Author Topic: Barrel Lockup question  (Read 510 times)

Offline sjester

• Trade Count: (2)
Barrel Lockup question
« on: March 08, 2013, 05:26:20 PM »
I traded for a late model 12 gauge Pardner today.  I have a 357 barrel and shotgun barrel that are factory fitted to a SB2 receiver that I have.  The barrels fitted to the SB2 receiver lock up tight but the barrel release does not rattle when the action is closed.  It does rattle when the original shotgun barrel is on the Pardner receiver.  Is this indicative of a poor fit issue?  I tried to use the search function but I get "An error has occurred you are not allowed to search...." error.  Search has not been working for me for months.  Thank you

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Barrel Lockup question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 06:28:52 PM »
a little play is fine

no play seems to indicate that the fit is very tight

do your factory fitted barrels leave the lever rattling?

are you going to try to fit the "new to you" shotgun barrel to your SB2?

Offline sjester

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 05:19:59 AM »
The factory barrel on the SB1 receiver leaves the lever rattling. A shotgun barrel fitted to my SB2 receiver leaves minimal play on the release lever when installed on the SB1 receiver.  The same holds true for a 357 barrel.  When installed on the SB2 receiver it was factory fitted to there is rattle. When installed on the new SB1 receiver no rattle .  Both of the SB2 factory fitted barrels,  (12 gauge and 357) lock up very tight on the SB1 receiver with no play on either the vertical or horizontal axis, but the release lever does not rattle although it does have slightly more play than when the action is open. Interesting to note, when the shotgun barrel from the new SB1 receiver is installed on the SB2 receiver it will not lock up at all. The SB2 release lever rattles all the time action open action closed etc.  The SB1 receiver "behaves" like expected.  Rattles when closed no rattle when opened.  The SB1 receiver appears unfired or close to it.  The SB2 has been used some by me and signs of some use prior to my ownership.

The reason for the question and the switching was that my hope was to reserve the new SB1 receiver for pistol rounds and shotgun barrels while keeping the SB2 receiver as a dedicated to a single 223 barrel that I have.  My impression from reading what I could find without the search working for me was that barrels could lock up "too tight" and that could cause issues. 

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 07:42:57 AM »
More important than the 'lever rattling' is the locking lug contact and if you are getting any gap to speak of at the top of the barrel/breech when closed, indicating that it isnt quite seating all the way. With each barrel 'locked up' as well as it does, hold it with a light behind it and look at the breech fit. If it is seating down into the frame like the properly fitted one and shows no uneven gaposus, and the locking lug has good purchase across the shelf (magic marker is your friend) then you are mighty close to good.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 08:52:30 AM »
More important than the 'lever rattling' is the locking lug contact and if you are getting any gap to speak of at the top of the barrel/breech when closed, indicating that it isnt quite seating all the way. With each barrel 'locked up' as well as it does, hold it with a light behind it and look at the breech fit. If it is seating down into the frame like the properly fitted one and shows no uneven gaposus, and the locking lug has good purchase across the shelf (magic marker is your friend) then you are mighty close to good.

This is correct and I agree.

You must understand how the latch works... The thumb lever is moving the latch in the receiver. If you install a barrel and the latch stays all the way down and the barrel opens. The shelf is likely too tall. Conversly, If when closing the action on a barrel and the latch goes all the way ''up'' your barrel shelf is too low. In the middle is what is correct.

When I fit a barrel to a receiver I like that latch to be just about half. But more is OK also. If the angles are not dead square, as the parts wear the engagement will change faster. If you start out at the upper range of movement.. you could likely find your barrel unsafe to shoot.

Do as suggested, throughly clean and smoke the shelf, majic marker or anything that will rub off easilly works well. Not open and close the action and see whats rubbed off the shelf.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline sjester

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 02:49:06 PM »
Thank you for all the pointers! I will proceed as suggested and see what I can figure out

Thanks again and take care