Author Topic: Range Report 25-06 Handi  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Range Report 25-06 Handi
« on: March 20, 2013, 07:46:10 AM »
Took the 25-06 Handi to the range yesterday to sight in with the freshly mounted, repaired scope.  Mounted the 4-16X50 scope using Weaver six screw Tactical rings.  Temp was 12 below, no wind.  I was shooting the load I had worked up for my Savage 25-06.  Nosler 110gr Accubond, Winchester Cases, Winchester LR primers, 56gr of Retumbo powder.  Chrony at 3180 FPS using the Savage, Handi should be a bit faster since the Savage only has a 22" barrel and the Handi has a 26" tube.

First shot at 25 yards, correct elevation, three inches right.  Made corrections.  At 100 yards, 3 shots fired.  Two were touching and a flyer.  Group was 3 inches low, 3/4 inch left.  Made corrections to be high at 200.  At 200 yards, shot 3 shot group.  All three shots were touching, 1/2 inch group.  Group was 2 1/2 inch high, 1/4 Inch left.  The three hundred yard line had not been plowed, and snow was drifted up looking to be six feet deep, so I quite for the day.  This was actually a better group than I got with the Savage 25-06.  But it is a larger scope, that might have something to do with it.

I really like that Retumbo powder, temps don't seem to affect it at all.  The ejector was throwing the cases about 8 feet behind me which was good considering the temp.  This is a gun I bought on line from a gun shop down in Texas.  I called to ask if it had ejectors or extractors.  The woman that answered the phone did not know.  I asked her to open the gun.  When she did I heard the ejector click over the phone.  I told her I would take it, to transfer it to my FFL friend.  I'm happy with this gun.  It's right up there with my 30-06 Handi.

The groups I had gotten before with a different scope (3-9X40) on this gun were not near this tight.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Range Report 25-06 Handi
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:13:23 AM »
Apparently its a keeper, but you ain't no slouch in the point & pull dept. either! Well done! ;D
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »
Yikes man.  It's too bad that Handis won't shoot, only 1/2 inch at 200.  So sad, so sad.

You know, if I end up with a .25-06 Handi it'll be all your fault.  They sure do tempt a man.  I too am a fan of the ejectors I want those cases gone.

Keep up the good work man, and please keep us posted on your field results.

Cat

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 12:05:52 PM »
I have been debating on a .25/06... I ditched my ought six case family calibers, but have been missing the .280  and .25/06.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 12:12:46 PM »
Dang if I don't have a hankerin' for a 25-06. Muust fight it, fight it, fight it, fight it! I think it is gone.

Good narrative as usual Roger

Good Shooting and Good Luck to you!
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 01:04:58 PM »
The Handi is supposed to be back up just in case something happens to the Savage while in the bush.  Got a feeling the Savage just might become backup.  Going to see what they both do out at 500 to 700 yards.  That is the limit I will be shooting them at, after that the energy drops off too much.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline MTNRGR

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 05:04:41 PM »
Sourdough,
I know this is off subject, but I was wondering if you use 25-06 on Caribou. When I was stationed up there at Ft. Wainwright everyone told me that I had to have a .338 it was the "essential" Alaskan round so I got a .338. Then I began seeing an overwhelming number of people shooting 7mm-08, even moose hunting, which surprised me I thought that was toooo small, in Ontario where I moose hunt the smalled the lodge I go to will allow is 30-06. Anyways, I was just wondering because it would be nice to have a real flat shooter if I ever make it back up there and was thinking about the 25-06 for Caribou and definatly Dalls. Thanks
-Jason
-Jason

"All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us this wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream".                      Thomas K. Whipple

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 02:15:49 PM »
I really love the 25.06 cartridge.  I used one all last year during whitetail season last year.  I had that caliber in my Encore. It really dropped the deer in their tracks, literally.  I am really wanting one in a Handi.  I sold the Encore.  I am working on some .243 Handi Superlite projects right now for my mountain hunts, but the 25.06 is next on my list.  Was the one you bought a standard 22'' Handi?  Or was it a longer barrel or an ultra?
Thanks!

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 02:29:12 PM »
I really love the 25.06 cartridge.  I used one all last year during whitetail season last year.  I had that caliber in my Encore. It really dropped the deer in their tracks, literally.  I am really wanting one in a Handi.  I sold the Encore.  I am working on some .243 Handi Superlite projects right now for my mountain hunts, but the 25.06 is next on my list.  Was the one you bought a standard 22'' Handi?  Or was it a longer barrel or an ultra?
Thanks!

Pretty sure the 25.06 only comes in the 26" barrel, the new ones anyway.  Which if I recall is consistent with the barrel length back in it's wildcat days.

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 02:55:47 PM »
Thanks!

Pretty sure the 25.06 only comes in the 26" barrel, the new ones anyway.  Which if I recall is consistent with the barrel length back in it's wildcat days.
Dan, you are correct sir.  I realize that now.  Those are great numbers on his range report.

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 03:15:13 PM »
Thanks!

Dan, you are correct sir.  I realize that now.  Those are great numbers on his range report.

Stew I agree with you on the range report.  I stand on my range and the 300 yard mark (the farthest) looks like the next county! :o

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 04:44:13 PM »
The 25-06 Handi and Ultra have only been offered with a 26" barrel, same for the 280 Rem AFAIK.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »
MTMRGR:  The 25.06 is totally adiquete for Caribou.  The thing in Alaska is you don't go armed for what you are hunting, you go armed for what might be hunting you.  I carry a .338 Win Mag when out hunting Caribou.  Now when I see a nice Caribou that I want, I'll break out the Handi, or something smaller, and take a shot.  My .223 Ultra, my 25-06, and my .35 Whelen all have 26" barrels.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 09:42:29 AM »
My .223 Ultra, my 25-06, and my .35 Whelen all have 26" barrels.

223 Ultra has a 24" barrel.  ;)

Tim

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 09:49:23 AM »
Took the 25-06 Handi to the range yesterday to sight in with the freshly mounted, repaired scope.  Mounted the 4-16X50 scope using Weaver six screw Tactical rings.  Temp was 12 below, no wind.  I was shooting the load I had worked up for my Savage 25-06.  Nosler 110gr Accubond, Winchester Cases, Winchester LR primers, 56gr of Retumbo powder.  Chrony at 3180 FPS using the Savage, Handi should be a bit faster since the Savage only has a 22" barrel and the Handi has a 26" tube.

First shot at 25 yards, correct elevation, three inches right.  Made corrections.  At 100 yards, 3 shots fired.  Two were touching and a flyer.  Group was 3 inches low, 3/4 inch left.  Made corrections to be high at 200.  At 200 yards, shot 3 shot group.  All three shots were touching, 1/2 inch group.  Group was 2 1/2 inch high, 1/4 Inch left.  The three hundred yard line had not been plowed, and snow was drifted up looking to be six feet deep, so I quite for the day.  This was actually a better group than I got with the Savage 25-06.  But it is a larger scope, that might have something to do with it.

I really like that Retumbo powder, temps don't seem to affect it at all.  The ejector was throwing the cases about 8 feet behind me which was good considering the temp.  This is a gun I bought on line from a gun shop down in Texas.  I called to ask if it had ejectors or extractors.  The woman that answered the phone did not know.  I asked her to open the gun.  When she did I heard the ejector click over the phone.  I told her I would take it, to transfer it to my FFL friend.  I'm happy with this gun.  It's right up there with my 30-06 Handi.

The groups I had gotten before with a different scope (3-9X40) on this gun were not near this tight.
3 things , first nice shooting , second never seen a 25-06 that did not shoot good  ;) and third had same experince with scopes , had a 6 X24 power scope on my 2506 and it broke after 20 years . Replaced it with 3X9 and I could not get as tight of group can't see as well. Will replace the replacement .
did I mention good shooting , BTW how did you get the bullet to leave the barrel in that cold weather BURRRRRRR  ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline abolt-fan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 10:18:05 AM »
Sourdough, thanks for posting this on the 25-06.  It's one of my favorite calibers and love it in a Handi.  Good job at the range to.

When I was at H&R I asked Brian56 how did the 25-06 barrels shoot.  He said they shoot very well.  So I brought in the frame that went with my .223 24 in. fluted barrel and had the 25-06 fitted to it.  From group one it shot great.  I wanted it to match my .223 barrel so I had the tool maker cut/crown the barrel at 24 in.  I detected no changes in accuracy after cutting the barrel.  Right now I'm using Hornady 117gr. BTSP bullets with RL19 powder.  I'm typically averaging .6 in. groups at 100 yards.  Sub half inch groups happen often enough that I'm not surprised.

For any of you that have thought about getting a Handi in 25-06 do it, they shoot.  You will not be disappointed.  I talked a buddy of mine into one.  I made him some of my loads up and told him to give them a try.  He called me up all excited to tell me he sighted it in and had two shots touching and the third almost.     

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 10:33:13 AM »
All this sound like just another bunch of cheap junk rifles.  Why don't you guys get smart, let go of your wallet a bit and spend a grand or so and get something good ???   I don't get to a public range very often, but when I do, I love the look down the long noses when I uncase the Handis.  I love the look even more when I bring the targets back to the bench. ;D

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 11:06:54 AM »
Here's how mine shoots with 2 different factory loads, nothing done to the rifle at all. Factory rems target show scope adjustments after shot 1 and 2, target at 131yds.

Tim

Offline Tractorsaw1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 02:35:21 PM »
I should have my ejector 25-06 barrel on monday.  Can't wait.  I have a box of 100 grain nosler to load up.  Sourdough can you enlighten me where you got your retumbo data, my lyman doesn't have retumbo in it.  Thanks
We can skin a buck we can run a trot line & a country boy can survive

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »
I got my loading information from the Nosler Number 6 Manual.  Nosler does not list Retumbo for the 85 and 100gr bullets.  The listing for Retumbo starts with the 110gr and goes up thru 115gr, and 120gr bullets.  I don't shoot anything but the 110gr Nosler Accubond. 
What Is A Veteran?

Offline Tractorsaw1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 02:32:02 AM »
Ok thanks, My lyman doesn't show that for the 110 & 120.  I think I will start with RL 19 as I have some it is in most loadings.  Once the 100 grains ballistic tips are gone, I will check out the accubonds & some retumbo.
We can skin a buck we can run a trot line & a country boy can survive

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 08:28:35 AM »
Sourdough's in AK where it's COLD.  Retumbo works good in TX where it's HOT.  I found a noticeable POI shift and probably pressure jump with Reloader 7, shooting winter reloads in the summer, so I switched to Hodgdon Extreme powders.  Haven't noticed any difference so far.  Just fyi...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...