Author Topic: Right now, I have to step back and wait.....  (Read 867 times)

Offline RB Rooson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • "If you come for mine, be sure to bring yours!"
    • http://www.ptca.00go.com
Right now, I have to step back and wait.....
« on: March 02, 2013, 05:36:55 AM »
I shoot competively in Cowboy Action every two weeks and have done so for fifteen (15) years.....I hesitate to write this, but really do feel that it is necessary at this time....I will NOT be shooting until the current supplied ammo situation changes in the USA. There is something afoot and until I can buy what I need (no longer reload and even if I still had the ability, the components are not there right now)I think it a judicious idea to conserve what I do possess. I may visit the odd match or two AND WILL DEFINITELY provide everything necessary for the the Club Shotgun Match, as I have done in the past, scenarios, awards and my ever lively personality! I do hope and pray that you understand where I am coming from and possibily review your own thoughts on what is happening. I am not alarmist by nature and surely do not want to be equated as somewhat off the track, but it is time to sit back for abit and see what unfolds..... Your friend and sometimes-maybe-I-think-too-much, RB
SASS #16974 - Duelist
SBSS # 1195 (O.G.B.) LXXIX
BOLD # 352

"Everyday I pray to be the man that my dog thinks I am!"

Offline powderman

Re: Right now, I have to step back and wait.....
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 06:36:15 AM »
RB. I too love to shoot but have shot little but 22s because I don't want to use up what little I have if I can't replace it. Thank a liberal today. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline JonnyReb

• Trade Count: (89)
  • Where is John Galt?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 06:10:53 AM »
 I think most everyone has stopped shooting like they use to. The area around me was known on sat\sun to be ringing with distant gunfire, we've gone silent. A neighbor about 600 yards up a wooded valley still shoots occasionally with .22, I hear him faintly here and there. That's about it. I still shoot a good bit but with airguns only. Since 08' I've shot little but airguns and blackpowder.The folks I know are scrounging up whatever ammo they can afford, bit by bit. Those who shoot that is.

I feel like I've got enough smokeless to hunt with till I'm dead but that's about it. No blowing 100 rounds on a Saturday just for fun, maybe once a decade I could. I guess we'll figure this out over the next year, all projections by manufacturers point to a good resupply of ammo and components in 8-9 months, or we'll be figuring out by then that its not ever coming back as it once was. Either way we'll know soon. Till then I'm going to keep finding smokeless powder and primers and have ordered 2 calibers of lead bullet molds and sizing dies. Have not reloaded in a long time, since I was a teenager, but its the only way to go now it seems.    J
Active trader until 9-11-14 GB

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »
I'm in the same boat.  I have what under normal circumstances would be a fair amount of ammo stockpiled for all the guns I own.  However, not seeing an end in sight any time soon to the shortages or the insane prices at the retailers I too have been conserving what I've got.  Guess I will have to dust off the pellet gun and stock up on pellets also.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline FPH

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »
I need to sight in a rifle after bedding the action and fee floating the barrel........setting up for 10 riunds seems fairly silly, but i too am conserving my ammo.

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 06:24:31 AM »
RB. I too love to shoot but have shot little but 22s because I don't want to use up what little I have if I can't replace it. Thank a liberal today. POWDERMAN.  :o :o

It has nothing to do with the liberals my friend.  Alot of our fellow and sister shooters have turned into masses of horders becuase of all the gun scare.  They are the reason that you have no 22s.  I saw it first hand at walmart the other day and am experiencing it in the reloading world.  People need to chill the hell out.  Our own side is cutting our throats buy spending every liitle scrape of money they have to buy all the ammo they can.  I have even ran into private sellers who are now reselling ammo and reloading components at skyrocketed prices to make a profit.

Personally- it makes me sick to see what alot of us have become with hording.  I said on another forum that if I even thought for a second when I got into reloading that would need to keep 1000 bullets, 1000 primers, and 8lbs of powder on hand for every weapon that I reload for, I would nt have gotten into this game.

It's all a hot mess...........

Offline jdp29

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 04:11:23 PM »
I am in the same boat.  I will continue to plink 22's.  I have a good amount of components for reloading but am feeling a little nervous to go through some of it.  I was in my local shop today and the owners there are never too gloom and doom, but he looked at me and said "save some ammo".  he for the first time is finding it completely dry in most common calibers.  That scared me. 

Online Casull

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »
It has nothing to do with the liberals my friend.  Alot of our fellow and sister shooters have turned into masses of horders becuase of all the gun scare.

But, it IS the liberals who created the gun scare.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline JonnyReb

• Trade Count: (89)
  • Where is John Galt?
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »
I was in my local shop today and the owners there are never too gloom and doom, but he looked at me and said "save some ammo".  he for the first time is finding it completely dry in most common calibers.  That scared me.

This struck a chord when I read it, went today to my local source of seemingly neverending source of very overpriced ammo and they too are running low. No familiar powders, no large rifle primers. Bigger dent in the bullet selection. Loaded ammo is still available in most calibers but the foreign ammo they had received to boost stock is almost gone..not any to replace it on any for sure date. Is scary because its a big change, never not been able to get ammo.

Brett go look at the new airguns on the market,  there are quite a few that equal the foot lbs of a .22 rimfire available, mostly korean made, pellets are cheap and plentiful..they're such a joy to shoot in the backyard or wherever legal that it doesn't bother me near as much to set the rimfire/ aside for a bit. Even a walmart .177 crosman phantoms better than not shooting at all..:)
Active trader until 9-11-14 GB

Offline powderman

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 05:30:54 PM »
SWIFT ONE. I say thank a liberal because they are the ones who put the obamination in the whitehouse, and he and his supporters are the reason for the buying binge. Thank a liberal today.  ;)  POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 03:30:47 AM »
Then there is the persistant rumour that the government is buying up as much of domestic production it can for four months starting the end of January. I mean sending people into gunstores and paying cash for ammo just as it is delivered to the gun shop. May might just be a historic time.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Anna

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 04:34:18 AM »
Even 22lr is getting scarce, our local gun stores are offering top dollar for anyone who will bring
some in . No one is , they say if TSHTF a 22 can feed you .
12 guadge is still around but nothing much in any defense load . But a shot gun would feed you
just as well possibly even better .
Retailers are starting to mark down their guns saying if you dont have ammo you can't sell the gun.
Used ARs took a 500 dollar drop last week and anything cowboy is starting to be bought up also.
Any lever action rifle will fly off the shelf and the old model 12s have all vanished where they were
in good supply . To bad really a lot of nice older bird guns are going to meet up with a pipe cutter
now .  :'(

Oh, have any of you noticed that there is a huge run now going on with anything black powder ?
Especially the discontinued Ruger old army ball and cap revolver .

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 10:23:39 AM »
Capitalism at it's best

It has nothing to do with the liberals my friend.  Alot of our fellow and sister shooters have turned into masses of horders becuase of all the gun scare.please correct me but aren't liberals leading the attack on guns ?   They are the reason that you have no 22s.they are the sympton not the sickness liberals /progresives are the sickness  I saw it first hand at walmart the other day and am experiencing it in the reloading world.  People need to chill the hell out really all they want is supplies .  Our own side is cutting our throats buy spending every liitle scrape of money they have to buy all the ammo they can.Really it's the johnny come late that are buying most consertives got the education back with Clinton , Y2K and Obama's election   I have even ran into private sellers who are now reselling ammo and reloading components at skyrocketed prices to make a profit.

Personally- it makes me sick to see what alot of us have become with hording.  I said on another forum that if I even thought for a second when I got into reloading that would need to keep 1000 bullets, 1000 primers, and 8lbs of powder on hand for every weapon that I reload for, I would nt have gotten into this game.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 10:25:23 AM »
As far as stock it would depend on your shooting habits back when I shot alot I would go thru. a thousand bullets in a week or two .

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 11:11:21 AM »
I hold onto just enough ammo so that I can get resupplied by the police....................

Offline Anna

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 03:23:30 PM »
Like the Sargent said in we were solders. When the shooting starts there will be plenty of it laying
around. Besides in a true bug out situation you would be lucky to carry at the most 1000 rds with
you. Along with all the guns and other essentials that your going to need .

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »
i don't know that i would be a hoarder.
i've been keeping a thousand of each
or more of primers i use since i've been
reloading along with plenty of powders.
why wouldn't you if you're going to use it?
i've not been using any of my .22 lr's so
as to have a supply for my nephew to use
for practice.
why wouldn't someone who actively shoots
.22's have several thousand rounds?
the problem is the folks that are buying
with the intent of resale.
isn't buying ammo for resale without
being licensed illegal?
what about components?
i already know firearms are. i'm sure
there won't be any straw purchase prosecutions.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 05:57:03 AM »
Facts are that people have no confidence in our government. Those that call stocking up on needed supplies hoarding are just blowing the leftist government horn saying that you have no reason to be self sufficient. To a leftist govt. sympathizer you only need what you can use in a week at most. They want you to be under the govt. thumb and hungry. Anyone here think a week is long enough? Along with ammunition think about storing some rice and beans in sealed 5 gallon buckets. Another tough one is to store some gasoline. Any idea what would happen to our supply line if diesel hit $7. a gallon? The fast upward spiral of prices would surely limit what we could buy and there we would be handing over our weapons and bibles for food.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 09:37:25 AM »
Like the Sargent said in we were solders. When the shooting starts there will be plenty of it laying
around. Besides in a true bug out situation you would be lucky to carry at the most 1000 rds with
you. Along with all the guns and other essentials that your going to need .walking 250 rounds would be a load but in the F250 there is room for alot of water , beans and bullets. A better qoute was from the Gray Ghost , something to the effect that other than uniforms Richmond supplied his men nothing , it was all provided by the North.  ;) But I like the one you suggested also. Bottom line things get that bad the guy you stop from killing you will be your resupply.