Author Topic: Case Prep Centers  (Read 972 times)

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Case Prep Centers
« on: March 21, 2013, 06:00:48 PM »
I am looking at the case prep centers made by both RCBS and Lyman. Seems the Lyman is ten bucks more in Cabela's. Anyone have either of these, and if so what are your thoughts?

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Case Prep Centers
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 06:15:43 PM »
never had one.
i have all the manually operated tools.

no insult toward anyone, but i've just
never experienced the drudgery that
everyone else says they do by using my old
tools and single stage press, etc.

of course, everyone is different as are
their tastes in firearms and reloading
tools and pocketknives and wives.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 06:42:10 PM »
I have the RCBS and have added the Lee trimmer so the Prep Center does it all.

Tim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-710xkyKNU
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »
If you actually intend to buy either, check the warranty REAL CLOSE. Both are made in China and the motors are crap. I won't have anything RCBS or Lyman that uses an electric motor anymore.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 02:11:35 AM »
I got the RCBS to do military cases , both 308 and 556 and could not be more pleased. It stays in an unconditioned shed and has worked well for several years. I have a Lyman elec. case trimmer that is older and it also works well .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 02:55:30 AM »
Got a new RCBS about a year ago.  The old one had been around for years and had done many thousands of rounds as I run 45acp and 223 in lots of 5,000 or more and still ran fine.  Gave the old one to a friend and got a new one just because I could.  Make the mods Quickdtoo showed and you will be a happy camper. 

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 05:24:52 AM »
I have the Lyman and I really like it.  As I recall the only reason I bought it over the RCBS was it came with most of the bits and I got it at a significantly lower price.  Shop around, lots of retailers sell them.  The only tool I've added to mine is the flash hole reamer.

The Lee trimmer is a great idea.  Unfortunately D&T is beyond my mechanical ability. :(

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »
I've got the RCBS and have added the lee trimmer also. Works great!!!
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 09:25:20 AM »
If you actually intend to buy either, check the warranty REAL CLOSE. Both are made in China and the motors are crap. I won't have anything RCBS or Lyman that uses an electric motor anymore.

RCBS sent me a new motor for free.  Now I look and the bowl was also sheared off.  I tried to get a tumbler replacement, but they would only send me the motor.  I went to Harbor Freight, bought a new tumbler and never look back. 

Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline 375supermag

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 02:22:39 PM »
Hi...
I have had an RCBS Case Mate for several years and have used it primarily to clean primer pockets on handgun brass.

It has preformed flawlessly and has stood up well after being used to clean many thousands of primer pockets. I typically shoot and reload more than 6000 rounds per year and it has been used to clean each and every primer pocket.

I am well pleased with it and recommend it.

Offline greenrivers

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 05:00:09 PM »
The RCBS is now part of my loading bench tools. I chose it over the Lyman simply because of it's size. Smaller than the Lyman. I also want to look into the Lee trimmer system.
Hope that I can get a few years use from it before having motor trouble. I bought some once fired .45 ACP brass that much or it turned out to be military. That helped spur the purchase.
Thanks for the reviews guys.

Offline Reloader

• Avid Poster
Case Prep Centers
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 02:40:15 PM »
I just use the Lee case trimmers with the shell holder chucked in a small drill. Works pretty slick if you aren't in a big hurry. Cheaper too.
If I can make it go bang it can't be that hard to do.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 01:17:37 AM »
I also use the RCBS case prep center. I have had no problems with what so ever and I have "prepped" a lot of cases. I have a drill powered RCBS trimmer, so I do not need the Lee conversion. If I had zero tools, I would seriously consider the Hornady case prep center. It is more expensive, but does all of the prep work including case trimming and it looks like it is built very well. For now and into the future, I am satisfied with my set up.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 01:47:36 AM »
Larry i have a rcbs power trimmer that has trimmed hundreds of thousand cases. It did finally give up the ghost. The motor didnt quit it just got so lame it would stall out on a piece of brass. I didnt hold much hope in rcbs fixing it but figured it was worth a 20 dollar gamble to pay postage to send it in. It came back with everything new except the aluminum bottom frame. Even had a new cutter head on it and they didnt even charge me return shipping. Not bad service for a near 20 year old piece of equiptment that had been road hard and put away wet!
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 12:29:30 PM »
I bought one of the RCBS units when they first came out. It is still working just fine and has needed no repairs. I also have an RCBS power trimmer but it sure takes up a lot of bench space. It works fine but just takes up a lot of space on the bench so...

I sure want one of the new Hornady units that does the job of both. Rat now I just don't have the bucks for one but I feel one is in my future.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 12:29:27 AM »
same here. Id love one of those hornady case centers but for what they want and for the fact i have equiptement allready that does all of the chores it does, its just to hard to justify.
blue lives matter