Author Topic: How did I do on this post 64 model 70?  (Read 933 times)

Offline JerryWotz

• Trade Count: (0)
How did I do on this post 64 model 70?
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »
I've never owned a Model 70, but I've been around enough to know about the desirable pre64 models.  A friend emailed me yesterday from another state to ask me if I was interested in buying a post Model 70.  I haven't seen it other than the pictures he sent, but it's a 1969 Model 70 in 243 with a Tasco scope, two new boxes of shells and a hard shell lockable case for $375.  My buddy knows the owner and the rifle was never fired until they went to the range and ran two boxes of shells through it.  It originally belonged to the owners father in law who recently died.  It's all like new.  The Tasco 4x16 TR scope doesn't do much for me, but it is what it is.
I'm a sucker for buying most any firearm and I thought I couldn't go wrong on this deal.  And, my friend is visiting me this coming June so he'll bring the rifle at that time.  Delivered to the door, couldn't be better.  What do you think?

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: How did I do on this post 64 model 70?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »
good deal , 
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:58:30 PM »
Yep, you done fine!!! ;)

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline hillbill

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 01:29:03 PM »
i would prob buy it if its in nice shape.if yu subtract the extras your really only giving 275 to 300 for it conservatively.dont discount the scope too much it may be a good one. the scopes worth 50 if it works and 2 boxes of shells and the case another 25 easy. id have to go for it.

if the stock is nice and metal in good shape i dont see any way its not worth at least 400 for the rifle alone.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 02:41:29 AM »
Jerry:  what area of the country are you in?  If you don't want it I will take it, right now...  A post 64 M70 is a excellent rifle in the condition you describe - I have one like that in 06 and if that one is available and a long action I would probably buy it and have it rebarrelled into another 06.  I would not hesitate to jump on that one in a heartbeat.  If you don't like the 243 and want something a bit heavier have it rebarrelled to 6.5 Swede or the 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor and you will never look back.... just a thought or two....

Offline JerryWotz

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 03:33:05 AM »
UPDATE - I called my friend yesterday to say the checks in the mail.  He called me later to say he went to get the rifle (he paid the owner, I paid my friend) and he wanted me to know the whole package, rifle, scope, hard case, etc is absolutely like new.  Even has all the original tags and owners information with it. So, I'm a happy guy.   It's a rifle I wasn't exactly looking for, don't exactly need and really didn't budget for, BUT I'm sure it'll fit right in with the others in the gun safe.  Besides we now have a yearly timber wolf season here in Minnesota, so a 243 is perfect for that.
Thanks guys, maybe I'll post some pictures when my buddy brings it the 1,500 miles to me in June.