Author Topic: visitation with my new ultra  (Read 652 times)

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
visitation with my new ultra
« on: March 16, 2013, 03:19:57 AM »
bought another h&r, the 45-70 ultra hunter stainless.  found a great price online with almost no shipping cost.  my neighborhood ffl just passed on to the happy hunting/shooting grounds and i scrambled to find another, 5 miles away.  travel time for the rifle was only 3 dayze and the tracking said it had arrived, so yesterday i made plans to pick it up, get the paper work and nics checks over with, and take the beauty home to prep and take to the range today for a proper baptism under fire.  HOWEVER, due to the "recent huge amount of gun purchases" in nj, registration can no longer be done on the spot via a phone call.  all paper work is now faxed over with at least a 4-5 day wait.  bummers.  no rifle.  just got to check her out and fondle her lines.  buying guns was a whole lot easier back in 50's .... just sayin'.  i need to move back to texas.  >:( :(     ::)

NRA Life Member ~ Molon Labe

Offline Tractorsaw1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: visitation with my new ultra
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 03:29:16 AM »
i bought mine in december.  Basically same thing happened.  3 day wait.  Didn't pick it up until jan1.  What's your thoughts on the recoil pad?  Still haven't shot mine yet.
We can skin a buck we can run a trot line & a country boy can survive

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 05:25:47 AM »
my initial loads are trail boss and 405gn boolits, so recoil will not be an issue.  dunno about smokeless or bp "full" rifle loads, but i have a 16oz mercury recoil tube to slip in if need be (was planning on using that with the buffalo classic and it's steel crescent butt plate).  i also use a "past" shoulder recoil pad.  i'm just getting into 45-70 and long distance and have *much* to learn, but that's half the fun, right? :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 05:29:39 AM »
Congrats!! Unfortunately there's no way to just "slip in" an MRR, there's no stock bolt hole in the t-hole stock, you'll have to drill one......nervously, being careful to not drill out the side!  ???

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 05:34:28 AM »
Congrats!! Unfortunately there's no way to just "slip in" an MRR, there's no stock bolt hole in the t-hole stock, you'll have to drill one......nervously, being careful to not drill out the side!  ???

Tim

yeah, knew that - i'm a wood worker and boring a long forstner bit hole into that thumbhole stock ain't no big deal for me.   8) ;)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 05:44:20 AM »
Good luck, the C&H 16oz MRR is 5" long, that puts you into the recessed part of the stock.  ;)

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 05:53:56 AM »
I forgot you don't have the gun to see the recess you have to deal with, here's a pic of the Ultra t-hole stock on my 7x57, it's the same stock I have on the SS 45-70 (same Decelarator pad! :D), but I don't have a pic of the right side of it.

Tim

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 06:11:14 AM »
ooooo, yer right, i see - dat's a problem with the tapered stock.  oh well, plan B - drill in a series of sort depth holes and fill with lead shot, or better yet, just leave it be.  :)  the 16oz merc tube is really for the buff classic, anyhoo. 

Offline Tractorsaw1

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 03:02:08 PM »
I am working on a gsi target varmit forend. Plan on changing to a better pad for those full house loads

Offline Tractorsaw1

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Any pad that is thicker than a 1/4" will be better than what it comes with

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 04:04:17 AM »
I believe the TH stock has the same, or maybe even a better, pad as my UV stock Im using, and I like it just fine. If you are making stout hunting loads and shooting off the bench all the time (would that be the 'hunting bench'?) you WILL want the PAST shoulder pad, in the field you wont likely notice.
For target shooting you dont want 'beat you up loads'.
I remember some years back a chap got a nice traditional styled 45-70 for BPCR matches and a box of factory lead bullet loads. He almost didnt make it through. Later someone gave him some BP loads and the recoil impulse was quite different. He said that if all he ever had was smokeless loads to shoot in it he would have sold it. Long strings of hard, or sharp, kicking loads are not conducive to good scores.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974