Author Topic: Stocks, wood or synthetic  (Read 719 times)

Offline gjgalligan

• Trade Count: (0)
Stocks, wood or synthetic
« on: March 18, 2013, 03:44:41 AM »
Am I the only one that does not care for wood stocks?
They look nice but are heavier for carrying and scratch up easier. I just like the synthetic.

I have passed up several rifles because of wood stocks.
I know I could change them but the cost of changing them everyone of them is too much.

Offline rangerwillie

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Stocks, wood or synthetic
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 04:38:46 AM »
I think it would be personal prefrence , I prefer syn on my 223 and 357 maxi and wood on my 45-70 30-30 and 12ga. they seem to feel better. Wood on the 223 and maxi feel like too much for to little, syn on the bigger guns feel like too little for to much.  Bottom line, what ever makes you happy is a great stock.  dan

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 04:49:33 AM »
I'm gradually getting all my lighter recoiling rifles into camo synthetic stocks.  The heavier kickers are slowly being fit with laminated stocks to cut back on the recoil.  The Superlights, .223 and 243 and .32-20 wear camo syns as do the two shortie .357 Maxis.  The 7mm-08 wears a lam at the moment, as do the .356/.358 and .38-55.  I've got a lam for the .45-70, but haven't gotten a round tuit. ;)   Patty's 7mm-08 is in a youth black synthetic, but I've got a lam for her too if she wants to shed some recoil.  Selling or trading the other stocks cuts back on the cost.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 04:50:07 AM »
i don't care.......wood just seems  right  but really don't care

WHAT I DO CARE ABOUT....right stock regarding sight height....scope or low open sights

thos high bsaes to use sights under the scope  drive me crazy
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 06:19:23 AM »
Maybe i'm just a traditionalist, but i like the wood hands down. The weight doesnt bother me yet since my furthest stand is only 3/4 mile in and i can drive my truck in to pickup anything dropped. I usually have any railings padded or i have gun holders for atv's mounted on em. If i was to have a truck gun, then it would be stainless w/ synthetic for obvious reasons. I find the added weight also helps steady any offhand shots as i'm not the most stable(im skinny and i sway in the wind). I don't mind the looks of the synthetics, just dont like the feel.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:25:36 AM »
Wood looks nice and I have mostly wood stocks. And they are mostly heavier.   

I have a Handi grip filled with stuff on a 45-70 that really absorbs recoil better because it's heavier, has a better recoil pad and has more straight line recoil so the gun doesn't kick up so much.  Fits me good also. 

But because of my shoulder I am going to lighter loads and will be limiting my caliber selection.  Like a 356 may be a heavy hitter but not as bad as a full power 45-70 which I can't enjoy anymore.  356 will have a heavier wood stock and I'll accept the weight.  Just me...

Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 01:08:58 PM »
I only like wood stocks but my son likes synthetic so I do have a couple synthetic stocked guns in the house.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 03:07:19 PM »
The only plus I see with synthetics personally is that they are lighter.  I find them noisier if you hit anything and unless you add weight to them, it makes the firearm nose heavy.  I really like my new camo lams, although the thumbhole is a little small for my meathooks, so I may end up sanding it some to increase the hole size.  ;)  I actually only have synthetics on one firearm and that's the .357 Magnum handi I have available as my wife's gun.  She's so recoil and weight sensitive, I just had to reduce the poundage for her.  This summer, my gunsmith buddy, is going to flute it for me and mount a set of irons on it for back-up.  Should end up a sweet subcompact handi!

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 04:24:41 PM »
nice! !  ;)
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline zero

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 04:34:41 PM »
I'll pass up guns just cause of a synthetic stock. Wood is the only way for me, rifles, shotguns and pistol grips. I don't like em light. Even further, i prefer long barrels and full mannlicher stocks. I like the extra weight, a 12lb gun is about right for me, lighter just feels wrong

Offline v8r

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 05:07:45 PM »
I prefer Laminated wood first, Walnut second, and synthetic dead last.
V8r's Handi collection.
H&R Ultra Varmint .223
H&R Topper 158 .22 Hornet
H&R Classic Carbine .45 LC
NEF  .357 magnum
H&R "Golden Buffalo" Buffalo Classic 45-70
NEF Pardner !2 Gauge

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 05:21:28 PM »
Wood for me.  I only keep a synthetic around so I have a set if I need to ship a receiver to H&R. 

Offline PineyCreek22

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
There are wood stocks and then wood stocks, also synthetic stocks and then synthetic stocks.  If you have a Handi rifle that you like that is a real shooter and you take pride in its performance it can be treated to a beautiful checkered walnut or tiger stripe maple stock set.  Or if you like synthetics have a custom laid up Kevlar stock made every bit as elegant as the wood. 
I believe the pallet wood, laminated or synthetic stock sets that come on Handi's to meet a particular price point are mere starting places.  Trap and skeet shooters spend huge amounts of money just on stocks.  Not only to make their guns pretty but to handle properly.  A well fit stock with proper LOP, cast off, cast on, toe in, toe out, comb height, etc....... can make the difference between an average shooter and a good shooter.  A lot of us forget the shooting platform is made of 3 different but equal parts, the stock set, the receiver barrel assembly and optics.  Equal attention should be paid to each one for each particular platform.  Personally,  I like the lowly and often overlooked pallet wood stock.  With a little imagination and a few hand tools there is a thousand different ways to alter it.  Leave it as is beat it up and abuse it, paint it, carve it, checker it, stain it, oil finish it, fill it full of lead or make it as light as a feather.  Its up to you.  Regards, Piney Creek
custom .357 mag monoblock, custom 30-30 Handi

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 12:07:32 AM »
I AM OLD SCHOOL I LIKE WOOD I DO HAVE SOME SYNTHETIC ONES THEY ARE BETTER IN THAT THY CAN TAKE ABUSE BETTER LESS WORRY.  THEY HAVE THERE PLACE. :)

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 02:40:36 AM »
Always was a wood guy, but in the last few yrs., I've gathered and shot several synthetics.  At present, half my guns are wood, half synthetic.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 07:33:30 AM »
I absolutely hate synthetic stocks on a Handi.   I'd sooner have the lowest grade wood stocks than synthetic on my Handi's.   It's one reason why I stopped buying new Handi's - all that is available in my neck of the woods are plastic stocked guns.

I have no real issue with synthetic overall.  Just with certain guns.    Wood on a AR15 would be goofy, where as synthetic would be more practical. 
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07