Author Topic: Barrel fitting - Is this a problem?  (Read 822 times)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Barrel fitting - Is this a problem?
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:08:59 AM »
Should I be able to close a year old factory fitted barrel (44 mag) on a .005" feeler gauge between the breech and frame and it lock up perfect?  And it does wobble without the forearm.  I don't remember it being like this the last time I shot it last summer but it must have been.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Barrel fitting - Is this a problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:12:06 AM »
Might have been a burr on the pivot or a defect on the chamber face originally which has since worn, has happened before, barrel shouldn't be loose, H&R will fix it.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:23:27 AM »
Thanks Tim.

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 01:56:20 PM »
Should I be able to close a year old factory fitted barrel (44 mag) on a .005" feeler gauge between the breech and frame and it lock up perfect?  And it does wobble without the forearm.  I don't remember it being like this the last time I shot it last summer but it must have been.

can you clarify please, does it lock up with NO Wiggling?  with or without forearm?

if it locks up with no wiggles, but can close on a 0.005 gauge, that won't matter UNLESS it closes on a 0.005 gauge with round in the chamber.  Even then, it it fires 100% of the time, a straight case will usually not have any issues.    Bigger concern with a bottlenecked cartridge that headspaces on the shoulder as you can get case head separation if you reload and full lenght size to any degree.

have you measured the headspace with a round in the chamber?

the space between the breech and barrel FACES have little to do with the safety aspect of shooting, from what I have read, and experienced, BUT that is predicated on the Chamber being cut correctly.

I have a 12ga shotgun that locks up solid as a vault, and I can darn near get a dime in there.  But the Rim cut is fine for headspacing.

remember, space of 0.001 is a loose as a 0.005 regarding breech/barrel interface.  As long as it is not wiggly when locked up.   
Chamber headspace is a whole 'nother issue not really related to that measurment.

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 02:47:30 PM »

can you clarify please, does it lock up with NO Wiggling?  with or without forearm?

Hi nanuk,

It no longer locks up with no wiggling. Maybe I can explain it better this way.  If I take the forearm off and roll the the rifle from side to side with one hand on the stock grip the barrel rattles.

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »
ah, forearm off, action closed up, and still has play, where it never did when new?

sounds like an issue the factory repair guys need to look at.

could be a heat treat issue?

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 06:31:45 AM »
Could be it has been that way and you never noticed it with a snug forestock fit. Now that you have noticed it wont ever be the same.
You can shim it OR you can send it back, on their auth. and nickle, and know exactly why you paid for the factory to fit it to start with. Most of us are completely on our own........
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 03:52:13 PM »
This sounds like another job for Brian!  PM him (Brian56) and he should be able to get you set up.

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone