Author Topic: To drill or to Soder  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
To drill or to Soder
« on: February 19, 2004, 12:58:54 AM »
my buddy and i  are into a friendly debate about the best way to mount a scope base onto a partner shotgun barrel. 12 ga.
He says to drill and tap the chamber section.......but as thin walled as the barrel is i have to wonder if there is enough steel there for the project.

My thoughts were to silver solder a steel base.

Anybody have any thoughts on the subject......or any other ideas?

thanks in advance for any info.

TCB

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
To drill or to Soder
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 01:33:19 AM »
Opinions varie on wether there is enough metal to drill and tap. I am by no means a gunsmith but it doesn't look very thick to me>I think the soldering route you be to way to go if you have the ability to do that. I remember some disscussion of that on the old board but I don't remember reports of anyone actually doing it.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline savageT

To drill or to Soder
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 02:31:13 AM »
I'll jump in here and give you my 2 pence!  If the barrel and receiver are too thin to Drill & Tap then you do not want to silver solder either!  Too much heat generated to braze.  Instead,, go with conventional low-melting solder like 50-50 or 60-40 lead/tin as was done with Mauser military rifles.  Just watch the torch and heat sink everything to prevent problems.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
To drill or to Soder
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 02:35:54 AM »
Tcall builder, To silver solder a base onto the barrel the base must be steel, the H&R bases are alloy, can't solder them on. Try a base by TC for the Encore, I have heard the contour matches the 12 gauge H&R pretty well and there are 4 mounting screws on the base, or contact Brownells, they may have a steel base that might match. To silver solder you have to get the barrel VERY hot, possibly to hot in the chamber area, check with a GOOD gunsmith. Of course a GOOD gunsmith would probably drill and tap the barrel, many have been done that way with no disasters that I have heard of yet. It seems to work even though H&R says not to do it. Make sure your gunsmith does not drill through the chamber wall and possibly attach the mount with a total of 3 or 4 screws if you could instead of 2.  You could even have the gunsmith adill 2 more mounting holes in the alloy H&R mount. Remember they are only in a short/shallow way. That is why the TC Encore (fits the 12 gauge barrel contour closely) mount is so good, 4 screws....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Ebjonnes

To drill or to Soder
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 11:09:15 AM »
Hi. I set my TrakkerII up with a one piece steel weaver style mount. I positioned this 5in. base 7 1/2 in. foward of the breech and welded it on. With a 2x7 Burris extended eye relief scope this scout configuration gives me 12 to 14in. of eye relief, an important consideration with a 5 1/2lb.slug gun.I shoot Win. Partiton Gold 12ga.2 3/4in the gun is a real good shooter ,but recoil is STOUT.Also the scout setup alows a one hand around the frame carrying position, very handy!

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
To drill or to Soder
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 11:18:38 AM »
tcallbuilder, another option coming is the vent rib barrel in 12 gauge.  You could pick it up as an accessory barrel.  Then there are multiple ways to attach a scope.  I have a remington mount that fits on remington vent ribs (3/8" thick).  Or you could have a flat bottom weaver base installed on the rail (dill through, screw/nuts), or make some custom clips to put on millet angle lock rings and attach the rings right on the rib.

Just some ideas, most of them random.  :wink:

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
To drill or to Soder
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 11:34:44 AM »
Silver solder also means a reblue job.

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
To drill or to Soder
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 02:24:26 PM »
i have a NWTF 12ga that was drilled and tapped w/o any trouble, and it now has a holosight on it. and i love it. now H&R does say not to drill and tap any of the shotguns. but i can tell you it can be done, and it can be done safe. i would say the only thing i would do is make sure you have a GOOD GUNSMITH do the work.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
To drill or to Soder
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 07:25:36 AM »
I agree with VC...H&R recommends that you do not drill and tap the Pardner or Tracker shotguns.  Several guys said that they have had it done to their guns with success.  The key is a competent smith to do the work.  I wouldn't recommend doing this at home unless you are skilled enough to do it.  I believe H&R's recommendation comes from a legal/liability standpoint.  I guess they just want to be safe.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense