Author Topic: Gold plated primers & AR's  (Read 996 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Gold plated primers & AR's
« on: March 02, 2013, 07:26:08 AM »
Went to the local gunshow this morning and from the prices that most wanted for primers , brass and anything AR related you'd have thought that the stuff was gold plated , but allas it was not ( I LOOKED ) just the normal price gouging that happens everytime someone yells --- GUN CONTROL ----

I did find a couple of folks that were real gentlemen to deal with , one was selling small rifle primers at fair market prices ( not overly inflated ) and another had pistol bullets the same way , and it was not just because I knew them , same price for everyone .

Someday the madness has to slow down and I can get back to fun shooting at a price that doesn't makes my eyes water .  :'(

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline zero

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Gold plated primers & AR's
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »
The price people have on 22s and boxes of bullets would make me think they had a diamond core

...i wonder how that would work as an AP round?

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 07:35:09 AM »
Went to the local gunshow this morning and from the prices that most wanted for primers , brass and anything AR related you'd have thought that the stuff was gold plated , but allas it was not ( I LOOKED ) just the normal price gouging that happens everytime someone yells --- GUN CONTROL ----

I did find a couple of folks that were real gentlemen to deal with , one was selling small rifle primers at fair market prices ( not overly inflated ) and another had pistol bullets the same way , and it was not just because I knew them , same price for everyone .

Someday the madness has to slow down and I can get back to fun shooting at a price that doesn't makes my eyes water .  :'(

stimpy

How do you like free market economics?  Who are these people jacking up prices?  I hear about $3,000 AR's.  Take their picture and post it.  Show their face and say, "Rip off artist."   ;D
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 07:35:48 AM »
The problem with inflating prices just because of the high demand because of the political gun control climate is that they don't seem to ever go back down to where they were before the frenzy.  I haven't been reloading all that long compared to some other guys I know but I still long for "penny-a-piece" primers.  Guess I should have stocked up before they went so high but in my naivety I was short sighted.

Offline zero

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:48:46 AM »
The problem with inflating prices just because of the high demand because of the political gun control climate is that they don't seem to ever go back down to where they were before the frenzy.  I haven't been reloading all that long compared to some other guys I know but I still long for "penny-a-piece" primers.  Guess I should have stocked up before they went so high but in my naivety I was short sighted.

I only started reloading a couple years ago after the last shortage when stock was plenty. I was used to being able to go up to walmart and get primers any time. Had no idea that shortages like this happened

Couple of my dealer buddies think the panic buyers will start selling in a couple months when bills come due. Wonder what the prices will be like then

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 08:09:30 AM »
Before opening your post, I thought maybe you were questioning why some primers are a brass color and others are a silver color.  Sort of wish all factory rounds were loaded with copper colored primers and reloading primers were the silver type.

Offline KansasPaul

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 03:57:08 PM »
In February 2012 I bout 3000 primers at a gun show - paid about $20 per thousand box.

Two months ago I priced primers at a gun shop near work and they were $55.00 per thousand.  Later that week I went to my typically overpriced local sportsmart and bought 2,000 primers at $31.00 per thousand. This is the same LGS who has not raised prices during this buying frenzy.  I hate to say it, but I will likely be buying from this business for a long time to come... or until I buy all of his powder and primers.

Blessings

Paul

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 05:59:55 PM »
I was at a show this morning and walked by a table that had the 40 packs of 22 long rifle for $10.  Yes $10 dollars for 40 22 shells.  It made me laugh out loud.  The vendor asked what I was laughing at ???   I just kept going because when I see something that far out of touch everything else on the table isn't worth another glance.

I saw a few bricks of 22 ammo for $35 and some bricks for $50.  Primers at $50 and $65!

Thought I was going to walk out empty handed but ran into 2 like new 30 round colt magazines for $55 ;D   

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 09:48:48 PM »
Remember the Winchester Expiditers (sp) (the EXPLODING bullets that hinkly shot Presendent Reagan with)
I'll bet I could make a fortune with 8 or 10 bricks of thoes.  :o

Gun Runner

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 08:35:54 PM »
if you got caught with your pants down it's your own fault after 94 and 08 you should have wised up..
I have given some thought to selling all my Dillon presses and stuff on ebay when idiots our paying double MSRP for a 550 and 2.5 times for a fully loaded 650 makes me want to join the greed club.
I even saw a guy selling Dillon case lube for $26 for a 8oz bottle LMAO.
The sooner guys quit paying inflated prices and hoard buying the prices will go down.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline zero

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 06:51:58 AM »
if you got caught with your pants down it's your own fault after 94 and 08 you should have wised up..

Not everyone was around to know about these kinds of shortages then. I just started a couple years ago and had no clue about panic buying like this

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »

Not everyone was around to know about these kinds of shortages then. I just started a couple years ago and had no clue about panic buying like this

You and about 1/2 of the free world , like I said before , the words " GUN CONTROL " bring out the STUPID in people , a guy that shoots a total of 50 rounds a year suddenly needs to stock pile 5000 rounds just because = GIVE ME A BREAK !!!!!!!!!

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 02:00:06 PM »
Well, it pays to frequent your LGS.  Went in there just now, they recognized me and I got the 200max primer deal on EVERY size instead of total count, and same on single box per caliber, because I bought different brands.  The owner helped me find all and did the deal personally.

They always have higher than discount prices on primer/powder, but noticed the price sheet was dated Feb 2012.  Interesting...  Won't be complaining any more.

Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 02:04:52 PM »
i don't mind paying a bit more at
the local mom & pop shop. i've always
told people that the chains follow what
somebody at an office somewhere says.
the local guy that you trade with frequently
will more often than not go out of his way
to make you a happy camper.
(and usually could care less about political correctness)
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline zero

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
Well i've learned my lesson. I'm not gonna panic buy and hoard, that's just rude. But i get the value of keeping a good few months supply for yourself around. I've managed to scrape up enough to get me through spring. And having to get real cozy with my furnace

It's annoying the heck out of me to see all these people coming out of the wood works and gouging everyone. The panic buyers that never hardly shoot and don't think about it til something happens is one thing, but off the people that are just wanting to get a few rounds for their average shooting is just wrong

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 02:16:11 PM »
a lot of this stuff is being bought
for resale to try to turn a dime.
has anyone heard of any arrests
for that?
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline dakotashooter2

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 08:09:12 AM »
The price increases after things settle down is what bothers me. I question if most are really even justified... Take something like primers. I'm guessing materials cost would have to increase tenfold or better for the cost a single primer to increase 1 cent.... Material costs are rising but not that much..... Even jacketed bullets... yes copper is also going up but how much copper is in a a bullet.  The average box of 100 bullets probably has 8oz or less of copper in it, a pound at the most. Copper is around $3.50 lb. That means $1.75 of copper in a box of bullets (150 gr). Add the cost of a couple pounds of lead and one can see how insignificant materials cost is to such small items.......
I rarely get excited about making a $5 or $10 profit on a single item......Now a full pallet might be a different story. Retailer can benefit because of the quantity of products they have but the average Joe really is  only making enough money for a few extra lottery tickets...  I COULD sell my stash of .22 for $50 brick (paid around $20) but at some point not having them will probably cost me 1/2 of what I profited. Point being , the idea is attractive but not as benefitial as it seems.
I will note that when things simmer down I will invest in what I feel is at least a 5 year supply (I figure I have 2 years now) At the very least it will be a savings over what I have to pay 5 more years down the line............
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 02:35:41 PM »
I know people who dont OWN a gun who bought ammo. When you buy 6 bricks of ammo for $25 and sell it for $10 per box, you come out pretty good. I know a lot of pawn owners who got into it big, I went to a local gun auction a couple weeks ago, saw 22LR Sell for $15 a box for 50, They were not 20 year old Wildcats, but that IS nuts, even for Federal Match or Eley. It is not illegal, but you are an idiot if you play into their hand.
       On the other hand, when we come out of this, if you are a new reloader, get together with 2-3 or so others and put together an order so you can buy primers 10K  at a time and powder by the 5-8 pound keg. Then, always keep a brick of primers back, unopened, and as soon as you get to the bottom of your next to last brick, buy another, so you will always have at least a partial and a full brick. That way you can save a few bucks and insure that you are never caught completely off base. You don/t need 20 years worth of supplies like the Preppers, but if dont have 20 WEEKS worth , you are just not prepared. There is no good excuse for that.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.