Author Topic: Tip for shooting well  (Read 399 times)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Tip for shooting well
« on: March 20, 2013, 06:12:07 AM »
Here is a nice little video that might help a few shooters. It doesnt just apply to air-guns:

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/The_artillery_hold_June_2009/63
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tip for shooting well
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 06:55:09 AM »
If I want the absolute best groups I can get, I free recoil the rifle. by this I mean I do not touch the rifle at all. The trigger pull is light enough to just touch it without touching the rifle. I lift my cheek off of the comb and sight down the scope. I want to recoil back into dead space. If I am shooting a heavier recoiling gun, I put as light pressure as I can against the rifle butt and use the no touch trigger pull, or put my thumb on the back of the trigger guard and touch it off with the trigger finger. As in the video, I try my best to be repeatable, do it the same for every shot. If it is a real heavy recoiling rifle I use a rest that will hold the rifle (as a Caldwell) and I will not touch it, again with just the trigger finger touching. When I want to duplicate field shooting, I rest my palm under the fore end so the rifle sets on it and try my best to hold the rifle the same each time (loosely around the grip and lightly into my shoulder), it is shot. I shoot with both eyes open and try my best to "will" the bullet into the same hole, concentrating on the target, not the recoil. This is shooting with a scope. With iron sights it is slightly different and too my to discuss here.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.