Author Topic: New Wood - New Projects!  (Read 635 times)

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
New Wood - New Projects!
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:29:46 PM »
OK... so I am putting it out there, because I know someone down the road will check-in and that will get my butt in gear when I need "a boot!"  ;D

I just received an order of domestic and exotic harwoods...

- A hard maple butt stock blank, plus a second to rip for long maple forends (plain sugar maple, not figured, gonna be painted)...
- A Walnut butt stock blank and Walnut forend blanks...
- And a 10/4 East India Rosewood plank to rip for forend extensions, grip caps and butt stock spacers.

Project #1a;

Build a straight grip maple butt stock with high cheek roll-over to replace the one on the frame pictured below... to be finished in textured black;

Project #1b;

Build two long maple forends with a slender wedge shape to match Project #1 and to be dedicated to the swap barrel .30/30 and 7.62X39 barrels that go with it.

Project #2a;

The above pictured thumbhole stock will go on an SB2 .35 Whelen which is 22" plus a 2" Schuler brake.  Project #2b will be to make a looong matching maple forend with a heavier wedge shape, which will also be finished in a textured black. With a Mueller Hybrid mounted... this will scream... "moose gun!" Loads underway...

Project #3a;

To make a Walnut High Comb butt stock tipped and spaced with India Rosewood. Project #3b will be the matching Mannlicher forend in two thirds Walnut, one third Rosewood... this set to go on a 7mm-08 chopped to 20." In my head, I see this one with a slender, graceful line to the buttstock and a forend with a gentle "belly" sweeping into a "Schnabel-looking" tip.

I will do my best to resurrect this thread and attempt to document progress... which had been requested a number of times via PM on my last Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher project set, which I completed without ever getting around to documenting, even though I said that I would a number of times... oooppss sorry.

Let the wood chips and sawdust fly!

Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: New Wood - New Projects!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 03:54:44 PM »
Every time you show that gun I drool... I want it so bad.  ;D
I don't really even like brakes but on that gun it just looks perfect.

Spanky

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 03:57:27 PM »
Every time you show that gun I drool... I want it so bad.  ;D
I don't really even like brakes but on that gun it just looks perfect.
Spanky
Well say good bye, cause baby's gettin' new clothes!  ;D
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
Uuugggghhhhhh... I guess I better add the picture to my favorites then. ;D

Tell me a little bit about the brake please.

Spanky

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 04:40:47 PM »
Uuugggghhhhhh... I guess I better add the picture to my favorites then. ;D   
Tell me a little bit about the brake please. 
Spanky
Well... I gotta admit upfront that I have a "goofy thing" when it comes to brakes... I can still remember the first braked gun I saw when I was a gaffer... it really "caught my eye" and "captured my imagination..." needless to say, I have few guns (including rimfire) that are not braked... now I "tell" people that they protect the crown, and reduce recoil (that argument holds little water on a rimfire) etc... but the truth is I LOVE the look.
Most of my brakes were custom made-to-order, by Ross Schuler of Mountain Home, Idaho... Ross makes a great product at a great price and is the "fastest" worker/shipper BAR NONE on planet earth... he has had orders in the mail in under an hour of receipt... Ross will customize for O.D, Caliber, Thread pitch, reverse taper, CM or SS etc... his website is below... price includes shipping anywhere in the lower 48.

http://home.comcast.net/~MOA_Shooters/RossMuzzleBrakes.htm 

Offline PineyCreek22

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 07:04:44 PM »
Hoyt - looks like 2013 is going to be busy.  Just curious why did you choose sugar maple  was it for the weight?  Also with what or how are you going to texture the finish?  I have been a fan of the "Mannlicher" style forend for some time.  I built one for a .22lr some years ago with the Schnabel occurring in the standard place and then a delicate portion continuing on to the muzzle.  Good luck I am looking forward to the seeing the finished products.  PC
custom .357 mag monoblock, custom 30-30 Handi

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 08:09:48 PM »
Where's the pics Piney?? I'm wanting to see that forend on the .22lr... judging from your other work I'm sure it's a beauty. ;)

Spanky

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 03:03:38 AM »
Hoyt - looks like 2013 is going to be busy.  Just curious why did you choose sugar maple  was it for the weight?  Also with what or how are you going to texture the finish?  I have been a fan of the "Mannlicher" style forend for some time.  I built one for a .22lr some years ago with the Schnabel occurring in the standard place and then a delicate portion continuing on to the muzzle.  Good luck I am looking forward to the seeing the finished products.  PC
PC... I chose Sugar maple for the fine grain and dense, heavy wood... I like "strong" and I like "heft." Since it will be painted, figure was not required and made the blanks cheaper. The pictured gun is simply a Krylon finish... I sand down to 600 grit, then spray a matte primer (white), then three coats of the textured black (which only comes in satin) and then two coats of flat black and then finally two coats of UV Clear Matte... it makes a very durable finish, that can take knocks and wipes down well... looks great also. I have never seen a black Mannlicher so I thought that I would try a couple... it will be different.   

Offline PineyCreek22

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 01:23:27 PM »
Wow!  Now that is a finish job.  Looking forward to seeing it finished.  Wish I could hold it.  Sorry Spanky I sold that little .22lr years ago.  Regards, Piney Creek
custom .357 mag monoblock, custom 30-30 Handi