Author Topic: Leupold's warrenty??  (Read 7806 times)

Offline DLH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Leupold's warrenty??
« on: March 10, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »
A friend of mine told me to day that Leupold wasn't honoring the LIFE TIME warrenty any more???

The warrenty  is why I have bought nothing but Leupolds???

My spell check isn't working   sorry
Live every day like it was your last, cause someday it will be!!!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Leupold's warrenty??
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:25:24 AM »
just got back a 35 year old 2x7 that had started to yellow on the inside. the orings had dry rotted and it leak it gas. they rebuilt the whole scope free of charge. So id say there still standing behind them.
blue lives matter

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:57:50 AM »
just got back a 35 year old 2x7 that had started to yellow on the inside. the orings had dry rotted and it leak it gas. they rebuilt the whole scope free of charge. So id say there still standing behind them.

No, that means you just got lucky.   :o

Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:14:18 AM »
A friend of mine told me to day that Leupold wasn't honoring the LIFE TIME warrenty any more???

I wouldn't worry, Leupold's warranty is second to none in the optics business.

Yep, I returning a couple Leupold Vari-X II's made back in 1974 and one was repaired and the other was replaced for a brand new VX-II, no charge. Leupold also ships scopes back for free as well.

OH ya, their service is very prompt. They send you a card when they received your item and call if there are any questions. The turn around time is usually less than 2 weeks as well. When you receive your optic it comes with a letter explaining all work accomplished.

yooper77

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 04:22:17 AM »
On all Leupold scopes, 2 degrees retical cant is within their specifications.  If it is too much for you, you are stuck with it. 

It must be a problem for them.  Their service is prompt.  They sent it back with nothing done and no comment.  It's a big hassle for me to get something you pay high dollar for and it's not perfect.  Then when you try to get the obvious corrected, the corporate mentality ignores you by sending it back with not even a comment, just a standard checklist.  All that trouble taking it out of the rings, writing a letter, boxing it and sending it at your expense to fix something that should have been "right" from the beginning, is lacking.  I also doubt any complaining will do a thing.  Big company mentality is what I see.  Small companies can be better.  Maybe they didn't even read my letter when it came in.  But then I read about the 2 degree spec and I said, "Oh"....... ::)   

Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 05:45:20 AM »
http://www.leupold.com/resources/leupold-warranty-information/

Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee

Leupold and Stevens, Inc. is an American, family-owned, fifth-generation company that has been designing, machining, and assembling precision optical instruments for 100 years. Leupold’s® success has been built on our commitment to your absolute satisfaction, and our commitment to building the best optics for the shooting sports and for the law enforcement / military community. It’s for these reasons that we offer the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee.

If any Leupold Golden Ring® product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, we will, at our option, repair or replace it. FREE. Even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is required. No time limit applies.

Warranty is void if damage results from unauthorized repair, alteration, or misuse.

Offline DLH

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 07:57:18 AM »
Well I called Leupold   after a 20 min. wait  The repair Tec.  said "if the chip is on the outside and not on the inside,  It's your fault! and is NOT covered".

Sure looks like I will be buying ZIESS,  Preferred buying American?  BUTT?
Live every day like it was your last, cause someday it will be!!!

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 08:24:25 AM »
Lots of optics manufacturers have "Limited Lifetime Warranties" of one type or another.  Try actually using them.  That is why Leupold has such a good reputation among shooters - they stand behind their products.

A scope Warranty is just that, a warranty, NOT an insurance policy.  You expect any manufacturer, of any product, to fix or replace it for free after you drill holes in it, bash it with a rock, whatever else you can come up with?  Get real.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »
good luck if you think ziess will cover damage caused by you bashing your scope on something. Believe me if leupold wont fix what youve done to a scope no other manufacture of scopes would cover the same damage. There well known to be if not the best surely one of the top two in warantee coverage. You guys need to learn the best kept secret of customer service with any company. DONT call ahead. Box it up and send it to them. they then have gone through the hastle of handling it and need to ship it back if you refuse to pay so in most cases they fix it just because its the easiest thing to do. Ive called companys that said i had to pay X amount of money for return shipping and handling and just hung up and shipped it in and got it back or a new one and it cost not a dime. Lyman is notorious for this.
Well I called Leupold   after a 20 min. wait  The repair Tec.  said "if the chip is on the outside and not on the inside,  It's your fault! and is NOT covered".

Sure looks like I will be buying ZIESS,  Preferred buying American?  BUTT?
blue lives matter

Offline FPH

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »
When Bill Weaver still owned Weaver out right,  his repair shop was unbieveable..........no better.  That's about what Leupold is now.  Always have fixed a problem or shipped a new one back.

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 01:52:52 PM »
It was snowing and the wind was blowing hard.  It knocked me sideways and I bumped the 4X handgun scope objective against something hard.  I called Leupold next day.  $60 for a new end cap.  No problem.  I sent it in and they handled it professionally. 

2X scope had the guts fly over my head.  That is from the scope that "can take it."   ;D They took care of that one.  Will I put it back on the 475 Linebaugh?  Not when I saw how few aluminum threads there are holding the elevation turret.  I told Veral and he said the problem is cost.  If they really wanted it strong they should have used an extrusion, he said. 

The best service is not needing service.  Why do so many people have experience with Leupold service?   :o   I know, sometimes it is my fault and sometimes it's the product.  But like I say, if the retical is off 2 degrees then that is acceptable for Leupold scopes.  They won't fix it.  Be warned.  You can measure your retical cant easily to determine if they will fix it before you send it in. 

Offline FPH

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »
So why didn't you notice the retical was off before you mounted it?  If you didn't like it you could have returned it.  All mine which I have sent in were damaged during hunting trips ad came from my abuse or in one case a horse falling on the rifle and scope. All have been repaired at no charge.

Offline the_spotdoctor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 02:58:24 PM »
x

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »
So why didn't you notice the retical was off before you mounted it?  If you didn't like it you could have returned it.  All mine which I have sent in were damaged during hunting trips ad came from my abuse or in one case a horse falling on the rifle and scope. All have been repaired at no charge.

I did notice before mounting, and sent it in.  It came back the same.  It's "within spec".   :)

Offline FPH

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 03:34:58 PM »

I did notice before mounting, and sent it in.  It came back the same.  It's "within spec".   :)

So take it back to were you bought it and return it.

Offline eastbank

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 07:56:48 AM »
leupold is not perfect, but after useing several big name scope service centers over 50 years,they are tops to me. i just returned a 4.5x14x52 lps AO with a 30mm tube that was hunted very hard and had several issues for service, a letter from leupold informing me that they could not longer service that model was recieved along with a offer to pick one of three comparable scopes free. i picked a 4.5x14x40 with 30mm tube with side focus and CDS. i have never had any other scope maker come close to that kind of service, maybe i,m just lucky but i think its just the norm with leupold service after the sale. eastbank.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »

Hear say spreads like wild fire ........Call the company. Get the facts!
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »
How do you determine  less than 2 degrees of retical cant?

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 01:51:09 PM »
How do you determine  less than 2 degrees of retical cant?

Simple.  1)  Level the rifle.  One way to do this is lay a tiny level on a flat surface, like  a weaver base.  Harbor       
                   Freight has this level for $2.  Adjust the rifle so it is level.

2)  Level the retical.  Loosen ring screws.  Hang a plumb line and with the rifle level, turn the scope to 
                  level the reticle so the vertical crosshair is parallel to the plum line.   

3)  Attach the device shown below on top of the elevation turret or cap and find your reading.  I use
                  this tool from Harbor Freight for $4.99.   

Offline FPH

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 01:57:14 PM »
So you are trusting some ,cheaply  made, made in china crap not to have any margin of error?

Offline clum sum

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 02:08:59 PM »
I see the problem, Harbor Fright.
A man's hand shake is his bond.
                     Joe R. Risley Jr.

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 02:58:40 PM »
No, the problem are the dummies who don't know how to listen.  :D

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 01:04:58 AM »
I chuckle when i see this kind of crap. Bring up dillon and youll always get one or two that bad mouth them. Usually there the ones that called the customer service division and acted like they knew more then the rep or cussed him out and got hung up on. Same goes with guns, scopes and about anything you buy. Leupold has ALWAYS had a reputation for reliablity. Some may argue there optical performance  but few will argue that there reliable and well made. Go to africa or to alaska where guides rely on there guns to protect there lives and there clients and youll see more leupolds then all other brands combined. Do you think theres a reason for that? I too have to call bs on this. If i bought a scope that was defective id return it imediatly to where i bought it. I think thats what 99percent of people would do in that case. Buy the way ive got an older nikon buckmaster i bought used that the reticle was canted in to the point that when mounted with the reticle up and down you can see the turents are tipped. Im sure thats why the guy sold it cheap. I was a bit discusted and didnt want to put it on a good gun so i put it on an old single shot h&r .223 and its worked just fine for years. Windage and elevation track just like they should and ive shot 3 inch groups at 300 yards with that 150 dollar gun. I dont know why someone would get worked up about something so slight that it takes precision (if you can call that cheap plastic toy you have precision) instruments to even measure it.
blue lives matter

Offline eastbank

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 02:08:09 AM »
being left handed all my scopes look a little canted to my right handed friends and theres seem a little canted to me. if the scope was on a long range rifle (1000 yarder) i might worry, but on a regular hunting rifle, no big deal. i sent a top shelf tasco world class back to tasco before bushnell bought them in florida and they would not even except it, they just refused it plain out. look at it this way,you still have 358 degrees to work with(just kidding). i own and use 34 leupolds,here are 13 that are not on rifles at this time. eastbank.

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 05:42:03 AM »
being left handed all my scopes look a little canted to my right handed friends and theres seem a little canted to me. if the scope was on a long range rifle (1000 yarder) i might worry, but on a regular hunting rifle, no big deal. i sent a top shelf tasco world class back to tasco before bushnell bought them in florida and they would not even except it, they just refused it plain out. look at it this way,you still have 358 degrees to work with(just kidding). i own and use 34 leupolds,here are 13 that are not on rifles at this time. eastbank.

You don't need the tool to see the defect.  That is a defect in design.  If the retical is crooked and you can see it, then a customer won't buy it.  But nobody expects to see a crooked retical.  You see, that is "corporations."  This is the rule of American companies.  Just lay the scope down with the turret visually level and look at it.  I'm going to get political now so hold on to your hat. 

The product is made as cheaply as possible to get away with.  If a few spot the defect it is no big deal to the corporate mentality.  They will say it is OK for a few to find the defect.  RCBS too uses the "service" to make up for the little defects in design of their products.  Sure they will accept a return on a piece of junk somebody paid big money for.  Because messing it up for a few is worth it if it means overall the highest profitable operation.  Free enterprise is a Godless operation. 

It is good, though, that it is free, free to be dictated to by big pharma, nukes, etc.  You can choose to not take statin drugs.  But we can't control the masses of population who will always believe what they are fed.  And when you point out to them the contrary, they will become angry because that is the nature of man.  It must be trait from our Homo Erectus but the worst thing you can do to modern man is criticize him. 

Offline eastbank

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 07:11:42 AM »
well i can see your not a leupold fan, thats why they made other brands so thats where you should go for your scopes. but after useing all different brands from cheap to way to high due to having bad eyes for over 50 years, i have never been put out with leupold and have never had to left the woods or had a ruined hunt because of any leupold product. but i have with other so called top shelf optic,s and the so called top shelf optic companies would not take care of their product or repair in a timley fashion. use what you want and i hope you are satisfied with them. but this has declined into beating a dead horse. eastbank.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 07:29:22 AM »
now your bashing rcbs too. Whats next? you going to burn the american flag! Dont know who your going to buy your guns, scopes and loading gear from as its obvious your more of an expert then the guys making them and nobody is going to make something up to your high standards

You don't need the tool to see the defect.  That is a defect in design.  If the retical is crooked and you can see it, then a customer won't buy it.  But nobody expects to see a crooked retical.  You see, that is "corporations."  This is the rule of American companies.  Just lay the scope down with the turret visually level and look at it.  I'm going to get political now so hold on to your hat. 

The product is made as cheaply as possible to get away with.  If a few spot the defect it is no big deal to the corporate mentality.  They will say it is OK for a few to find the defect.  RCBS too uses the "service" to make up for the little defects in design of their products.  Sure they will accept a return on a piece of junk somebody paid big money for.  Because messing it up for a few is worth it if it means overall the highest profitable operation.  Free enterprise is a Godless operation. 

It is good, though, that it is free, free to be dictated to by big pharma, nukes, etc.  You can choose to not take statin drugs.  But we can't control the masses of population who will always believe what they are fed.  And when you point out to them the contrary, they will become angry because that is the nature of man.  It must be trait from our Homo Erectus but the worst thing you can do to modern man is criticize him.
blue lives matter

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 08:13:27 AM »
Okay, not trying to be smart here, but I must be missing something...  :-\

You defined the "cant" as being determined by it's relationship to an unattached, outside source (the plum line).

But if that outside source is not used, then the only way a "cant" can be detected is by the crosshairs relationship to the only 2 things that form a 90 degree angle on an otherwise round object (the scope body); those things being the elevation and windage screws.

So if there is a "cant" thus defined, then the worst that can happen is that: if the vertical crosshair is straight up and down on a rifle that is level, the adjustment screws may not be exactly perpendicular to or 90 degrees from the level rifle...  :-\  Is that correct?
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 12:33:01 PM »
Okay, not trying to be smart here, but I must be missing something...  :-\

You defined the "cant" as being determined by it's relationship to an unattached, outside source (the plum line).

But if that outside source is not used, then the only way a "cant" can be detected is by the crosshairs relationship to the only 2 things that form a 90 degree angle on an otherwise round object (the scope body); those things being the elevation and windage screws.

So if there is a "cant" thus defined, then the worst that can happen is that: if the vertical crosshair is straight up and down on a rifle that is level, the adjustment screws may not be exactly perpendicular to or 90 degrees from the level rifle...  :-\  Is that correct?

That's it.  You've got it.   ;)

Offline clum sum

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 03:51:58 PM »
Dummies ,People who use precision tools from Harbor Fright instead of tools by Starrett or the like.
A man's hand shake is his bond.
                     Joe R. Risley Jr.