Author Topic: Pardner single shot slug question  (Read 1023 times)

Offline whackadeer

• Trade Count: (0)
Pardner single shot slug question
« on: March 15, 2013, 11:53:55 AM »
I know there may not be a perfect answer to my question but maybe someone has some insight. Wife has a 20ga break open and plans on going deer hunting this year. It is full choke so I know we have to shoot foster style slugs. As I understand it all rifled slugs are foster style. I also heard that it won't be as accurate at longer distance. Her longest shot will be in the 50 yd range. What is the most common issues at that range. Thanks for any comments you leave.
I carry a Glock because a cop is too heavy

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
Re: Pardner single shot slug question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 01:27:58 PM »
whackadeer:

You're right, there's no perfect answer to your question.  Since the gun's a 20 gauge full-choke, I'm guessing it to have a 26 or 28" barrel.  And yes, your options are limited to Foster slugs which are indeed the same thing as a rifled slug.  I'm definately NOT an expert, but "they" say that Fosters are at they're best when fired through a cylinder bore or improved cylinder barrel.  That said, my Tamer 20 which has a 20" modified barrel groups 5 shots wonderfully at 40 yards when using Remington 2.75" Sluggers.  And at these ranges, I can't tell a difference in accuracy between the standard load and the reduced recoil offering.

regards,
Jeff
Most people are sheep, some are wolves.  I'm a sheepdog.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 03:17:21 PM »
Make sure you let her try a few prior to opening day...  My experience is that the full chokes kick like a mule.  I shoot full house .45-70 ruger level loads and the little .410, 20, 16 and 12 ga. shotguns I've shot kick worse in my opinion with slugs.  At 50 yards or less might consider #4 buckshot which seems to do a good job at sub 50 yards.  Just make sure she's comfortable with whichever she chooses to use and understands the loads limitations.  With buckshot you have to be sure to pattern your gun, because every one shoots it differently.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline whackadeer

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
Can't use buckshot for deer in Indiana. I know about the kick but she really wanted this gun. I put a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad and added some weight inside the stock and will probably use low recoil slugs. I hope when sighting in that she can stand it. If she gets a shot at a deer she won't feel it.
I carry a Glock because a cop is too heavy

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 03:54:44 PM »
Very cool, just wanted to warn in case it wasn't known.  Another thing you could do is use some sand paper on a dowel and open the choke restriction just slightly.  Good luck to her, hope she gets a big-un.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 04:30:24 PM »
There is at least other one option besides a foster slug for a smoothbore slug gun and that is an attached wad slug.  The slug design is similar in that it is stable in flight by being weight forward and not by spinning like a bullet fired from a rifled barrel.  Brenneke makes attached wad slugs for smoothbore shotguns but I would read the fine print and make sure that are good to go with a full choke.  I have shot brenneke attached wad slugs in a 410 with a full choke but I have no experience shooting them in a 20 ga with a choke.

Wait, your are in Indiana, buy her a 357 Maxi for Mother's Day. ;D

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 09:23:25 AM »
Simply use a sandbag between the butt and her shoulder for sighting in or checking loads.  Don't worry about it while hunting.  When she has a deer in front of her it won't kick at all.

Just use a Foster style slug and do not worry about the choke.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Pardner single shot slug question
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 01:23:11 AM »
Mine is the same configuration and is very accurate up to 70 yds. Recoil never bothered me with your recoil pad on it. Mine is d&t for a scope. Plain Rem Sluggers 2.75
Good luck.
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 05:41:38 AM »
Dont know if they make reduced velo Foster slug loads but if they do try them. In a full choke Id be reluctant to use the Brenneke style, though they have deep vanes that should compress going through it, they are kinda expensive and I got better groups with basic Win. Foster's in mine.
Get a couple of boxes of Rem., Fed., and Win. and try them all.
For her I suggest standing, not off the bench or it will beat her up, then game over. My shooting experienced wife only took 3 shots before she gave up on the slug gun.
Dont let her get her cheek down on the comb either, but use more heads up sighting. That thing will punch her in the cheekbone and sighting right down the top of the barrel wont likely put the slug on target. You might want to do the tests and get the sighting figured first. a little wood block simulating a rear sight taped around the barrel and Magic Marker blacked may give her the right heads up and reference point to make good hits.
BTW, do you want it to be a choked gun for shot use? Even so, will you use shot to distance or how would a cyl. bore 20 be for you guys for closer in/more open pattern shot loads?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974