian in there somewhere???

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491