Author Topic: Anyone used rifle inserts in their H&R shotguns?  (Read 995 times)

Offline MTNRGR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Anyone used rifle inserts in their H&R shotguns?
« on: March 23, 2013, 05:19:49 PM »
I was checking out rifle inserts for single shot shotguns to cheaply double up on calibers that I only have one gun for, and was just wondering if anyone has used them with any good effects. Also, which brands are better than others, or should I just stay away from inserts all together?
-Jason

"All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us this wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream".                      Thomas K. Whipple

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Anyone used rifle inserts in their H&R shotguns?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 05:37:22 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MTNRGR

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 05:47:01 PM »
And once again, thanks Tim. I have the feeling I will be saying that a lot in the future, I am already addicted to this forum and H&R's, and I haven't even shot one yet.
-Jason

"All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us this wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream".                      Thomas K. Whipple

Offline wolverine_1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 06:16:35 PM »
Actually, I have 4.  One which is .45 ACP/12 ga, one which is .32-20/20 ga, one is .22 LR/12 ga, and one which is .22 LR/20 ga.  The .32-20 is a cheap aluminum one which is so poorly made I'd never put a shell in it for fear I couldn't get expanded case out again.  The .22/20 was bent so I only tried it once.  The .22/12 was made by Shell Shrinker (now out of business) and works well. The .45/12 has an 18" barrel.  Once I got a Partner 12 ga barrel for my Handi Rifle (with sights), I got three shots touching at 25 yards and a 3" group at 100 yds.  I got that from MCA Sports in Alaska.  Only modification I had done was to bevel the rear of the insert so I could remove the spent shell with my finger nail.  Fact is I got the Partner barrel just so I could use the .45 ACP insert and am happy I did. Next time at the range I'll try the .22/12 in the barrel with sights to see how it groups.  I think the inserts are a great idea and look forward to trying some others.
Gene

Offline MTNRGR

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 07:00:44 PM »
Tim, 
  crap my bad, another new Guy F-up, I havent even made it past the H&R Centerfire rifles forum yet to see the shotgun one.
I've said it a thousand times in my life so one more wont hurt, " please forgive me I am just a dumb ass Infantry  :o grunt,  I'll figure it out after a few
head to wall contacts.  :)
Thanks
-Jason

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 08:08:12 PM »
You're doin just fine!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bodie4

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 12:29:46 PM »
Ive been thinking about the MCA 9mm insert....now that I have a reddot on my 20ga...itll happen soon.

Sent from my Samsung Tab

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 04:48:40 PM »
IIRC the 'insert barrels' are way better than any of the shotshell length 'inserts'. Of course they cost more.......but any decent machinist can take a surplus (or new) rifle barrel and make a couple and chamber ream to a suitable lower pressure round.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974