Author Topic: Leupold's warrenty??  (Read 7809 times)

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Leupold's warrenty??
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 06:21:22 PM »
Dummies ,People who use precision tools from Harbor Fright instead of tools by Starrett or the like.

I saved money using HF.  That was smart!!  ;D

Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 04:37:49 PM »
Dummies ,People who use precision tools from Harbor Fright instead of tools by Starrett or the like.

I can understand your need to save money, since in order to use your measurement tools they need to be calibrated and that is not cheap.

I am willing to bet Leupold's actual calibrated precision measuring tools are far more accurate then your frugal Harbor Freight purchase.

yooper77

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 06:11:13 PM »

I can understand your need to save money, since in order to use your measurement tools they need to be calibrated and that is not cheap.

I am willing to bet Leupold's actual calibrated precision measuring tools are far more accurate then your frugal Harbor Freight purchase.

yooper77

Their tools are better.  That's why I sent it back to let them decide.  Now I've got a reticle that looks like the Tower of Pisa, and I'm living with that.  If I was some big name they would probably make sure it is replaced. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline eastbank

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 12:10:16 AM »
send the scope to me and i,ll send it back for you and if they do not fix it i,ll buy it off of you, any thing to let the dead horse rest. eastbank.

Offline George Foster

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 12:35:24 AM »
I have using scopes for 57yrs now but I have never owned a Leupold, I have just never felt they were worth the additional cost for them that you apparently pay for the name and warranty.  I have always felt their warranty was the best and a lot of people have always had a need to use it.  I have used many brands of scopes and have shot rifles with Leupolds but quite honestly I never found the Leupolds optics any better than other brands.  The other thing I have never had to send a scope of any brand in for warranty work although I have always hunted a great deal in inclement weather plus doing an awfully lot of shooting where I was adusting the scope for different distances such as shilloutte shooting and never have had a problem with any scope.  I know I am probably just fortunate as some have a lot of trouble with scopes other than Leupold and rifles other than Remington but I can only speak to my personal experience.
Good Shooting,
George

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 02:02:24 AM »
if you never had a scope go bad you either havent owned enough of them or used them enough. Ive had scopes from every major manufacture back for defects and damage. As long as you through remington into the deal ill add the same statement for about every rifle manufacture too. Far fewer leupolds then any other. Mechanincal things wear and break. The only way i can figure a guy could go 57 years without any trouble whatsoever is if he never opened the gun cabinet. My equiptment gets USED. Not just a couple sight in shots and maybe a whitetail or two every year.  Ive seen 30 year old scopes fail just from the orings in the drying up and i doubt many scopes would go 57 years and even hold nitrogen, espeically the ones that were made 57 years ago. Also if your shooting shilloutte with cheap optics id bet your one of the only on the line doing so. Id be a good many of them want scopes even better then a leupold or at least a higher end leupold. As to there reliablity ill go back to the two points i made earlier. No scope is used more on heavy kicking dangerous game rifles then leupolds and no scope is used more in about every form of precision rifle shooting then leupolds. There sure must be a reason for this. As for paying for a name i guess i just dont get it. Leupold is a mid priced scope no differnt the nikon or burris or weaver. There comparable in price to all of those brands when comparing scopes of equal levels of performance. So whats this majic brand of scope your buying that has precision tracking, great optics, great reliability and a great service dept that cost a heck of alot less? I think all of us would like to know! I can see a guy prasing another brand of good scopes like nikon, ziess, ect but sorry for being blunt but the only two reasons for buying cheap optics are your either tight or poor. Optics are one thing that your truely get what you paid for.
blue lives matter

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2013, 02:49:23 AM »
Just curious Lloyd but how did you determine that more professional hunters in Alaska & Africa use Leupolds than all other brands combined?  ;D

HC, I think your full of it. JMO  ;)
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2013, 05:01:09 AM »
nothing factual, just 30 years or reading about every gun mag out there and paying attention to what i see on guns that guys that make there living from them use. Its about like saying theres more model 70s used in africa and alaska by professionals  then any other brand of rifle. I sure cant prove it but id bet its true.
blue lives matter

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2013, 09:34:17 AM »
Just wondered what kind of scientific method you used.  ;D :o I started reading every magazine I could afford to buy in the mid 50s and I'll bet according to my memory at that time weaver was the most used in America. But of course leupold was very popular by the time I moved to the rocky mts. In 1982. And Alaska in 1997.

But I'd bet the ones that can afford better use them. And believe you me there are a lot better scopes made but you got to be rich. Really not many professionals use factory model 70s without some tuning. Considering British doubles was the African gold standard before the model 70 became available in the 60s, in 375 H&h and 458 do you really believe pros scoped their doubles? Especially with leupolds.

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline yooper77

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2013, 02:07:31 PM »

yooper77

Their tools are better.  That's why I sent it back to let them decide.  Now I've got a reticle that looks like the Tower of Pisa, and I'm living with that.  If I was some big name they would probably make sure it is replaced.

I have no doubt Leupold's calibrated precision measurement tools are better than your non-calibrated non-precision measurement tools and I trust Leupold if they said your scope is within specs.

I would love too see the letter Leupold sent back with your scope explaining that it is within specs.

Can you scan the Leupold letter or take a picture of it for us all too see?

I also would love too see the scope in person.

yooper77

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2013, 03:01:05 PM »

yooper77

I have no doubt Leupold's calibrated precision measurement tools are better than your non-calibrated non-precision measurement tools and I trust Leupold if they said your scope is within specs.

I would love too see the letter Leupold sent back with your scope explaining that it is within specs.

yooper77

Leupold just sends a form letter with boxes checked off.  They didn't address my letter to them about the cant. I don't save the letters because they are all the same and say nothing.  But I do save informative letters, like when you order a mold from LBT, Veral writes you a handwritten note telling what he did and why he did it.  LBT is quality.  Leupold is quantity.  Remember, in everything, quality over quantity. 

See that revolver to the left? That's a Trijicon RMR on it.  It's supposed to take 1,100 G's.  I put that on after I blew the guts out of the Leupold 2X VXII.

Offline George Foster

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 12:20:42 AM »
Lloyd, I will be quite blunt with you, since you seem to be always having problems with scopes or guns it is you and not the product!  You are apparently not using the products correctly, there is no other way in my opinion you should experience as many problems as you say you have.  I am sorry that I have never had to send in a scope or rifle over the years but that is the way it is. My first scope was a Weaver I bought in 1955 with money I earned from trapping and I had it till I gave it to my minister in 1982.  As far as I know he still has it and uses it.  I have had vaious brands of scopes over the years but I have always liked Weaver and Bushnell the best.  For my target shooting bench rest and silloutte I always used the T Series Weavers, for my varmint and big game hunting I always preferred Bushnell.  At the present time I have both on my rifles and I also have two scopes that are 25 to 30 years young and they both still work well.  The Weaver T Series scopes are still used a lot by folks for benchrest, sillouette and etc.  At the present time I think the March scopes are very popular with knowledgable shooters and they aren't cheap for sure.  No I don't shoot much I have slowed down in recent years and I now only shoot 1000 or so rounds each year.  One of my varmint rifles is on its fourth barrel (Same Caliber), over the years I have shot a ton of targets, varmints, deer and spent a lot of time at the range working up loads.  As far as having problems with rifles I haven't had a rifle as of yet that I found to inaccurate, some I had to spend more time with getting to shoot as I want than others.  I know you have an oversized ego but the truth of the matter is I don't care what you think as you are a nobody just like the rest of us and your opinion counts for no more than anyone elses.
Good Shooting,
George

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 01:29:23 AM »
because i state my opinion George, i have an inflated ego? Have i ever said that my opinion is worth more then yours or anyone elses. Could be you base your opinion on me due to the fact im brutaly honest. If someone is spouting bs ill be the first to raise the bs flag pal. If that offends some I could care less. The internet is to full of bs and sell proclaimed experts that do alot more keyboard work then trigger work. Deer hunting experts that have killed maybe a dozen deer in there lives and think they have all the answers as to which calibers and loads  are best. Im far from being an optics engineer and never claimed to be one.

I give my honest real world opinion on a scopes performance and real world experience on customer service. I buy alot of guns and alot of scopes. I usualy start a season with 3 or 4 new guns. I get a chance to hanlde a few more then the average guy because my buddy does the same. Probably 95 percent of the troubles ive had with optics have been right out of the box. So how does that translate to me abusing optics? Ill also ask where the hell are all the posts with me having problems with guns? Just the oposite pal. In the last 10 years ive had exactly three guns that needed service. A ruger #1 that came with the firing pin hole drilled off center in the block, a ruger hawkeye that came with a barrel with terrible chatter marks in it and a reminton 700 that was 20 years old that the extractor broke on. Ive had a couple more rugers ive sent back because they just didnt shoot well but that cant be considered breakage of any kind.

Now considering ive probably bought at least 25 new rifles in that period and if you threw out my ruger problems youd see that for the most part out of the box rifles are just fine and in all that time other then an extractor ive never broke a single part id say there isnt much abuse going on. So before you start making accusations you should maybe get your facts straight.

Ill appologize now for all my future posts your involved in George. Becasue i plan on continueing to post honest answers to posters questions. They may not allways be the right answer or the only right answer but you can bet your !!! they came from real world experiences and if you ever got a chance to meet a single one of my friends in person theyd laugh you off the planet for thinking i was egotistical. What might be the problem here george is people today are so used to bs and internet experts that honesty gets confused with being egotistical. I guess if i offend you in anyway theres allways the ignore button. What i wont do george is join you in making personal attacks.
blue lives matter

Offline George Foster

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 02:11:53 AM »
To each their own Lloyd, whenever anyone disagrees with you according to you they are wrong.  Such as telling someone about getting their panties in a knot when it was you that was doing that.  Just continue on and I will do so myself and continue to listen to TRUE EXPERTS when I have a question such as John Barness for instance.  Adios, I answered your questions with my personal experience and since it doesn't match yours OH WELL, I don't care.
Good Shooting,
George

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2013, 02:30:55 AM »
now my feelings are hurt ;)
blue lives matter

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2013, 03:41:50 PM »
Here's the new Leupold 2X Handgun scope after returning from Leupold. 

Sorry about the rotated image.  You can see it more clearly if you turn your head clockwise. 

Here's my Leupy 4X Handgun scope.  Same thing! 

Here's my Leupold 4.5 - 14 X 40 Mark 4 Precision Rifle

Here's my Var III 6.5 - 20 X 40. 

Why can't a big company get one thing right? 

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »
Maybe I should just stay out of this one because I really don't have a horse in this race.
In these photos all that I can tell for sure is that they are not taken from square to and centered with the center line of the scopes and because of that you can really tell nothing about the position of the cross hairs. The first one comes closest to being square but it is off some. With that just as when moving your eye around to extreme positions from behind the proper eye relief distance the cross hairs will move.

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2013, 06:30:25 PM »
Maybe I should just stay out of this one because I really don't have a horse in this race.
In these photos all that I can tell for sure is that they are not taken from square to and centered with the center line of the scopes and because of that you can really tell nothing about the position of the cross hairs. The first one comes closest to being square but it is off some. With that just as when moving your eye around to extreme positions from behind the proper eye relief distance the cross hairs will move.

Bruce

You're right.  You should stay out of this one.   ;D

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2013, 11:05:28 PM »
Since its obvious you have a personal axe to grind with Leupold HC, and no one is buying your opinion. Maybe the best option for you would be to just sell all your leupolds and buy a brand of scope or sight you do like.

That's what I did with bushnell.

Regards,  ;)
Byron

NRA LIFE

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2013, 12:05:01 AM »
amen to that. Reading though this i see you have at least 4 of them. Can i ask why if they were all tilted and it bothered you did you keep buying them and Id think if i had problems with 2 at least with the 3rd and 4th i would have looked before i paid good money for them. Cant say that its true but you sure come off as just a leupold basher. Its a pretty popular sport but mostly done by guys that dont have one or never did. 
Since its obvious you have a personal axe to grind with Leupold HC, and no one is buying your opinion. Maybe the best option for you would be to just sell all your leupolds and buy a brand of scope or sight you do like.

That's what I did with bushnell.

Regards,  ;)
blue lives matter

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2013, 04:02:06 AM »
I think that if you move the camera to align with the scope, your crosshairs will be centered.  If this picture is what you are seeing with the scope mounted to a rifle, you need a different mount and/or move your cheek on the stock and/or get the correct stock for your build.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2013, 05:00:06 AM »
charles i dont think hes refering to the crosshairs being off center. thats like you said just the camera not being square behind the scope. What hes refering to is the crosshairs being tilted off center.
blue lives matter

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2013, 07:16:21 AM »
The two handgun scopes were replaced with red dots. For rifle shooting, the two scopes pictured above were adjusted to eliminate the effects of cant.  So everything works.   :D

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »

Bruce

You're right.  You should stay out of this one.   ;D

Well glad to see my observations are appreciated.
BTW: If you re-read my comment you will notice that I did not say that you did or did not have a problem. Just that you honestly can't tell form those pictures.

Have a good day

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline yooper77

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2013, 04:48:25 PM »

yooper77

yooper77

Leupold just sends a form letter with boxes checked off.  They didn't address my letter to them about the cant. I don't save the letters because they are all the same and say nothing.  But I do save informative letters, like when you order a mold from LBT, Veral writes you a handwritten note telling what he did and why he did it.  LBT is quality.  Leupold is quantity.  Remember, in everything, quality over quantity. 

I know exactly the type of letter Leupold sends. I have used their warranty service on scopes that I purchased used. Leupold sent me a card telling me they have received my scope and when I get it back, it comes with a letter stating what work was accomplished or free replacement scope.

I own 10 Leupold scopes and none have canted reticles and I have yet to see a Leupold scope with a canted reticle.

As for Leupold not addressing your possible canted reticles, I am confused how did you ever get the information you said Leupold told you the canting was within their specs if they didn't address your problem?

I am not going to attempt to compare a bullet mold company to an optics company, all comparisons are mute.

I do know that Leupold sells high quality optics, so in turn forces them to sell in large quantities.

Also your pictures do nothing and prove nothing.

yooper77

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2013, 05:04:38 PM »

yooper77

yooper77

I know exactly the type of letter Leupold sends. I have used their warranty service on scopes that I purchased used. Leupold sent me a card telling me they have received my scope and when I get it back, it comes with a letter stating what work was accomplished or free replacement scope.

I own 10 Leupold scopes and none have canted reticles and I have yet to see a Leupold scope with a canted reticle.

As for Leupold not addressing your possible canted reticles, I am confused how did you ever get the information you said Leupold told you the canting was within their specs if they didn't address your problem?

I am not going to attempt to compare a bullet mold company to an optics company, all comparisons are mute.

I do know that Leupold sells high quality optics, so in turn forces them to sell in large quantities.

Also your pictures do nothing and prove nothing.

yooper77

Those pictures are exactly what I see with my naked eye. It doesn't matter how the camera was held.  The cant is the same.  I got the information about cant and Leupold from a knowledgeable website I posted earlier.  I'm not screaming and complaining. I'm just stating a defect.  The scopes are workable and those handgun scopes will give me groups most here would never dream of.  I have the best target on the internet using a big bore revolver shooting sub 1" group at 200 yards using a Leupold 2X.  So if there is anyone who can tell you how good a Leupold scope is, it is me.  Buying lots of scopes, looking at them and putting them in the safe doesn't make for an expert either.   :D

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2013, 05:20:56 PM »
BFR 475 Linebaugh
420 grain LBT WFN
LBT Blue
Hornady Brass
26 grains W296
Fed 155 primer

Target - 200 yards

Oh, less I forget.  Leupold 2X scope with Stoney Point target turret.  I shoot so far I need target turrets!  ;D

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2013, 12:29:23 AM »
HC,

I'm honestly confused by your posts in this thread. Your continuing to use these defective scopes that you were so upset about because leupold would not fix them.  :o that seems to me like you just wanted to vent a little bit, maybe directing all this at Lloyd.

Oh well seems like we have come full circle.  >:( I hate playing games.  :P

You have as good a day as you can, now ya hear.
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2013, 05:31:57 AM »
HC,

I'm honestly confused by your posts in this thread. Your continuing to use these defective scopes that you were so upset about because leupold would not fix them.  :o that seems to me like you just wanted to vent a little bit, maybe directing all this at Lloyd.

Oh well seems like we have come full circle.  >:( I hate playing games.  :P

You have as good a day as you can, now ya hear.

They are canted and I use them.  I just turn them so they are straight.  You too have a nice day.   ;)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2013, 01:35:30 AM »
thats a great 200 yard group but its sure not a one inch group. Looks to me more like about 4 inch.
blue lives matter