Author Topic: What's handier your lever gun or handi rifle  (Read 2410 times)

Offline dd61999

• Trade Count: (0)
What's handier your lever gun or handi rifle
« on: March 06, 2013, 03:32:06 AM »
What do you find makes a better handy rifle for the woods

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: What's handier your lever gun or handi rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 04:27:29 AM »
As fond as I am of my single shots, and I started with one 46yrs ago and have had a bunch, for hunting I really do like a repeater in the small calibers as I dont have to fumble with reloading (and I fumble more nowadays). I do better with the larger cases and like a jacket pocket outside loop type carrier over a buttstock carrier. In poor weather I'll take the repeater hands down.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 04:46:07 AM »
Depends on if you are there for the fun of the hunt or a need for as many shots as possible. I find deer hunting my Handis are what I use exclusively. On the up coming pig hunt my kids will have repeaters so there will be potential for many shots on a group of pigs, I am going Handi even on that trip because I have tried to use Handis for all my hunting in recent years.  But if you are alone and need a possible second fast shot you may want to lean toward the lever.  I have had a lot of fun and successful hunts with my single shots. And the weight difference in a Handi wearing synthetic stocks and my 336 lever in wood stocks makes me really like the wt of the Handi for a long day of hunting.
It will depend on the hunt or trip you have planned. But if you only have one gun you can make it work just fine, but with choices you just need to decide if the fast second shot is really needed, most deer hunts it is not.  Pig or bear may be a different story just because there may be several pigs or the potential for a bear wanting a little taste of you before expiring.....  thejanitor

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 04:53:38 AM »
Well I must say I use the handi more often but love my levers too!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 05:07:24 AM »
There's a tool for every job. My handis get the call when still hunting just because they are light weight and short. My 45-70 marlin guide gun is for the up close stuff or when ever I go for hogs or bear. And all the bolt gun are used for stand/long range hunting.

But to answer your question . Just cruising through the woods nothing beats a 45-70 marlin
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline dd61999

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 05:09:00 AM »
Thanks guys!

I should have been more specific in my question. Which one do you enjoy carrying in the woods as far as being easier to hold and move around with

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 05:16:26 AM »
I go through this drill every time I want to walk out with a .32-20 or a .30-30......do I take the Marlin or the Handi ??? ??? ???   The Marlin 336T .30-30 was my first "deer rifle" at about 19, 53 years ago, when I finally got out of NJ and their shotgun only regs.  It's had a lot of game behind it.  Therefore, it has a warm spot in my heart.  The Handi .30-30's a newcomer.  It shoots better, but it ain't cuddly yet.  The reverse is true with the .32-20s.  The Handi was the well loved first one, and a tack driver.  The Marlin 1894CL is a "Johnny come lately".  It shoot's, but nothing to rave about.  It carries a quick backup shot....but do I need a fast second shot? 

I don't see a big difference in handling between a levergun carbine and a Handi.  At least not enough to get flustered about.

So it's ho hum, who's walking today? 

Life is tough sometimes.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 05:37:52 AM »
Well, now that you have defined it......only you can decide who you want to take for walk!
I still shoot my repeaters just like a single shot, only one shot at a time  ;) , but I reload the CF's so 'saving' my brass by feel when I jack another round in while watching where the critter fell is standard for me, not trying to make up for a poor first shot with a bad second one  :o (a man's got to know his limitations).
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 06:11:02 AM »
Thanks guys!

I should have been more specific in my question. Which one do you enjoy carrying in the woods as far as being easier to hold and move around with
With that said-  My Handis give me the most enjoyment.   thejanitor

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 07:27:31 AM »
Definitely my 3030 Handi with the older 158 profile barrel on it.    Can carry that one all day.    But if hogs are on the menu that day I will have either a 44 or 45 revolver strapped on also.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline KIMBER45

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 07:39:15 AM »
I like my Marlin 45/70 better than the my handies.

"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 07:48:31 AM »
I pull the Handi's first... but not for carry reason's... I just like single shots and the need to make ONE SHOT count... 95%  of my game has been taken with a bow, going back 40 years... having said that I love carrying my Henry levers... they are chunky buggers, but feel good in the hand and at the shoulder and the actions are buttery smooth.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 08:47:03 AM »
I hunted for many years with a 308 Win M81 BLR, loved it, but in all those years I can only remember a couple times that I used more than one shot, none when I needed a quick reload. When I wasn't using it, I was using a muzzleloader, either a traditional sidelock or a flinter, so I've been using hammer guns for a looong time, the change to Handis was real natural. Now for the last few years weight has been a big consideration, a shorty or Superlight Handi is all I've been hunting with, the BLR hasn't been out of the gun room for over 10yrs.  ;)

I did shoot my first(3x5) and second(doe) deer with my uncle's octagon barreled 32 Special levergun tho when I was 12-13 or so, that was a heavy bugger as I recollect and no fun to carry.  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 10:35:18 AM »
I did shoot my first(3x5) and second(doe) deer with my uncle's octagon barreled 32 Special levergun tho when I was 12-13 or so, that was a heavy bugger as I recollect and no fun to carry.  :-\  Tim
On my first deer hunt at 15 (we hunted strictly moose until then), many, many moons ago... I was placed on the end of a dog run in the primo location (they were throwing a kid a bone)... I was holding a Winchester 94 in .32 Special... I saw a deer running toward me and set my elbows on the old rail fence and waited... just as it jumped, I squeezed off and saw it buckle and cartwheel into a ball on the other side of the fence, but immediately became aware of more cracking... about a minute and a half later, there were three dead deer laying there touching the fence and two more that made it less than 30 yards... nobody in the group had ever shot more than two deer on a stand before... I had tagged us out with five deer in the first minutes of the season... there was a lot of back slapping and whooping it up. I had a pretty big head for a few days... I took up bowhunting the next year and got humbled REAL quick!
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »
Party hunting isn't legal here, so I don't care to share any stories.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »
Hard to say.  30-30s... Handi is full 22", Marlin Texan 17.5".  Handi is more accurate, cloverleafs 150s.  Marlin is still 1.5" @ 100 w/170s.  Handi is nicer finish and wood. Texan is lighter, seems more compact and would probably grab it first.  But I'm in Texas.   JMHO...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Norminator

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »
Love my 26" barrelled 45-70, but when I want a repeater I pull out my old Rem 141 in 35 Rem.
It too is nice to carry and knocks them down perty good too.

Offline fish280

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »
a handi has it all over a lever gun when it is time to unload. i never liked having to run all of the rounds through the action ...
His,
><>

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
Handi, unless you are talking the BC.  It's long barrel was a real pain catching on stuff in the sights and gets heavy.  lol
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 04:56:35 PM »
If I am just walking, my Hornet Handi would most likely go with me, and if I was hunting- stress hunting- my handi is more accurate and I can always  control my shots. If I am seriously going out to kill something or not sure exactly what is going to happen, then a shorty levergun would get the nod, a 444 carbine most likely.
       I expect once I get the loads worked out, a 300AAC will probably get the nod, at 30" long, and I will pick up a youth synthetic stock set- so about 5 pounds. A contender carbine with a "Super 16" barrel is very close also, but they are like finding hens teeth. I must say, that if the law was a little different I would put a youth stock on a Rossi Mares Leg 44 mag in a minute, I cant think of a much sweeter package than that would be.
    The other piece of this is the cartridge in question, most levers are 30/30 and 20 to 22" barrels, that is considerable firepower for "a walk". One of the SB1 shortys in 44 or 357 is plenty and handier ;)
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline colt1960

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »
My marlin 1895 gbl 45-70 would get the first nod for me but I do like the handi's real well also. Rick!

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 06:40:04 PM »
... I had tagged us out with five deer in the first minutes of the season...

For sure you weren't in Saskatchewan.

here, you can't tag another's animal.

that is my story, and I'm sticking to it.

as for me, I don't own a lever gun, and only a couple bolts.
I only shoot at stationary game.
I simply won't shoot at running game anymore.
I also take my time to make the first shot count, and if I have to leave it, I do.
Single shots have been my "Go To" guns for the last 20 years.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 03:58:49 AM »
Hey Fish, on my lever I only use the action to bump 'em out of the tube and onto the carrier, then dump 'em over into my hand; no need to run into the chamber at all.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 04:03:40 AM »
Hey Fish, on my lever I only use the action to bump 'em out of the tube and onto the carrier, then dump 'em over into my hand; no need to run into the chamber at all.

That's the way it's done ;)

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline reloaderman

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 03:09:38 AM »
I've got a WIN 9422M that's really nice for "walkin' around", but my Classic Carbine is hard to beat !
all that glitters is not gold
all who wander are not lost

Offline squirrelslayer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 04:31:11 AM »
I know the original post was "in the woods" but I just don't really hunt without my bolt guns. (Too good of a chance at seeing one across the canyon.) So for me personally, I like the handi rifle. When shooting my or the wife's lever guns I fire, then let go of the forend, cup my hand over the receiver and catch the case as it stands up to be thrown. I hate flinging brass.  The wife however could care less and our range days together usually consist of me starring at the ground trying to remember where they all landed!
I hate when i miss. But when I do, I can always come up with a reason why.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 04:46:49 AM »
If one 'must' fling the brass, it is only appropriate to casually reach one's hand out and catch it on the fly, pocket it and return to the task.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline squirrelslayer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 04:51:47 AM »
I don't dare get near her
I hate when i miss. But when I do, I can always come up with a reason why.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 04:56:19 AM »
I've got a WIN 9422M that's really nice for "walkin' around" !

You got that right!!!

I have been kicking my self for twenty years over this one.... Marlin 1894/22Mag. I never bought one, I have had my hands on two. One was trashed and one was minty. BOTH where not even in reality with actual values. So I passed. I also passed on probably a dozen including a win camo 9422M!!! Yea yea I know... Dumb ass!!! The prices for the Winnys where always ok where they should be.

Back in November I said enough is enough and bought a Henry 22 Magnum. Man O Man is it a great little walkin rifle!!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 05:58:50 AM »
... I had tagged us out with five deer in the first minutes of the season...

For sure you weren't in Saskatchewan.
here, you can't tag another's animal.
I only shoot at stationary game.
I simply won't shoot at running game anymore.

I also take my time to make the first shot count, and if I have to leave it, I do.
Nope... I am in Ontario, which has a long tradition in party hunting going back to the Haliburton hunt camps of the 1800's... which they thought was "north" back then...  ;D
As for shooting "running" game... I am a dedicated bowhunter... and no group is more precise or picky about their shot placement than bowhunters... I am meticulous about body posture, and all other factors affecting the shot... which translates to a very high success ratio...
I would never shoot at an animal booking it at full throttle broadside 300 yards away... but an animal jumping a fence at 30 yards, is hardly a difficult shot, and you can still be precise... as evidenced in the story that I shared above, I was as green as they come (and very excited), but I shot at five deer and killed five deer very quickly... it only sounds tricky if you are determined to wait for a standing broadside shot... but in the "dogging game" (which I haven't done in 30 years)... you ain't going to shoot many deer waiting for one to hold still... they can "hold still" on the meat pole.  ;)