Author Topic: Need suggestions on AR-15 night vision scope  (Read 598 times)

Offline coaldust

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Need suggestions on AR-15 night vision scope
« on: March 21, 2013, 07:28:15 AM »
Looking for a night vision scope for my AR-15 300 blackout and need suggestions on one in the $1000.00 or under price range.
Thanks, Ronald Woodtruff
Life member NRA and Texas State Rifle Association

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Need suggestions on AR-15 night vision scope
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:43:11 AM »
Ronald

Check out the ATN line of night vision scopes.  Their Generation 1 scopes are below your price range, Generation 2 somewhat above.  I have a couple year old Gen. 1 scope of theirs I use for hunting coyotes at night, and it works well.  Most of my shots at night are under 100 yards, over a decoy.  After you pick a particular model, shop around the different internet distributors for price, you may find one of their gen. 2 scopes at close to your $1000 limit.

No, a generation 1 scope is not going to be as bright and sharp as a gen. 3 or 4 scope, but they certainly work well, and don't cost $5000 plus.  ATN has a good warranty and reputation, and is American made.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 08:28:24 AM »
I went another route. I had a 30-30 with a gen 1 scope but wanted something better and went with gogles and a lazer sight on the rifle. Reasons, 1 I`m not a fan of pointing my rifle at something while trying to identify the target and 2 the rifle gets heavy while looking around. If you go with the gogles and the lazer get a red lazeras the green ones are like flood lites when viewed through nite vision.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »
I went another route. I had a 30-30 with a gen 1 scope but wanted something better and went with gogles and a lazer sight on the rifle. Reasons, 1 I`m not a fan of pointing my rifle at something while trying to identify the target and 2 the rifle gets heavy while looking around. If you go with the gogles and the lazer get a red lazeras the green ones are like flood lites when viewed through nite vision.

Good idea Catfish.  Just be cautious of the state game laws in your area.  Some states, like PA, allow for a night vision scope, but not a laser that projects an illuminated aiming dot on a target while hunting.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 02:03:19 AM »
keep in mind that unless your going to a gen 3 unit there only going to resolve good enough to see to actually shoot something with any kind of precission out to about 50 yards. After that you might be able to put bullets in something but there just not up to humanely hunting live animals past that range. Now this comes from looking though only about a dozen differnt ones. there may be something out there in that price range i havent seen that is substaintialy better but i wouldnt hold my breath.
blue lives matter

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 05:35:55 AM »
You might need to go just a bit higher in price, as night vision is basically you get what you pay for.  Here's a couple sights to look over if you haven't already visited them.  Mike at optic hdqts is a very knowledgeable guy to speak to and he'll put you on to the best for your money.   
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/18_.html
http://forum.snipershide.com/?ubb=showflat&Number=1831616
http://www.nightvisionforums.com/phpBB3/index.php
http://www.opticshq.com/