Author Topic: Recoil pad  (Read 805 times)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
Recoil pad
« on: March 01, 2013, 08:24:50 PM »
I put the wood from my new 12 gauge on my .45-70 and while it looks great, this stock only has a hard plastic butt plate.  What recoil pad will fit an H&R stock with the least amount of fitting?

I'm hoping to put in an order to Midway this weekend for the Williams peep sight I want and I'd like to order a recoil pad at the same time. 

I'm really close to having this rifle the way I want it...

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Recoil pad
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 05:19:24 AM »
See Handi/Ultra Recoil Pad and Limbsaver Templates in the FAQs for a start.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:49:33 AM »
The slip on, in either rubber or leather (more $ but classy). anything screwed on will need final fitting unless you are way more lucky than me! They actually fit the hard or soft to the stock as it is shaped so even ordering one from H&R wont fit.
FWIW, IMHO,the hard pad will be fine on the 45-70 with any sane load, the 12ga NEEDS one badly unless you make 20ga. or lighter equiv. loads for it.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
I figure I can make a template from the old butt plate.  No rocket science there.  I was hoping to find one that is the closest. 

I will be shooting it with my light cast loads as is in the meantime.   I don't suppose those would have much recoil at all...

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:33:10 AM »
You can print out the Limbsaver templates to see if there's a close match, the holes will likely have to be relocated in the stock, but that's not a problem with wood stocks, just synthetics, lots of pics of em being used in the FAQs topic, make sure the printer is set to print them to actual size, sometimes that's a problem for members.

Tim

Offline slngblde

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
  • 3 miles north of Joe s
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 07:38:17 AM »
Did any handis come with limbsavers from the factory? My 2005 model sb2 44 mag has one that fits perfectly, it is a synthetic stock. Only number on it is a price tag looking sticker with 10018 on it. There is no evidence of any kind that it was modified to fit the gun. I could not find one made especially for the wood stocked guns.

Edit: i looked up that number and it is one made especially for synthetic stock handis.
http://grabagun.com/limbsaver-sims-vib-10018-pad-h-r-handi-rifle-syn.html

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 08:00:23 AM »
The Limbsaver 10018 is for the old style monte carlo synthetic stocks, but can be made to fit new style, although the 10011 for the Tikka fits late stocks better(also in the FAQs see Limbsaver for synthetic stocks ), only an aftermarket option.

Tim

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 08:59:42 AM »
I decided to wait on the recoil pad and until I've shot it a bit but I'll likely order one in the next month or so.  Probably when the bullet mold I want comes back in stock...  I looked through the FAQ's for the limbsaver info but I couldn't find it.  I'll look again tonight when I'm not a hurry.  I need to get back to work to pay for all of this...

For now I have a Williams target sight on order.  It should be hard to get the old rear sight off since it was loose when got the rifle.  I wouldn't have noticed but I was checking fit of screwdrivers for adjusting it and the one on my Gerber multi-plier was an exact fit...

Tony

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 09:05:13 AM »
Use the F3 search as directed at the top of the page in big red letters if you're on a computer, can't help ya if you're on one of the other electronic gadgets, I underlined the keywords in my first reply.

Tim

See Handi/Ultra Recoil Pad and Limbsaver Templates in the FAQs for a start.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,122026.msg1098416330.html#msg1098416330

http://www.limbsaver.com/technical/templates.php

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »
I have used Remington Supercell with pretty good luck.  They are alot cheaper than limbsaver.  They may not be a perfect fit for every handi stock, but it fit good on my 20 ga. pallet wood stock.  There are two versions for shotguns.  Make sure you get the wood stock version.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
I don't know if it's still there but there was this gun shop in east Portland that did a lot of custom stock work.  They had a big box of used recoil pads for 3 bucks each.  I bought a bunch out of that box.  I had a friend back then that would install the recoil pads in exchange for my help with computer problems.

Those were the days...

Tony