Author Topic: Double actions hard to find?  (Read 907 times)

Offline stevinator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Double actions hard to find?
« on: March 15, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »
I realize in our area we have the same ammo shortage as everyone else,but do you have a large caliber handgun shortage also?I can't find 45 lc to save my life and 357 and 9mm are about non existent along with 22 and 22 mag.I haven't seen a gp 100 or super redhawk or blackhawk to save my life.I can't believe you can't find 44 mags and things like that,this is way different than 2008.

Offline spruce

Re: Double actions hard to find?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 02:25:58 AM »
Yeah, it's crazy.

Walked in a LGS last week and in the revolver section of the display case they had a Bond Arms .357 derringer and a fixed sight Ruger Single Six - period!  Their normal stock would be about 15 or so assorted brands/calibers.

What seemed odd to me at the time is they had at least a dozen semi autos in that section of the case.  Four or five .22's, two Remington 1911's, a few .40's, don't remember any 9mm's.  All were "full size", no subcompacts. 
Maybe people are buying more revolvers as they figure they can't get mags or enough ammo to feed the semi autos.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 11:04:22 AM »
Could be, I've always been a revolver guy because they are much better for the handloader. A .357 can use .38 special or .38 Colt brass, a .44 mag can use .44 special or .44 Colt brass and of course cast bullets and a wide variety of powders, even black powder in a pinch and you don't have to crawl around in the sagebrush and rattle snakes to recover precious brass, they just dump out in your hand. So if things get really tough you can keep a revolver fed much more easily than an auto. On the other hand, 9mm has been so cheap one could easily stock up a life's supply, IF one started socking at least a couple of years ago.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 03:17:48 PM »
In my area all the new S&W N Frames are gone.  There seems to be plenty of new S&W pistols and most f the ruger lineup too.  The S&W  586 revolvers are there also.  They had no cz pistols at all but all the taurus revolvers there.

Just before the big buy happened theyy had all the new S&W N Frames between $599 to $699 in nickel finish too.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 02:55:56 AM »
My LGS's shelves are full of used DA revolvers.  In fact one has 3 nickle plated .S&W's on his shelf that were traded by separate individuals.   When I asked what was up with all the revolvers the owner stated that people were trading up to large cap semi-autos while they could still get them. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC