Author Topic: Anyone use small magnum primers in a 9mm  (Read 495 times)

Offline CharlieT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Anyone use small magnum primers in a 9mm
« on: March 22, 2013, 07:33:07 AM »
I can't find any small pistol primers but I can find small magnum pistol primers. I don't really want to use them but if its all I can get? I'm down to around 400 regular and the local shop only has magnums when they have any at all. So has anyone used magnums in a 9mm?
1 Kings 20:11 .The king of Israel answered, "Tell him: 'One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.' "

Offline corbanzo

Re: Anyone use small magnum primers in a 9mm
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 07:37:02 AM »
I have with lower limit powder charges and it works fine, just back off your loads and work up if need be. 

Just watch out for pressure signs, in a case that small a primer will affect pressure in the case a bit. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:42:31 AM »
Like Corbanzo said, they will work, and I have done so plenty of times in the past.  Just start at your starting load, and work up slowly, watching out for pressure signs.  I would stay below book max on any load that was originally tested with a standard primer.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline CharlieT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:01:58 AM »
Thats kinda what I thought but wanted to hear from someone who has done it. Wish now I would have picked up a few 1000 while I was there. I had them in hand and decided to wait.
1 Kings 20:11 .The king of Israel answered, "Tell him: 'One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.' "

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »
I would pick up a few thousand of any primer! 

Last time I saw primers.... last month...  209 was the only thing any gun shops had around. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 12:03:10 PM »
Quote from: Bigeasy
Like Corbanzo said, they will work, and I have done so plenty of times in the past.  Just start at your starting load, and work up slowly.....,   watching out for pressure signs.  I would stay below book max on any load that was originally tested with a standard primer.Larry

When I've thought about storing components, its always been with thought to worst-case and SHTF scenarios!  (something I leanerned from my dad).

But also where I live in the country, many times I might be in SNOW and winter conditions.

Magnum primers are typically something I consider for MOST of my reloading, for long-term storage ammo.

I would pick up a few thousand of any primer! 

Last time I saw primers.... last month...  209 was the only thing any gun shops had around.

Not surprised about the shotshell primers (size 209's), and I actually should check on THOSE again!

Also last primers I bought were 1,000 Remington 6 1/2's, that lend themselves well to loading for rounds like the .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .221 Fireball, etc.  Paid $43 for those.  :o   :'(

Offline dakotashooter2

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »
I have some magnum primers I got pretty cheap  due to overstock after the last rush. I have loads developed for them or figure I can use them as trading stock. If I see markdown primers of any type I usually pick them up.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 10:09:35 PM »
During the first primer shortage in the 90's I used small rifle and small magnum rifle primers in all my handgun loads that took small primers from .380 ACP to .357 mag and all worked well.  I did start from scratch and work up my loads again.  For the 9mm it wasn't a problem since I was just getting into loading that round...

Tony