Author Topic: NEW H&R barrels  (Read 3195 times)

Offline workinman

• Trade Count: (0)
NEW H&R barrels
« on: March 10, 2013, 04:36:15 PM »
Hi, I just watched a you tube video by some young fella who claims that new H&R barrels are lacking in heat treat to make them more affordable but adversely effecting accuracy.
I am new hear and to NEF/H&R firearms.
Can anyone confirm or deny or otherwise set me straight on this matter?
Thanks.

Bryan

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: NEW H&R barrels
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:07:12 PM »
Group from my .223 @ .31" c-c

This is a .87" c-c group with my .45-70 Buffalo Classic and Iron sights using Hornady 300 gr. HP's over 47 gr. Reloader7

There are many such groups by members here and I've managed to create loads for sub MOA groups with all my handi's except the .45 LC.  It consistently goes about 2", which is great for a 300 gr. Bullet and knocks the snot out of deer to 100 yards.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:39:49 PM »
who starts these rumors???
NRA Life Member ~ Molon Labe

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 03:50:29 PM »
Let's keep that rumor running. That should make a few more of those "more affordable" barrels available for me. ;D

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 04:04:30 PM »
Here's 3 shots from my 454.  Seems to do ok to me.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »
Target braggin' time!! OH BOY OH BOY... I have a couple too!!  ::) ....

Here is three from a 22'' 45-70 @ 100 yards..

Here is three from my 356 Winchester..

Here is five from my 22Hornet also at 100 yards.

Here is a couple from my 223 Varmint at 100 yards.

Here is three form my 32-20 with 123g bullets

Here is my 307 Winchester at 100

Here is three shots form my 12 USH W/Buck hammers at 100 yards.

Here is my shorty Maxi with 170GDSP at 100

Here is a 22'' Maxi at 100 with 180SSP and 1680

I would say that these barrels are crap and don't shoot as well as they probably could...  ::) ;)

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 11:57:54 PM »
Center fire H&R barrels are made from the same steel as any of the major rifle makers. They are treated the same as others. The making of the barrels are different. Remington and Ruger are forged. H&R, Marlin and Savage are button rifled. After market barrel makers are usually button rifled or cut rifling, but still use the same 4140 steel for their blued barrels. As you can see from the posted pictures here, the H&R can shoot as well as most factory bolt guns. It follows that their barrels are as well made as the bolt gun manufacturer's barrels. it is obvious that the person that made the video does not know what he is talking about.

Good Shooting and Good Luck
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 02:43:11 AM »
I've owned and shot rifles for 61 years.  I now have fourteen Handis.  If they were a cheap bunch of crap, would I own so many?  I should mention that if a rifle doesn't shoot I get rid of it......I haven't gotten rid of any Handis.  I had one problem rifle, a .22-250.  I couldn't get the group I wanted.  Our friends at H&R took care of the problem and it is a tack driver today.  The Handi will yield the most bang for the buck.  American made, quality materials and easily reached customer service.  The regulars on this forum are Handi experts and will walk you through any questions or problems you may have.  The FAQs and Handi Basics are invaluable.  Add it all together, and you can't beat a Handi Rifle....or this forum and the Handiholics that reside here.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 02:53:13 AM »
many years and decades ago i had an h&r (i believe the 158 with mannlicher stock) in .22 hornet.  it was a tack driver out to 100 yards using my hand loads.  why in h3ll i sold it off still baffles me to this day - an idiot move on my part.  fast forward 50+ years and i bought my 2nd h&r, a buff classic - what a dang good shooter!  now i have another h&r coming (an ultra hunter) and i'm plotting my third handi rifle purchase.  problem with h&r barrels?  hah!!! nonsense!!!  problem with buying more handi's?  You Bet!!  8) ;) ;D

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 03:13:57 AM »
I would say that these barrels are crap and don't shoot as well as they probably could...  ::) ;)

CW

and to that I would reply BS!!!  ;)

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 05:08:21 AM »
First shots with a new test load of 4064 from my 308 Ultra.
-gary
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline Metaldoc

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Nebraska
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 05:25:24 AM »
All these targets prove there are some good shooting Handi's out there...  BUT   The OP mentioned the video saying NEW H&R barrels.     

My question is what is meant by NEW?   I took it to mean that the barrels NOW (Maybe since Remington took over?) being made are lacking in some stage of heat treatment.

IF the targets posted are from your older Handi's (and many of them are) then they don't prove or disprove the OP's question.   

Not trying to be quarrelsome... just looking for an accurate, relevant answer.    ;)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 05:59:38 AM »
new H&R barrels are lacking in heat treat to make them more affordable

???

I never really thought about it, but I wasn't aware that any barrels were "heat treated."   :-\   Assuming of course you mean "heat treated" in the same way that rifle actions are.   :-\

Can sumbody 'splain it to me?   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 06:26:42 AM »
My "new", Reminton made .243 shoots sub-MOA at 300 yards.  My "new" .223 and .22-250 do the same.  That's 2.5 inches with this old fart behind the trigger.  Forget about old vs. new.  They all shoot well.  My "old" Handis do the same within their caliber limitations.  My "old" .45-70 will shoot the snot out of a deer, coyote or fox at three to four hunderd yards, and the fox is a pretty small target.  I dropped one not too long ago at 360 yards.  Text book shot...right behind the shoulder.  You do your part and the Handi will take care of the rest.

Pete
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 06:29:11 AM »
What are HIS qualifications to make this determination?
Maybe he really meant 'stress relieved'? Most of us periodically relieve stress by shooting our Handies......... ::)
Iffn he didnt give any kind of a change date of 'process' just what does HE mean by 'new barrels'? There's a lot missing here.........but by those groups, it ain't 'us'.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 06:35:50 AM »
gcramk1. I think I'm going out back for some "stress relief" ;)   My Handis don't need it, but perhaps I do. ::)

Pete

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 08:52:23 AM »
I can't speak to the quality of the barrel steel on new vs old, with regard to "hardness..."  but with regard to accuracy, I have noted no change... with regard to "finish" the new barrels have a smoother finish and better bluing in my experience... and we have recently noted that the new triggers are better than the older triggers... my observations.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »
I think there may be some confusion with these parts for the H&Rs in general...  I find action parts to be surface hardened and even then to varing degrees of quality. This is why I STRESS to all doing a trigger job, SMOOTH the parts try NOT to remove material. Have you herd of the ''ever changing'' trigger weight? I know Timmy has we have spoken on the subject in the past. Well thats very likely because the ''smith'' ground/filed thru the hardening. Now if needed, you could easily RE HARDEN these worked parts by heating to a dull red and dropping into dirty engine oil to cool. This will effectively SURFACE harden the part. If I am not mistaken, this is all in the FAQ's.

I about gaurenty these barrels are of lower overall quality of manufacture. If they where not, they would not be at the price point that they are. But are they so bad that they are unuseable... I think we have sufficiently proven that this rifle can shoot and in many different calibers and gauges.  ;D ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 11:28:14 AM »
I about gaurenty these barrels are of lower overall quality of manufacture. If they where not, they would not be at the price point that they are.
We all know we are not buying Shilen or Krieger or Broughton barrel with an OEM Handi... the question is the barrel of a "lesser" quality on the new Handi's vs the older manufactured Handi's... personally I doubt it... the were already at the lowest price point, cheapening the quality intentionally would place the manufacturer in danger of liable for any potential safety issues regarding the barrels... for obvious reasons there is a "floor" to cheapening barrel quality... I suspect that Handi's have been there for 20+ years and they function just fine.   
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 11:33:35 AM »
I about gaurenty these barrels are of lower overall quality of manufacture. If they where not, they would not be at the price point that they are.
We all know we are not buying Shilen or Krieger or Broughton barrel with an OEM Handi... the question is the barrel of a "lesser" quality on the new Handi's vs the older manufactured Handi's... personally I doubt it... the were already at the lowest price point, cheapening the quality intentionally would place the manufacturer in danger of liable for any potential safety issues regarding the barrels... for obvious reasons there is a "floor" to cheapening barrel quality... I suspect that Handi's have been there for 20+ years and they function just fine.   

I believe they quality went UP after Marlins purchase or H&R as Marlin makes a decent accurate barrel. Now if they are made to the same standards or to Remington standards I do not know. I can only hope. Remington made a accurate rifle barrel...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 11:40:58 AM »
I believe they quality went UP after Marlins purchase or H&R as Marlin makes a decent accurate barrel. Now if they are made to the same standards or to Remington standards I do not know. I can only hope. Remington made a accurate rifle barrel... CW
I have noted before that the finish quality is definitely better on the newer guns... whether or not the steel quality has changed I don't know, but I agree that it likely to improve somewhat if anything... if Remlin got its claws into a premium brand, I would be concerned... the margin for "cheaping out" would be greater.

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 12:00:27 PM »
i've got that 45-70 stainless barrel ultra hunter due to arrive later this week.  be interesting to see what kinda quality is happening there.  fwiw, i have a remington 1911 45acp that i bought last january and it's a heckuva really good semi auto and more accurate than me (as bench testing has proven) ... it also has a stainless steel barrel.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 12:29:15 PM »
I think that the "soft" steel barrels can be just as accurate as the 4140/ Stainless barrels They just won't last as long.Another consideration on a Handi (or break open any other for that matter) the barrel also contains the chamber unsupported by a receiver.Softer steel such as 1040 is not recognized as suitable for higher pressure chamberings
 A soft steel barrel using a low pressure cartridge and lead bullets can be very accurate and last a long time. Conversely a 4140 or a Stainless barrel while many times stronger may be "shot out" very quickly. Some of the extremely overbore wildcats come to mind.
 Heat treating is done before the barrel is rifled or machined because not only are the properties of the steel changed but the dimensions as well.Also if steel is over hardened it becomes brittle.
 The biggest complaint I have with H&R is a lot of the barrels are not centered. When I re chamber a Handi barrel I use a 4 jaw chuck equipped lathe to properly center the barrel before reaming. This corrects part of the off center primer strikes but not all because of varying center lines of the barrel to locking latch and even the firing pin hole in the receiver.
 Please do not think they are junk.Benchrest quality they are not  BUT they are/can be very good hunting rifles. I own and shoot some very accurate bench guns and I would not consider taking one of them hunting, but of the 30 plus Handis I own I would take any of them hunting (within the limitations of the cartridge)
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 12:35:34 PM »
Are you guys sure this thread wasn't started by a straw man so you could show off your cloverleafs?

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »
Well... they're all extractors... I prefer ejectors.  Hard to get over the preference.  Just saying.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »
Well... they're all extractors... I prefer ejectors.  Hard to get over the preference.  Just saying.
I vastly prefer extractors... Because; 1.  I don't worry about follow-up shots, I just make the first one count 2. If I was concerned about second shots I wouldn't be shooting a break action single 3. I hate searching for brass. 4. I hate loosing brass even more 5. Ejectors put brass under other shooter's feet at the range 5. It is a more positive extraction 6. I can get the calibers I want without getting distracted by whether or not it has an ejector... just saying.

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 01:05:26 PM »
I vastly prefer extractors... Because; 1.  I don't worry about follow-up shots, I just make the first one count 2. If I was concerned about second shots I wouldn't be shooting a break action single 3. I hate searching for brass. 4. I hate loosing brass even more 5. Ejectors put brass under other shooter's feet at the range 5. It is a more positive extraction 6. I can get the calibers I want without getting distracted by whether or not it has an ejector... just saying.

i agree.  'course it's all just personal preference. 

i'll take the extractor over ejector any day.  it's annoying enuf to hafta search around for 45acp brass, don't need to do that as well with a non-auto rifle.

Offline workinman

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 02:56:42 PM »
Thanks guys. I kind of figured this would generate some fine pictures and a wealth of knowledge and experience. I will be purchasing my first handi soon. I always liked Ronald Reagans reply to Mondale in the debate about youth and inexperience.....I guess it applies here too.

Workinman

Offline wtroger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 04:57:12 PM »
BS. The barrels aren't heat treated the hp rifle barrels are 4140 CM steel the stainless barrels are 416 they are tough but not hard.

Offline BAGTIC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 01:56:10 PM »
Been shooting 'ejectors' for over 55 years. NEVER had any problem controlling my brass. What have I been doing wrong?