Author Topic: What base to solder on a shotgun barrel  (Read 698 times)

Offline chillydigits

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gene Pool narrowing...Think about it
What base to solder on a shotgun barrel
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:08:17 AM »
While waiting for my H&R to return with its new barrels, I called my gunsmith to line him up to drill and tap the 20 ga. and 12 ga. barrels for scope bases. He tells me he will need to measure the 12 gauge barrel to see if he will tap it. Turkey season is rapidly approaching (I know nothing like waiting until the last minute) so I am formulating plan B, if I have to solder a base on the 12 ga. should I use the base from H&R? If not could you steer me toward the proper base... Thanks
We have to kill these animals or else they will die, That makes us enviromentalists.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: What base to solder on a shotgun barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:13:52 AM »
There's only one mfr of steel bases for H&Rs, Warne makes em, links are listed in the FAQs sticky.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline abolt-fan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »
I've got a 3.5 in. turkey barrel with a scope base mounted on it.  My gunsmith did drill and tap it but only deep enough to catch a couple of threads.  It is secured primarily via some modern epoxy (what I don't know).  I used the standard H&R scope base.

I've had a red dot sight mounted on it for over five years now and had no issues.  It's had more that fifty rounds put through it with 10 of them being 3.5 in loads.  To be honest I've had more problems shooting the 3.5s than the gun has.  That light weight H&R simply hammers a shooter with the 3.5s. 

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 01:27:18 AM »
That light weight H&R simply hammers a shooter with the 3.5s.

My Pardner 12 gauge weighs 5 Lbs 6.2 oz and for the life of me I cannot understand why they put a 3 inch chamber in it, much less a 3.5 inch one.  My load of choice is 1 ounce in low base number 6's.  I will occasionally pick up a box of 1 1/8 oz if they're on sale.  Even with this load I have a soft, spongy, slip on "Sissy Pad" on it.  I hunt for recreation and pain is not recreation.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 01:16:51 PM »
As Quick referred you, ya gotta have steel or a brass alloy to be able to solder. The High Stength epoxies have been used by many. When instructions say 'clean and dry', they mean it. Roughing up the contact surfaces is recommended  too.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 03:28:02 AM »
I have used gorrilla epoxy on a tracker 2 slug barrel with heavy loads.  Scratchmark has the barrel now and as far as I know it is still working fine.
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun