Author Topic: distance from house to shoot deer  (Read 2810 times)

Offline bill50

• Trade Count: (0)
distance from house to shoot deer
« on: March 17, 2013, 01:50:20 PM »
cant find any info on hunting distance from house in indiana  anyone know if there are any laws concerning gun hunting for deer how far you have to be from neighbors house just got permission to hunt 10 acres                                      thanks bill

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: distance from house to shoot deer
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 02:04:40 PM »
  Here in NY it is 500 ft from an occupied dwelling..or nearby it... with permission.
   In any case, this should help:
      http://www.eregulations.com/indiana/hunting/deer-regulations/
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline FPH

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 06:40:28 PM »
150 yds here in NM.

Offline michael_richardson43

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
I don't believe they call for any distance from a house. But let common sense be your guide.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:03:17 AM »
That link I gave you should have a phone number you can use to contact your local DEC.  I would just call them and ask....they will likely be ready to help..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline bill50

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 02:11:38 PM »
thanks iron i did  try looking on that sight just figured somebody might know i will give them a call

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 02:58:20 AM »
As with shooting within, into, upon or across a public highway, there is no specific measurable distance, to the best of my knowledge.  Let common sense be your guide.  If you discharge a firearm close enough to the dwelling of another to raise concern, you really need to rethink your situation.  10 acres seems quite inadequate for your intended purpose.  I wouldn't consider it in a hunting situation.  To shoot into a proper backstop in an area not regulated is one thing but to hunt in such an area doesn't seem too well thought out.  If you do call the authorities for an answer have them quote Indiana code and post it here. 

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 01:04:11 PM »
Bill;
   I am a hunter-safety instructor..training & testing applicants in order to get their hunting license.  I would help you if I could, but I don't want to get you in trouble.  Yes,iIt does seem that common sense should prevail..but if you happen to have a grumpy fellow around it can get sticky.  If someone calls the state police on a hunter..they may just get out their measuring device ..if needed.
   Here it is 500 ft from any occupied dwelling, but it could be different where you are.  Believe me, if somebody called me with that question, I would be pleased to help them..better "safe than sorry" any day.

Offline FPH

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 01:31:08 PM »
As with shooting within, into, upon or across a public highway, there is no specific measurable distance, to the best of my knowledge. 

There is in NM.

Offline bill50

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 01:33:39 PM »
tried calling today, lady said she didnt think there was any rule on that.  she took my number and said she would have co call me. ill give it a day and try calling back.      bill

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 02:16:20 PM »
As with shooting within, into, upon or across a public highway, there is no specific measurable distance, to the best of my knowledge. 

There is in NM.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  Here in NY is is a big NO NO..to shoot from or across a highway.  The highway to include the state owned pavement (if paved), shoulder and right-of-way; although a hunter can cross the road with a loaded gun.  However, a loaded gun in or on the vehicle is another NO NO..
  That is NY however, and may not apply elsewhere..although I believe most states have very similar rules..

BTW:  Different roads, depending upon their importance are laid out in different width of  right-of-ways.  Using the oll "Rod" measure, which equals 16.5 feet, there are 2-rod, 3-rod and 4-rod roads. etc....usually the right-of-way is obvious and rarely contended with, so long as the shooter is well off the shoulder..

Offline FPH

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »

There is in NM.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  Here in NY is is a big NO NO..to shoot from or across a highway.  The highway to include the state owned pavement (if paved), shoulder and right-of-way; although a hunter can cross the road with a loaded gun.  However, a loaded gun in or on the vehicle is another NO NO..
  That is NY however, and may not apply elsewhere..although I believe most states have very similar rules..

We cannot shoot across a public road, must stay 30 yds off a public road, and cannot have a loaded rifle in the truck.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 05:49:31 PM »
cant find any info on hunting distance from house in indiana  anyone know if there are any laws concerning gun hunting for deer how far you have to be from neighbors house just got permission to hunt 10 acres                                      thanks bill

I've hunted deer for over 25 years in IN.  I keep up with the regs and I've never read anything about hunting a certain distance from a house, building, etc.  Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but never heard of it.  Shooting over a road and being so far from a road and shooting are in the regs but apply to shooting in general.

There are lots of houses where I hunt.  Basically if you can see a house or know the house is over the hill don't shoot that way. ;)

Sounds like you have a cranky neighbor.  Good luck with it.

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
  • Trying to improve myself one shot at a time.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 02:43:02 AM »
Ditto to what YRUpunting said. That is something that is probably governed by local town or city ordinances. Shooting in town/city limits between certain hours, etc.. That sort of thing.
Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 04:18:17 AM »

Some here need to understand this is an Indiana forum and rules and laws from more communist controlled states do not apply here.  Here is Indiana code for shooting in the presence of roads and waterways.   Pay special attention to the words within, into, upon, or across and how they are used instead of quoting useless distances.

IC 14-22-6-9
Shooting from or across public highways prohibited
     Sec. 9. A person may not:
        (1) hunt, shoot, shoot at, or kill an animal; or
        (2) shoot at an object;
from within, into, upon, or across a public highway in Indiana.
As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.15.

IC 14-22-6-10
Shooting into or across waters of the state
     Sec. 10. A person may not shoot into or across:
        (1) the waters of the state; or
        (2) the boundary waters of the state;
except in the lawful pursuit of wild animals.

As I've already stated, there appears to be no measurable distance regulated.  Don't accept answers that can't be backed up by quoting Indiana code.  Let common sense be your guide in this state.  Also keep in mind, if this little plot falls within city limits, that city will have its own rules and regs you will be required to follow such as some of the urban hunts.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 05:22:07 AM »

Some here need to understand this is an Indiana forum and rules and laws from more communist controlled states do not apply here.  Here is Indiana code for shooting in the presence of roads and waterways.   Pay special attention to the words within, into, upon, or across and how they are used instead of quoting useless distances.

IC 14-22-6-9
Shooting from or across public highways prohibited
     Sec. 9. A person may not:
        (1) hunt, shoot, shoot at, or kill an animal; or
        (2) shoot at an object;
from within, into, upon, or across a public highway in Indiana.

IC 14-22-6-10
Shooting into or across waters of the state
     Sec. 10. A person may not shoot into or across:
        (1) the waters of the state; or
        (2) the boundary waters of the state;
except in the lawful pursuit of wild animals.

As I've already stated, there appears to be no measurable distance regulated.  Don't accept answers that can't be backed up by quoting Indiana code.  Let common sense be your guide in this state.  Also keep in mind, if this little plot falls within city limits, that city will have its own rules and regs you will be required to follow such as some of the urban hunts.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
   Sounds state laws regarding highway shooting laws are pretty much standard across the country.  ...But we still have not answered your OP. ;)

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 06:16:46 AM »
   Sounds state laws regarding highway shooting laws are pretty much standard across the country.  ...But we still have not answered your OP. ;)

Actually it has been answered since there seems to be no state code regulating such action.  Indiana lawmakers don't seem to try to regulate every unseen possible happening like some states do.  In many cases regulation is left to town, city and county government by way of the IN DNR and in this case I can find no direct reference to such things in the county where I live or any of the surrounding counties or the towns within but then again it is illegal to discharge a firearm within most city limits without good reason and deer hunting in such places falls outside the realm of common sense and good reason.

My advice to the OP would be to talk to neighbors and explain your intent before hand (as long as this is taking place in an unregulated part of the state) and get their reaction up front.  Might be simpler than defending against a civil charge after the fact.

Offline bill50

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 07:03:35 AM »
talked to co officer from county i want to hunt . he said no law against shooting distance from house in indiana.  :)  will contact neighbor this spring, if it ever gets here , to get his feelings on hunting  close to his land,   thanks to all  bill

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 07:11:03 AM »
Way to go Bill..so long as the neighbor doesn't mind, you're "in like Flynn".  If your 10 acres goes back from the highway as most do, a good share should be distant from your neighbor anyway.
  I have a veterinarian friend nearby who is shooting out behind his house at all hours... don't bother me any.  I know he, his son and grandsons all know what they are doing with guns.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 09:39:31 AM »

Actually it has been answered since there seems to be no state code regulating such action.  Indiana lawmakers don't seem to try to regulate every unseen possible happening like some states do.  In many cases regulation is left to town, city and county government by way of the IN DNR and in this case I can find no direct reference to such things in the county where I live or any of the surrounding counties or the towns within but then again it is illegal to discharge a firearm within most city limits without good reason and deer hunting in such places falls outside the realm of common sense and good reason.

My advice to the OP would be to talk to neighbors and explain your intent before hand (as long as this is taking place in an unregulated part of the state) and get their reaction up front.  Might be simpler than defending against a civil charge after the fact.

Oh no lets see here in Va. you can shoot from next to the ditch line to 100 yards off the road depending on couty you hunt in. My house makes a confortable blind !  ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 10:27:24 AM »

Oh no lets see here in Va. you can shoot from next to the ditch line to 100 yards off the road depending on couty you hunt in. My house makes a confortable blind !  ;D

My house works pretty good too.  I shoot 525yds. from the back porch quite often.  ;D   Stopped to visit my FIL one afternoon.  It was cold and a little snow was blowing around.  He was sitting in his easy chair in his living room watching TV but had a window open.  After a few minutes he stopped the conversation, picked up his gun and shot the deer walking across his garden plot.  Hard to beat a blind like that. 8)

I really have to wonder why some folks choose to live in a state with some of the laws they must put up with.  When it comes to firearms laws, we in Indiana have it better than most.

Offline omegahunter

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 06:05:55 AM »
You could even shoot from inside the house as long as you had 144 square inches of hunter orange on each side of the house thanks to last year's legislation.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 06:08:25 AM »
In Va. if you have the orange on you can be in a blind , go figure

Offline omegahunter

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 09:34:20 AM »
That is the way Indiana was until last season, they changed it to you have to wear orange and have on each side of the outside of a blind constructed of man-made materials.  Natural brush blinds don't require the orange.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 09:38:53 AM »
so you can get shot if going natural  ;D

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
so you can get shot if going natural  ;D

Almost a guarantee if her husband comes home early.  ;D