Author Topic: Photoshoppers, pls pull up markings on Dictator muzzle face  (Read 1227 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Photoshoppers, pls pull up markings on Dictator muzzle face
« on: March 24, 2013, 07:15:04 AM »
At this link you can download the hi-res version of this famous photo of the Dictator.  If such a mortar had not fired many rounds, we'd be able to see the marks clearly in this photo, but since it had fired a good bit, the muzzle face  appears to be thick with powder residue.  I've been researching the Dictator on and off since 1986 and put an article in THE ARTILLERYMAN in 1988.  No one I've heard from has said they've read the marks from this photo, but with the right manipulation, some of the marks, at least, should be visible.

Please help, thanks.

BTW look closely at the trunnion and capsquare and you can see the crew's chalkmarks used to record the elevation at various times (?).  Not sure what they were doing there, as a mortar such as this is supposed to be fired at 45 degrees elevation, with powder charge used to vary the range.  Any ideas on that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Virginia,_Petersburg,_Mortar_Dictator_-_NARA_-_533349.tif

Offline NinjaToes

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Photoshoppers, pls pull up markings on Dictator muzzle face
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 04:21:16 PM »
I've downloaded the image. I will work on it tomorrow and see what I can find.
Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »
They would have to move it to keep at a constant 45 degrees when it wasn't sitting level wouldn't they?

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 07:08:21 PM »
I've downloaded the image.
Thanks.  Hope you saw the little button at bottom of the linked page that gets you to the 21 mb image; the one that shows up when you go to the link I gave is much smaller. 

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 07:21:22 PM »
Does anyone else see the "ghosts" in the picture?
It looks like a couple of people didn't stay still long enough to get properly photographed. 
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline shred

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 04:29:19 AM »
BTW look closely at the trunnion and capsquare and you can see the crew's chalkmarks used to record the elevation at various times (?).  Not sure what they were doing there, as a mortar such as this is supposed to be fired at 45 degrees elevation, with powder charge used to vary the range.  Any ideas on that?
Perhaps they were trying to optimize the recoil-vs-platform breakage they experienced on the railcar mount?  IIRC they had to rebuild it a couple times.

Alas it seems the film grain has made a hash of the markings, but I will try some things.

Offline entsminger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 06:43:36 AM »
A while back a Army Historian friend told me that the Army removed from Ft. McNair in Washington DC what he suspected to be the origional Dictator mortar that used to sit face down in the ground.The story is on the internet somewhere. They wouldn't let him examine the mussle to see if in fact it was the origional Dictator which seems odd to me him being an Official Army Historian and all.I can't remember the details off hand but it would be interesting to see if in fact it was the origional Dictator. For years I visited Petersburg and looked at the mortar there only to find out not long ago that it is made of concrete!
  Scott

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 09:40:59 PM »
Scott,
No, the one the Army moved from Ft. Mcnair to NYC had been in the same spot since received early in the CW.  Photos exist showing the rows of heavy arty there in cw incl the 13 in. Mortars.  I inspected it and there was no evidence it had fires as vent was must same cond as the 3 others there then.

One distinctive feature of the one in the photo is a chip out of the bore just at the muzzle ;face which could be compared to the one at Hartford.  A ladder is needed to see the muzzle of/the Hartford item.

Offline entsminger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 02:21:15 AM »
I wonder why they just didn't leave the dictator at Petersburg where it belonged? What I'd like to see is a 13 incher mounted on a rail car like it was origionaly. My 13 inch propane tank mortar hasn't made much progress lately. I was diagnosed with colon cancer last year and am just now recovering so progress has been non existent. If I ever finish my mortar and if I could find a cheap rail car and a pair of tracks I'd get it and mount my mortar on it in my yard !

Scott

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 03:20:25 AM »
Dictator did not belong at Pburg, but at Ft. Monroe, where it came from.  Stayed there until abt 1900 when. VEts got it donated to monument in Htfd. 

Offline entsminger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 09:09:41 AM »
Maybe I'm losing my marbles but didn't the dictator do most of it's work at Petersburg?? That's where I say it belongs. What did it ever do at fort Monroe but sit there?

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 02:06:58 PM »
Well Scott if only you had been the Army Chief of Ordnance you could have had it your way!

Offline entsminger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 02:59:12 AM »
I knew there had to be a reason I should have joined the army, ha ha..

Scott

Offline GLS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 05:39:51 AM »
Not what I expected  ;D

Have a good April 1st

GLS

Offline WindElevation

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 09:55:14 AM »
GLS, Good One!!!!!!!!.......... Gary
He that will not when he may- when he will, he shall have nay.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 02:04:40 PM »
Ha! Yeah, that's rich!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 11:33:04 AM »
I called my friend Ted Turner and asked him to help with this, but from the results I'm guessing he didn't have his hearing aid on.