Author Topic: .45 ACP light loads  (Read 531 times)

Offline kmittleman

• Trade Count: (0)
.45 ACP light loads
« on: March 26, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »
Hi All,

I'm looking for some reduced recoil loads for my Springfield XD. I have HP-38, Unique, and Universal to work with. Also, I got a load of Nolser 230 gr JHP's. Any ideas for this combination? I suppose I could get some other bullets as well.

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: .45 ACP light loads
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:01:25 PM »
I  personally use Win 231 (Same thing as HP38) for light loads in the 45 acp, but I use 200 - 215 grain cast semi-waddcutters, usually.  Generally cast are a better choice for light loads as they are less expensive then jacketed, and less likely to "stick" in the barrel at minimum speeds.

I would look at a good manual, like Speer or Lyman, that shows starting loads with jacketed bullets for reliable info.  I seem to have better luck using Unique with loads closer to full power in the 45 acp as far as accuracy and clean burning go.  If you are a shotshell reloader as well,  you might have some Red Dot on hand.  It also works well for reduced loads, at least with cast slugs.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:27:03 AM »
I have good luck with unique for reduced loads.  Put a little behind some cast bullets and plink to your hearts content.  Use some tula primers with bullets you cast and you are down in the 22lr cost range.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »
 I have loaded thousands of 230 gr bullet using HP-38/W231.  It always metered better for me over Unique. Get a couple manuals and start working up loads.   700fps to 750fps seems to always be the accuracy sweet spot for me in all my 45acp's using jacketed bullets.
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 05:44:06 PM »
I know this doesn't match your bullets or powder, but I've always gone to Bullseye and lead SWC (185 or so grain) for reduced recoil target loads.  In fact, when loaded to about 800fps it is often called the "classic" target load for the 45 ACP.  Starting load is 3.5gr, MAX 5.0gr, should get around 800fps at something around 4.0gr IIRC
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:34:57 PM »
I load for my brothers 1911 the 185gr Speer. It sits on top of 5.0 grs Red DOT. Recoil is about that of a heavy 9mm. Accuracy from his gun is fabulous and the combination burns exceptionally clean. As you'll learn as you experience reloading, the burn rate of the powder can make a big difference in felt recoil. With full loads, HS-6 is a lot easier on the hand than say Unique or Bullseye which have a lot more snap to the recoil in a 45ACP.