Author Topic: Need Advise  (Read 584 times)

Offline jrfrmn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Need Advise
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:05:50 PM »
I want to start loading my own ammo for 40 cal pistol . What are the basic's I need for hand loading one shell at a time. What cases are the best for mulitple loading? Which brand of cases?   
                                                                                            Thanks!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Re: Need Advise
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 12:14:10 AM »
I would need more information, before I make any recommendations. How many are you going to load in a years time? Is the 40 the only case you will ever load? How much room do you have to work with? If you need to put every thing into a closet and pull it out to load or do you have a bench to load on? By knowing more of what you have in mind and in the future I can make a good recommendation. Not knowing all of that, I would recommend starting with a "kit" and a set of dies for your case. Make sure you have at least one loading manual, more is better. Just about all of the major press manufacturers have a kit. Lee being the cheapest and then working your way up. I do not care for Lee a whole lot, but there are folks that swear by them. If you are not going to load very much, I think they would suffice. I also think you will regret it, if you start loading very much. If you are only going to load a few a year, I would not recommend reloading at all. If you are going to shoot 1000 rounds a year, then I think a good single stage press would work just fine. If you are going to shoot 1000+ every month, then a progressive is the way to go. For handgun brass, I do not get excited about whose I use as long as it is a major manufacturer. Winchester, Remington, Hornady, etc. I like to buy all the same kind or keep them in lots of 50 or 100 of different kinds.

Good Luck and Good Shooting   
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 04:08:02 AM »
 40 s&w brass is widely available. I would just buy used brass, usually listed as 'once fired'. Even if it is more than once fired, you would be O.K., dreaded 'Glock bulge' aside.

The 1st thing I would do is get a reloading manual & start reading, it could even be a slightly older addition. Yes, the most current would be best. I'd also get more than one in order to cross reference data.

The 40 is/can be a higher pressure round. It is easily reloaded, but one has to use their head. You'll want the loads to cycle reliably, but they don't have to flirt with dangerous pressure levels. I like a mid speed range powder for the 40, often that's H Universal for me. My mid charges of Universal cycle just fine, but have never gotten me into trouble.

Starting out you need to ensure quality over quantity. It's always prudent to just load up 10-20 rounds at 1st & test them out. You don't want to load 200 rounds of ammo that doesn't work.

Supplies are tight right now, but can be had. Keep your eyes & ears open & buy things as you find them.
NRA, Veteran

Offline gary0529

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 07:03:12 AM »
"Supplies are tight" is a massive understatement.
Reasonable prices IF you can find a usable powder for your application is doubly hard.
Primers?  good luck.

I have enough for me but only because I had the foresight or good luck to get adequate supplies over a year ago but I am always being asked by non reloading friends to get them this or that so they can start reloading-cannot find anything.
Look at powder valley-will not even take orders anymore. I have read different statements that they are back ordered MILLIONS of primers.
So, if you really are going to start up reloading I would try to get primers and powder first and them go out and get the equipment to reload-however, even saying that, my friend is still back ordered on a RCBS 9mm die set. It has been 2 months and still waiting.
I just looked at Midway for 40 S&W brass---out of stock-no backorder.
Starline brass--out of stock.
You get the idea.

Best of luck to you. If you can get the needed equipment and supplies then get back to the forum and get some advice on how to proceed.
Sorry to throw a wet blanket over your idea but facts are facts.

Gary

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:05:05 AM »

Offline KansasPaul

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 02:11:38 PM »
If I were starting over again I think that I would buy the Lee Classic Turret press because it is auto-indexing which speeds up reloading as compared to a single press but it is a lot more simple to operate and cheaper than getting into a progressive set-up.  These may be available in a kit that includes a powder measure and scale. Buy carbide dies as they eliminate the need to lube cases. You'll want to invest in a tumbler to clean brass.  I use whatever used brass I can get my hands on as long as it is a major brand.  When I started out I stuck with Winchester brand components (primers & powder) because it was available locally.  I really like W231 powder - burns clean and is usable in many other handgun calibers. I shoot pretty often and I keep a selection of both jacket, plated and swaged bullets.  I am particularly fond of Missouri Bullets IDP#5 180 grain cast bullets - never had any leading issues while using W231.

Blessings

Paul

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »
If your on a budget I would recommend Lee press and dies.  They work fine for the money.  I would recommend a single stage or a turret.  I had one of their progressive presses several years ago and had a lot of trouble with it.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 07:19:05 AM »
You ask which case is the best for reloading--everyone has their own preference, mine is R-P for all calibers. Though Winchester is also very good. I have had good luck with Sellior&Bellot, PMC, Fiocci, and even Herters seems to work pretty well (their brass cased ammo). The cases I like the least are Federal. They work, but I just don't like them.

Supplies are tight right now--so go slow--and don't get discouraged--in about a year or so things will loosen up I think.

As for reloading the round (.40) my nephew loads for it and on his first try his reloads was hitting the dirt in front of the 25 yard target out of both his Sig and his brothers Berreta . He upped his powder by .6 of grain and his loads shoot great out of both guns now. So when you start --go slow--and experiment.
Good luck,
cybin

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 01:15:53 PM »
Don't skimp.  Get what you really want.  Your habbit will GROW!