Author Topic: Reloading 44 mag rifle questions?  (Read 970 times)

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
Reloading 44 mag rifle questions?
« on: March 19, 2013, 12:00:05 PM »
I just bought a Ruger 77/44 and trying to decide on what bullet to use.  I plan on hunting Deer and Pigs in thick woods with it.  I'm hoping to stay in the 240-260 grain range.  I hear hollow points no good out of the rifle.  I'm thinking of using cast bullets or jacketed soft points.  Any opinions?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Reloading 44 mag rifle questions?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 12:15:20 PM »
Hands down, my favorite 44Mag hunting bullet is the 270g Speer Gold Dot.

BUT, the XTP 240 is another good choice.

I agree you should steer clear of the HP bullets when deciding on a hunting bullet. But these XTPs simply work.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline buck460XVR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »
I hear hollow points no good out of the rifle.

I have taken deer with my 77/44 using Remington, and Nosler 240 gr JSPs. Also the Speer 240 gr Bonded JSP. At the range I use their JHP equivalents and see no reduction in accuracy. The XTPs shoot well also, but tend to not always punch thru both sides. This however has never led to a lost animal or one that had to be trailed farther than 50 yards. One of the last American Hunter magazines had a good article about the 77/44 and various bullet accuracies. Their gun really liked the Sierra 300 gr JSP. Those are on my "try next" list.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 04:03:06 PM »
I would really prefer to stay away from 300 grain bullets.  I have a 500 smith for that.  Did the XTP's provide adequate penetration?  I know its not imperative to completely penetrate.  However, I'd like to at least penetrate mostly.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 01:55:44 AM »
Penetration will be adaquitely but remember this is a med weight for tge 44 and that's for a 44 in a handgun!

IMHO don't overlook the heavier slugs. ESPECIALLY if penetration is a consern.

As you mention a 300 in a 50 cal you must like hi vel over hi energy. The 300 in a 50 is a very light almost a round projectile. Not good SD. The manic number is .200. Sometimes difficult to attain in a hand gun so choose a belt that's gets you closest while still having respectable velocities and energys.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 10:45:14 AM »
If you want a tough medium weight bullet, it is hard to beat a 265 grain Hornady. They are a solid point and bonded, My Handi 44 Mag shoots them well.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 10:59:24 AM »
If you want a tough medium weight bullet, it is hard to beat a 265 grain Hornady. They are a solid point and bonded, My Handi 44 Mag shoots them well.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

The 265gr Hornady FP is an Interlock bullet, not bonded, they don't offer a .430" Interbond.  ;)

Tim

http://www.hornady.com/store/44-Cal-.430-265-gr-FP/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 12:48:35 PM »
I ended up ordering Sierra Sportsmaster 240 gr JHP.  Its one of the few bullets I could find in stock.  I'm still looking for brass and primers.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/568069/sierra-sports-master-bullets-44-caliber-429-diameter-240-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-100

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 02:15:47 AM »
I bought 1000 of the Remington 240 gr jacketed flat points that have proven to be very accurate out of my 44 mag rifle.

Offline cjensen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 06:08:27 AM »
The 240 grn with 23.3 grains of WW296 or H110 works the best in my Ruger deerstalker.
My goal in life is to have a carbon footprint the size of Al Gore's. I can be living the good life and know I am not causing global warming. Make Al your carbon standard.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 06:56:37 AM »
my rifle has a hard time with bullets with a wide HP but if rounded like a Hornadty XTP they work. It really dosen't like any bullet with a wide flat or open front. It shoots them well but won't feed , some not well others not at all. 240 gr is good 200 work also on deer our deer are small does 90-120 lbs and a 240 gr 44 mag tears them up alot.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 12:37:28 PM »
my rifle has a hard time with bullets with a wide HP but if rounded like a Hornady XTP they work. It really dosen't like any bullet with a wide flat or open front. It shoots them well but won't feed , some not well others not at all. 240 gr is good 200 work also on deer our deer are small does 90-120 lbs and a 240 gr 44 mag tears them up alot.

I have two Marlins in 45 LColt. One feeds ANYTHING... the other one... is tempermental.   ::)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 01:35:06 AM »
My experience is the bolt action is often more than TEMPERMENTAL it can be down right ornery in 44 mag. with certain ammo. Mine shoots Remington 240 gr soft point best and it has not fed one round from the magazine not one. 
If ya can see it ya can hit it !