Author Topic: Should I consider a digital scale?  (Read 1891 times)

Offline scooter1979

• Trade Count: (0)
Should I consider a digital scale?
« on: March 19, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »
Hey guys
      Recently started loading for my new 17hornet, I've never loaded cases that small and know that slight variations in powder charge can have a big effect on cases this small. I've used a balance scale for years and have never had any problems but I was wondering if I might be ahead to get a digital scale for those small charges, seems the digital readout maybe a bit more precise when you're working with charges vary by tenths of grains, any input would be appreciated. 
Thanks
Scooter

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Re: Should I consider a digital scale?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 11:30:17 AM »
I have 3 "beam" scales. RCBS 505, 5-10, and a 502. I would trust any of them to load small loads. Why, because I have done them many times, with great results. I also have an RCBS 1500 Chargemaster. It is accurate to within + /- .1 grain. I like it a lot, but I still trust the beam scale more. However, I have pretty much stopped using the beam scales because of speed. They seem to do a good enough job. I have loaded very accurate small loads with it. I think a digital scale would work as well as a beam scale, but I think you would have to pay more than $20 for one. I would think you would have to pay as much if not more to get the quality of a good beam scale. It really comes down to personal choice, but which ever you decide on, do not go cheap. Many people have a powder thrower and just use a scale to check their weights to make sure they have not moved. To get consistant loads, you have to develop a "technique", repeating every time you throw a load.  Again, it is a matter of what you want to do, but I think you still need a good scale be it digital or beam, even if you use a thrower. It can get expensive. Of course you can just use a scale and dippers with a powder trickler. I started with a used RCBS thrower and a new RCBS 505. I loaded a lot of stuff with it and was my primary way to load. I did not have a trickler and found myself spending a lot of time getting the thrower set up. Now I just punch in the weight I want and push a button.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:45:37 AM »
Balance beam is more accurate.  Per Lee Precision tear paper into small pieces and place them in the tray.  See which one gives a reading first.  The balance beam will move before the digital.

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »
 I have a good powder throw but lack the consistency to throw accurate charges. I have worked out a routine with my RCBS Chargemaster that works for me and avoids problems. I hit dispense, pour powder into the case, hit dispense again while seating the bullet in the full case...repeat. Most of my firearms are single shot and so am I these days.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 12:00:09 PM »
I haven't seen one I was willing to stake my life on...  :o

I prefer the balance beam myself...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 12:10:51 PM »
I quit using my beam scale years ago, it just sits on the shelf gathering dust waiting for a power outage!  ;D

Tim

MXX-123 vs. RCBS 10-10 Beam Scale
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 12:15:55 PM »
I've used a "used" RCBS digital for the last year.  Like it a lot.  One thing you will notice, all scales vary from one another.  I have two Lyman, one Lee, and the RCBS.  If you take a small weight and weigh it on one, it will vary a tenth grain or so from another.  Therefore, I use only one scale to work up loads as changing scales might vary the charge a  tiny bit.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 02:13:30 PM »
Why not use the beam for a couple hundred or three rounds (or more) and see how it shoots?  Is sounds like you're trying to solve a problem that you haven't proven exists.  ;)  If your just looking for an excuse for a new toy, then permission granted.  :)

My bet is a change in wind direction or speed is going to be a bigger issue than any variance in the charge.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 03:14:28 PM »
Have used both but now just use my digital. As long as I keep good batteries in it no problems and it has checked the charge weight on many many rounds.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 03:20:47 PM »
i've yet to feel the need for
one, but if somebody has one
that needs field testing, send
it to me, and i'll give it a try. ;)

more important(to me) is to
have a set of check weights
regardless of scale type.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »
...more important(to me) is to
have a set of check weights
regardless of scale type.
Roger that
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline scooter1979

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 06:06:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys
     Guess I don't need  to buy a digital scale, I do have a set of check weights just to make sure alls well with the world.  Ive never had a problem with my scale, so Ill just keep using it. 
Thanks for input  :)

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »
offer still stands.
 if you want to send
one, i'll demo it and
e-mail a full report and
critique ;)
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 02:27:50 AM »
All i can say is ive used nothing but for 10 years now. I load more then most 10 people do and if they didnt work id sure not be using them. Anyone who says there not accurate just hasnt used one or at least hasnt used a quality one. Id sure as hell trust my pact or lyman before id trust a 10 dollar plastic lee balance beam. Now is it as accurate as a scale a chemist uses. Hell no. but ive yet to see a loading job that plus or minus a .1 of a grain of powder made a pinch of differnce in and id bet a dime to a dollar that you cant get anymore consistant then that with even a balance beam from rcbs or hornady or lyman. Absolute only two down sides i can see to one is there not cheap and if the power goes out your out of luck but then i guess in the once or twice in my lifetime the power went out while I was actually loading i found something else to do.

Funny how alot of handloaders can be so old school. Some wont use a progressive press. Some wont use a bottom pour casting pot. I know some who havent and wont even try a new powder. Me i handload to shoot not to handload. If something makes that job faster and easier im all over it. Sorry to all you old school guys but electricity was invented years ago and im not one that wants to go back to loading with a handtool using a coal oil lamp. Ive got to balance beam scales left for just in case but youd have to proably pressure wash the dust off of them.
blue lives matter

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 02:11:57 PM »
I was one of those old school guys, but broke down and bought a Chargemaster and couldn't be happier. Every powder I have checked with it has been dead nuts right on what my 5-0-5 reads. 
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 02:52:26 PM »
I have a cheap Lee scale and a Hornady digital.  They both read the same.  However, I feel the Lee is more accurate.  I wouldn't knock it too bad.  It is a fairly simple and cheap  design but it works.  The digital is faster.  No need to let it settle.

Offline gandog56

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »
I don't even know where my Lee beam scale is, anymore. A digital scale is so much faster, and they are generally +/- 0.1 grains, just like most beams.

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 04:32:46 AM »
I have been responsible for maintaining scale calibrations in several different jobs including a certified test lab. In that time, out of dozens of digital scales, I have found only two that would reliably hold a zero for more than a couple of hours. Balance beams are inherently rock solid unless dirty or damaged. If using a digital, definitly use check weights and check the zero and calibration for each reloading session. Not a bad idea with balance beams either, especially when working with maximum loads.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 06:11:47 AM »
I don't mean this as a LEE flame or at the risk of sounding like Swampy talking Remingtons...

I keep hearing ''lee scale''... IMHO Lee doesn't make a scale worth speaking of.  :o Talk about life in your hands, FAR too risky for me!

As for not using a electronic reciently. That is correct, I have not maybe they have improved. Maybe I'm a bit old fationed and YES I do load allot single stage.  ::) But my balance beam has never failed me and works as well today as it did the day it came out of its package.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 09:23:38 AM »
I have been responsible for maintaining scale calibrations in several different jobs including a certified test lab. In that time, out of dozens of digital scales, I have found only two that would reliably hold a zero for more than a couple of hours. Balance beams are inherently rock solid unless dirty or damaged. If using a digital, definitly use check weights and check the zero and calibration for each reloading session. Not a bad idea with balance beams either, especially when working with maximum loads.

This advice is consistent with what I learned in mechanical engineering and chemistry classes.
They made us use tongs on the check weights so the oils from our fingers would not get on the check weights and change their weight.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 12:39:11 PM »
I fall in the "old school" camp I suppose. I still use the same single stage RCBS press I started with 40 years ago. My RCBS beam scales are newer though because my first scale suffered an accident at the hands of my son and some of his friends.  >:( If I shot a couple of hundred rounds a week I would modernize but I don't and don't see a need to change. I can easily keep up with my needs with the old school method and I know it works. I'll just keep on keepin' on.  ;D

My Lyman check weights includes a pair of tweezers to handle the weights with and instruction as why the tweezers are needed. I suppose other brands do also. The beam scale is sensitive enough to measure a breath of air. Don't know about digitals although they should be if they approach the sensitivity of beam scales.

Offline FPH

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 02:31:40 PM »
I have two of each type and check them against each other regularly when reloading.  Make sure no breezes(HVAC) effect them (especially the digital scales).

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 01:57:20 AM »
I check the calibration of my scales whether im using a balance beam or electronic at least once at the beginning of any loading session. It only takes a minute and sure doesnt make sense not to.
blue lives matter

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 05:13:49 AM »
Like another poster, I've never seen a digital that can reweigh the same powder charge and get the exact same reading 24 hours later. I've seen some mighty expensive digitals fail this so easy to pass test. I won't have one. But it's like everything else, depends on what your level of acceptance is. For some folks, accuracy means being able to hit the paper at 100 yds. For others, having the bullet go in the same hole is accuracy.

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 05:52:33 AM »
Hey guys
      Recently started loading for my new 17hornet, I've never loaded cases that small and know that slight variations in powder charge can have a big effect on cases this small. I've used a balance scale for years and have never had any problems but I was wondering if I might be ahead to get a digital scale for those small charges, seems the digital readout maybe a bit more precise when you're working with charges vary by tenths of grains, any input would be appreciated. 
Thanks
Scooter

I got the RCBS 10-10 also Digital 1500 one used on chargemaster.

Both scale measure to the tenth and with the 1500 you may see that number move till it settles so it could be to start with say 23.5gr change to 23.6 or 23.4.  Unless your looking eye on the beam scale you may not be as accurate.

I have my beam scale set up so I can look at it eye level seating at my reloading bench.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 02:47:15 AM »

We are not talking laboratory scales here and are not measuring to .00001 grams either.  I used to be in the camp of not trusting digital scales because I was not confident in their ability to hold zero until a chemist that works for us (probably one of the smartest guys that I know) told me that he used a Chargemaster and absolutely loved it. He said he tested the heck out of it prior to accepting it and it was absolutely always within 1/10 of a grain which is plenty accurate for reloading.  I bought one based on his recommendation and am sooo glad that I did. I do calibrate it ever session, which takes less than a minute. And I do verify every once in a while, but it has never been off.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 02:49:41 AM »
Im no scientist but i have to ask how accurate do you tech guys need. A reloader is conserned with .1 of a grain not .0001 of a grain. Yes i can weight the same charge two times and get a differnce of .1 of a grain. So what! Ive used my electronics (i have 3) for two and three days in a row and never seen them all of a sudden change. If they do its less the .1 or i sure would have noticed. We are not neuculer sceintists here were reloaders. If even .5 of a grain difference gets you in trouble youve got to be an idiot because your sure pushing the envelope with your loads. If your an anal loader and think that you need EXACTLY the same charge and .1 of a grain is to much of a variation id have to bet you a dime to 500 bucks that that .1 means absolutely nothing when shooting groups with any big game or varmit rig. I kind of chuckle when this topic comes up. Someone always brings up that there lab wont use them. SO WHAT! I dont have a lab. Id about bet your lab wont use your rcbs or lee balance beam either as truth be told there not a bit more consistant then the electonics we buy. If they were why would the labs pay such big money for the scales they use? theyd go out and buy a 50 dollar scale too if it were truely just as good. If you like your balance beam use it. If you cant afford a digital just say so. But this isnt my first rodeo. Ive been loading for over 40 years, most of that with a balance beam because thats all that was avaliable. Believe me if there was any down sided to using a newer quality digital id go back to my balance beam tomarow. theres still a couple of them collecting dust on the shelf.
blue lives matter

Offline gandog56

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 03:57:38 PM »
I have been responsible for maintaining scale calibrations in several different jobs including a certified test lab.

That's funny, so was I. SIMCO Electronics calibration lab, which bought out American Electronics Labs, who hired me when I got out of the Navy..

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 12:03:29 AM »
Larry many bench rest shooters dont even weight there charges they throw them with a powder dump and do it by volume not weight. Id bet there charges vary .1 of a grain or two and they shoots some of the smallest groups known to man. Much smaller then most of us need in our hunting rifles.
Like another poster, I've never seen a digital that can reweigh the same powder charge and get the exact same reading 24 hours later. I've seen some mighty expensive digitals fail this so easy to pass test. I won't have one. But it's like everything else, depends on what your level of acceptance is. For some folks, accuracy means being able to hit the paper at 100 yds. For others, having the bullet go in the same hole is accuracy.
blue lives matter

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 02:05:56 AM »
A well designed load will have an accuracy node. If your load is so sensitive that a tenth or two of a grain will noticably affect your accuracy, then it's a poor recipe and you should start over...  There are so many more important methods to reloading accurate rounds than an exact powder charge.  If it was that easy everyone could shoot ragged holes, although the internet makes it seem that way...
Buckskin