Author Topic: Pardner questions  (Read 792 times)

Offline whackadeer

• Trade Count: (0)
Pardner questions
« on: March 10, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »
Yesterday I bought a break open 20ga used for my wife. She wants to try deer hunting but we did not want to spend alot until she decided if she liked to hunt. Some questions, it is a full choke and was told it would be ok to shoot Foster type slugs, is this ok? It only has a brass bead and I cant find any sites for it. the only one is a clip on front site, no rear sites. I think H&R has rifled barrels with sites but would have to send them the gun. Can a used barrel be found and if so where? When was this gun made? here is the info. New England Firearms, Pardner, Model SBI or SB1 not sure, Ser# NS 291215.One more thing, read that it will kick pretty good with slugs, someone said to weight the stock with lead. Would sand add enough weight, and who makes a recoil pad to fit? Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help. Tim
I carry a Glock because a cop is too heavy

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Pardner questions
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:05:28 AM »
Actually Foster slugs can be fired out of any choke.  Some say more open chokes are better but never assume before you try them.  Had an old 11-48 Remington 20 guage with full choke that shot Foster slugs great.  Try the bead out, it might shoot better then you think.  As far recoil, have her use a sandbag between the stock and her shoulder for sighting in and testing.  Don't worry about it while huntiing.  Guns don't kick at all when you're shooting at a deer.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 05:55:12 AM »
Get a slip-on recoil pad a WallyWorld, or such. If its a little long for her take off the hard pad before slipping it on. IME weight in the stock can make them butt heavy and balance poorly, especially for new shooters.
Dont get too rich into it before finding out if she is gonna take to it, though it is nice to always have a 20 around.
Sights are just a 'reference point', they dont have to be fancy, or commercial; the bead and something homemade taped on in back about where a rifle rear sight would be will do.
Shotguns are all the SB-1 type.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline brayh92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 02:00:49 PM »
Here in the classifieds is a great place to find used slug barrels. I also find quite a few complete guns with slug barrels cheap in pawn shops and on armslist. I paid 110 for my tracker II at a pawn shop, and 130 for my tracker on armslist. Goodluck hope your wife kills a nice one this year.
Handi's: .45-70 Govt, .22-250, Pardner 16 GA, Topper 58 20 Ga shorty, Pardner 410 GA