Author Topic: Lee deprimer for crimped brass  (Read 486 times)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Lee deprimer for crimped brass
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
Lee makes a depriming punch you whack with a hammer for crimped military brass.  Anyone use one?  I'm tired of breaking depriming pins.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline D Fischer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Lee deprimer for crimped brass
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:26:16 AM »
I used one years ago. that is what was in the original Lee hand loader. Haven't got one any more but I don't break a lot of pin's on military case's either. Of course now I only have about 300-400 06 case's. Have used a lot in 223, 308 and 30-06 in the past. I don't try to ram them out, just bring the pin into contact and push it out.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:53:10 AM »
I bought both the large and small ones but I haven't used them yet.  I think they're still  in the packaging they came in.  I figured since they were cheap, why not?

Tony

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 01:18:14 PM »
I've used the common Lee Universal Depriming Decapping Die for years without a hitch on crimped mil brass.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136543/lee-universal-depriming-and-decapping-die

I did break one pin that they replaced for free on a Berdan primed 7.62x59 (308) case
found elsewhere

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:38:56 PM »
I have used the Lee hand loader primer punch. I have one in 22 hornet and one in 222 Remington. I do not have a 308, but have done some in 223 military brass. I have not bought any once fired brass in years. However, that may change due to the buying frenzy. I have the Lee universal Depriming Decapping die that I use on every other case I reload, including the 223 Remington. I have not broken a pin yet, but like I said, I have not used it on military crimps.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »
All my normal suppliers were out of stock, so I just ordered the universal decapping die, and the hand decapper off a well known auction site.....

One of them ought to work.

I have a lot of LC .223 brass, and they really went to town with the crimp.  I turned down a pin punch to fit the case, and the pin to fit the flash hole, and it lasted three cases.

Thanks for the input.
Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)