Author Topic: 30-06 Ammo for Whitetail  (Read 1592 times)

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« on: February 19, 2004, 11:31:07 AM »
Hey All..

Just purchased my Browning A-Bolt 30-06 Stainless Stalker. Now I am looking into ammo. What would you go with for grain? I would like to be able to take short shots as well as 100-200 yard shots. I am going to go with either Winchester or Federal, but am debating between 165 or 180.  :lol:

Thanks for your suggestions,
HuntingGuy
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 12:56:33 PM »
Personally I prefer 180s. As best as I can recall the only deer I've ever shot with an '06 that wasn't with a 180 was once perhaps 25 years or more ago when I was experimenting with some 170 grain .30-30 bullets to see if more rapid expansion might be better. That one deer traveled further than any other '06 deer I've taken by a long way. I went back to my RP 180 RN Core Locts and once again they dropped in sight for the most part.

I personally consider that to be about the best deer load out there inside of 200 yards. But from what I hear the Core Locts of today are not the same as those I used to use long ago. These days I mostly use Nolser PTs when using it. I still prefer the 180s tho.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 01:23:11 PM »
Huntinguy ;  My favorite is the 165 and have taken several deer with it I use the sierra but have bought the rem 165 and was pleased with them, but so far I feel the 165 is more accurate in my o6s  :D    JIM

Offline coboconk

30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 05:19:18 AM »
I have always used 165's in my Browning A-bolt and have had good success with them, but I will admit that I have had several go a good distance before I found them. I also admit that it could have been shot placement that was more the cause than the bullet weigth. I hit the front shoulder on those that travelled the most.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 06:07:04 AM »
:D I've used a lot of 150's but the 165 and 180 work great also. Over the shorter ranges you mention I would go with the heavier bullet. 180's will certainly shoot dead on over that range.

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 12:09:12 PM »
I shoot core lokd 220's out of my mark V. Inside of 100yds they shoot the best, out of this rifle....

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 03:47:44 PM »
I used 180s for years.  Then a buddy tried to talk me into 150s.  I compromised and went with the 165 in Federal Premiums.  Took lots of deer w/o any problem   My ranges are from 30-150 yards.  But my son uses 150s and has had excellent success.  I dont see the need for 180s for deer size game anymore.  I would never go above 165s.  And for factory ammo would go with Federial Premiums or Winchester Supremes.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline MarkJ_Thompson

Won't matter...
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 05:23:02 PM »
It won't really matter... Both companies make premium ammunition. If you stick with the Winchester Supreme line (even Fail Safe) or Federal Premium line you have multiple choices of bullet types that will all get the job done.

I use heavier bullets if I am brush hunting...lighter in the open areas.

MJT

Offline wvbowman04

30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 02:50:17 AM »
I shoot Sierra Gameking 150 grain BT out of my Browning A Bolt.  Shoot like a dream.  Everybody looks at me wierd when they hear a 17 year old  say that his 30-06 is his favorite gun to shoot.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer with his buddies for a lifetime.

This isn't a beer gut!!  Its a feul tank for a sex machine!!

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004, 06:19:40 AM »
Decided on the Remington Core-Lokt 180 grain, and went out and purchased a few boxes.  :lol:

Will let you know how it shoots.

Thanks for the help, HuntingGuy  8)
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 06:03:07 AM »
I have used 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 30-06 for years and love the accuracy and performance.  :-D
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 11:09:01 AM »
In 02 and 01 I used 165 gr core locts. This bullet did not shoot with the consistancy that I like so after trying several new rounds in 03 I settled on the remington 150gr nosler balistic tip. First thing I hunted that year with them were hogs and they worked great. When deer season came around this year I used the same load. The exit wound was about two inches in diameter. Thats to much wasted meat for me. Now I'm looking for a new load myself. I do have to say though that that deer didn't go very far.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Offline missed_shot

• Avid Poster
30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004, 06:54:48 AM »
A 130-165  " normal bullet" will do the job. I see no need for a "super" bullet unless the velocity is above 2800 fps. Save your money. I have seen many deer drop to the "old fashoned" expandable bullets. :eek:
DONUTS - IS THERE ANYTHING THEY CAN'T DO ??- HOMER SIMPSON

Offline secretec

30-06 Bullets
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2004, 01:15:34 PM »
Hello,

I have a Browning 30-06 A-bolt with a boss. It seems to do best with 57.5 grains of IMR 4350 and Nosler 165 grain Ballistic Tips. I've killed deer from 20 yards to 365 yards. Get a load your comfortable with and stick to it. Shoot allot of rounds at varied ranges and different rests. Being comfortable with the gun will get you confidence in the weapon. Of course, shot placement is the name of the game. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Good Hunting,

Jas

Offline MGMorden

30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2004, 04:55:22 PM »
I personally use 150gr soft-points.  Brand isn't all that important, as long as you can put the bullet where it needs to go.  I've just started handloading so I might try out a few of my own loads, but before that I took quite a few (I'd say 10 or so) deer with my .30-06's.  Most fell in their tracks (those that didn't ran less than 20 yards), and all were shot with whatever cheapo 150gr SP Wal-mart had (usually Winchester. like $11 per box of 20).  Heck my best groups in my '06 (a Savage 110) have come from the cheap 150gr Sellier & Bellot SPCE bullets.

I've just personally never understood all the debate about terminal performance. Sure some bullets will group better, but when it comes to shooting a deer, dead is dead.  Don't do anything crazy like use a 90gr varmint bullet on deer, but IMHO some of the arguments are splitting hairs.  Heck my father (without knowing state regs forbid it) was scrounging for ammo to go hunting one day and grabbed up a box of my American Eagle (Federal) .30-06 150gr FMJ target/practice ammo and went out with it.   He shot a fairly large doe, and even with the FMJ, she dropped where she stood.  I informed him about the regs after I found out what bullet he was using, but was still surprised at the results it produced.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2004, 03:36:08 AM »
150 gr. Nosler ballistic tips for deer. I have never seen a need to go higher. :)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline broken arrow

30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2004, 10:54:39 AM »
I have a Parker Hale 30-06 and have used 165 Grain Noslers. Great round. I have never had an animal take a single step after the shot. I am a shot placement freak though. As a former SWAT counter-Sniper I was dedicated to Federal ammunition because they made match-grade rounds in .308 and you could purchase boxes with the same lot numbers. I think as long as you stick with the same, high quality ammunition each year and don't change just to keep up with technology you'll enjoy great success. A quality rifle like your A-Bolt with a perfect zero and good maintenance will bring minimal suffering to your game every year. Know your cold zero, and strive for excellent shot placement every time. :-)
"Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once."

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
30-06 Ammo for Whitetail
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2004, 11:06:47 AM »
With my 30-06 I have always preferred the 165 grain bullets for whitetail deer. They have always worked and worked well. If I do ever use my 30-06 for a moose or a 1,000 lb deer (!!??)  then I'll go up somewhere near the 180-220 grain bullets. Until then I'll stay with what has worked. It's more good shot placement than an overly heavy bullet, also no reason to endure the greater recoil generated by the heavier bullet if you don't have to, and you don't need the overkill either. It could in fact lead to flinching and a missed shot , rather hit the target correctly with a 165 than miss it with a 220....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley