Author Topic: Weaver side mount problems  (Read 923 times)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
Weaver side mount problems
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:38:39 AM »
My 325 Savage has a one piece Weaver side mount on it and I can't get my scope dialed in.  The scope is at the limit of its adjustments just to get centered on the bore sighter.  When I got it there was a shim under the rear of the scope but with or with out it makes little difference.

Can this scope mount be tuned or will I end up having to put iron sights back on it? 

Tony

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Weaver side mount problems
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:47:15 AM »
I would try cutting some shim stock out of an aluminum can, and experimenting to see if you can bring it into alignment.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 12:15:38 PM »
Did you try a good working scope? 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 12:46:35 PM »
The scope I used is one I've had good luck with in the past.  I'm reworking the rifle I had it on so it was just sitting around. 

I have one other rifle that isn't sighted in and I could rob the scope off that one to try.  It's a new Redfield Revolution 2-7x.  I'll try it tonight to see if it makes a difference.

I've tried shimming the mount ever way I can think of with paper and cardboard and nothing seems to make much of a difference.  It's consistently low and right at the end of adjustment...

Tony

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 01:36:27 PM »
I should be working but, I tried the other scope.  Same issue and exactly the same amount off.  I did some searching on this mount mount and the 340 /325 Savage Stevens and it appears that even though Weaver recommends this mount for this rifle, it positions the scope too far to the right.  I'm not a machinist or, I'd mill a slab of aluminum 1/4" thick matching the radius of the barrel and mount to go under the scope base to center the scope.  It would still be low but it I would be able to center it...

I also found that B-Square used to make a mount that used the same mounting holes that didn't have the problem but it's discontinued.  I found a mount that looks like a copy of the B-Square on eBay under the Sun Optics brand.  I suppose the next step is to look for a review on these...

Tony

Offline Hairy Chest

Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »
What about this?  The reviews are good. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/146614/b-square-1-piece-interlock-weaver-style-scope-base-with-1-rings-savage-340-matte

That's interesting.  I'd read that B-Square and discontinued those.  I put in for an eMail notification for when they come back in stock...

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 06:04:22 AM »
Maybe he can put the mount in a soft vise, tighten the rings around a 1' mandrel, heat it and bend it.  Remounting with bore sighter will tell you when you are there.  I like the side mount because it looks like it sits low. 

Offline hoghunting

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 09:31:03 AM »
You could also try the Burris Signature Zee rings with the offset inserts as they will fit the Weaver style bases and will align the scope to the barrel.

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »
You could also try the Burris Signature Zee rings with the offset inserts as they will fit the Weaver style bases and will align the scope to the barrel.

Right.  If the mount will take it.  I think his side mount you have to use their rings.  The other one may take Signature rings. I think you are making the same mistake I made.  I ordered "Z" rings and they are regular.  Check to make sure because they make both, ones with inserts and regular. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 08:57:47 PM »
I exchanged PM's with a fellow that has the Sun Optics mount on his 325 and is pleased with it.  I found one on eBay for 39 bucks so I bought it.  I'll post back after it arrives.

If the new mount works OK, I'll put this one up for sale.  Supposedly they work great on bunch of other rifles...

Tony

Offline 30calflash

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »
I recall reading of a guy in the CBA mag, The Fouling Shot, that boresighted his 325/340 rifle with side mount and it was off over a foot at 50 yards. He had to shoot it onto the paper.

Odd barrel vibrations? Whatever. I'd take it out and see what it shoots like before taking it off, just from the above story. They did make them for quite a long time...
Hold still while I overthink this.