Author Topic: Do I NEED a 10ga?  (Read 2759 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Do I NEED a 10ga?
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:35:16 PM »
I have been giving some thought to a 10G shorty...

A recient trip to a GS showed three used H&R 10ga shotguns... all at or under 100$ One was a spray paint (Factory) camo jobber with screw in choke.

Maybe I have just meen on YOUTUBE too much...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=10Ga+H%26R&oq=10Ga+H%26R&gs_l=youtube.12...1846.4364.0.7032.8.8.0.0.0.0.257.1204.1j5j2.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.KHpOY2jNRis

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
Re: Do I NEED a 10ga?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 01:37:38 PM »
Go for it.
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 01:42:44 PM »
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »
everyone needs at least one
or two, or like me one with
two barrels  ;)
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 01:47:33 PM »
I think you should change "need" to "want". ;)  No one NEEDS a 10ga, but a whole lot of people want them.  :)  Heck I'll buy one if I ever come across one for under $100 even though I'll probably never shoot it.  Or I may mount it like a mortar.  :D

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »
There is just something about that axle tube barrel... I have never had a 10ga... Not a single shell. Are/is 10ga ammo scarce and expensive as the rest?

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »
i got  a 10ga.........''why?'' you ask

to keep from wanting  one....[.the 2nd one was because  it was a good deal]

both 36 inch  fixec full choke....man will they reach out  more than i ever thought with turkey loads

i have given thought to chopping one
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 02:02:59 PM »
i got  a 10ga.........''why?'' you ask

to keep from wanting  one....[.the 2nd one was because  it was a good deal]

both 36 inch  fixec full choke....man will they reach out  more than i ever thought with turkey loads

i have given thought to chopping one

The shorty aspect is whats appealing to me. The one camo gun its a turkey 14'' barrel with screw in choke 119$, the other two are $79 and $89 IIRC, wood, rust and tarnish... both in rough shape. I dont imagion there is too much call for them, maybe I can get a deal on two.  :o ;)  ;D

I guess I'll search and see on the ammo. If I can get some/enough for normal prices I may ''have to'' have one. ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 02:16:01 PM »
one of mine is 24" w/ screw in.
did you mean 14" , or was that a typo? :-\

the 24" will mow one down, but it's
not something you want to shoot
and shoot. i've thought about putting
the steel doo-dad back in the stock.
it will sieve a paper plate at 45+
yards though. . . . .
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 02:24:12 PM »
whoa, 14" barrel? :o  I think I'd want a welders helmet to shoot that one!

Offline je265

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 02:25:41 PM »
I have one I used for coyotes but got tired of carrying the weight around. Federal makes a 3 1/2" Lead BB load with 2 1/4 oz of shot that I would use. I lost out on a couple of doubles and switched to a 12 ga semi-auto when calling which is as effective with hevi-shot loads and gives me a second and third shot if needed. I don't mind carrying a single shot rifle when predator hunting but for the weight of the 10 ga I made the change and don't regret it. A local gun store has the Federal loads I mentioned for $48 for a box of 25 but they've been there awhile. No sure what current price is if you can even find it with the ammo shortage.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 02:36:10 PM »
There are a couple option on shells.
1, you shoot the 2 oz 3.5 inch shells and after less than a dozen rounds aon the trap range your fingers wil go numb.
2. You load 1 1/4 oz into a 3.5 inch shell and use all kinds of felt spacers to fill the voids and try not to get them stuck in the loading port of the Mec loader.
3. You buy shells from RST and order the oh so expensive 2 7/8" shells and reload them with 1 1/4oz. 
4. You buy a 10 ga to 12 ga adapter and ruin a bunch of 12 ga hulls.  The adapter is a split thing and will ruin hulls, do not use hulls you normally reload.   And no matter ho big the hole is a full choke is still a full choke.  shooting a 12 ga out of a full choked 10 ga will give you a full choke not a blunder buss pattern.  Thought it would be a great skeet idea.  I should stop thinking. 

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »
yes you need a shorty 10ga. mine is cut to 18.25 inches, and I love it ;D  I also have a 36 inch barrel for it. ammo depends more on your location depending on turkeys and geese. In the north woods here, rounds are usually available in buckshot, slugs and BB. closer to hunting season. Slugs are around 9-10.00 for 5 (750 grain slugs) and T/BB are around 18-35.00 a box.  buckshot runs around 15.00 for 5 rounds, but I can personally tell you that they are death to yotes, even in heavy brush at 40 yards using the 36 inch barrel. patterns on mine are terminal at 45 yards for turkeys,   and will have full details next month during our opening season. last year, it put two in the freezer. I also am planning on an additional one as I understand that you can have them opened up to an 8 ga as well.

H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline abolt-fan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 03:20:30 PM »
CWL,

Only way I know to cure an itch is to scratch it.  One of my best friends turkey hunts with an H&R 10 ga.  He had adjustable iron sights mounted, the front with a fiber optic bead. 

Most people don't need a 10ga. but when you want to send out the heaviest load possible that's the one.  I hunted geese hard for about 12 years and my SP10 was a hammer.  If you get a good deal snag it up.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 03:46:32 PM »
Oh Yah, you NEED one, who doesn't?

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 03:59:26 PM »
CWL,

Only way I know to cure an itch is to scratch it.  One of my best friends turkey hunts with an H&R 10 ga.  He had adjustable iron sights mounted, the front with a fiber optic bead. 

Most people don't need a 10ga. but when you want to send out the heaviest load possible that's the one.  I hunted geese hard for about 12 years and my SP10 was a hammer.  If you get a good deal snag it up.
+1 at $100 each how can you go wrong?  The reloader will cost you more.

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 07:47:44 PM »
uuuummmmmm.....HECK YEAH

If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 10:45:38 AM »
Ammo is available and pricey.  About $2 a round for the federal foster style slugs.  I am not too sure about the cost of turkey or game loads as I only shoot slugs from my mine,  24" with screw in cylinder choke tube.  I did D/T it for a scope but if you do I would install something with a lot of eye relief. :o   A 2oz slug with 44 grains of Blue Dot tends to leave a mark. ::)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline bodie4

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 12:25:31 PM »
Whataya doing to me CW?  My 12 and 20 ga shorties heard you talking about a 10 ga shorty and now they want a brother...where didja say they where?  No second thought,, dont tell me.... Im trying to cut down not get more.;)

Sent from my Samsung Tab

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 12:39:38 PM »
Whataya doing to me CW?  My 12 and 20 ga shorties heard you talking about a 10 ga shorty and now they want a brother...where didja say they where?  No second thought,, dont tell me.... Im trying to cut down not get more.;)

Sent from my Samsung Tab

LOL. Larry over at Newington Gun Exchange had them last week...

Still on the fence...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline bodie4

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 01:04:23 PM »
$79 you say?   Hmmm.....sounds like some debluer and a rattlecan camo job are on order....maybe tiger stripes?

Sent from my Samsung Tab

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 02:38:23 PM »
Well you aren't going to find an 8 gauge.

10 is about the closest you are going to get to being Everett Hitch. That's a good enough reason right there.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Charcoal

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »
Yes.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »
Well its on hold till at least next week.... Sent a mechanic home yesterday and no one is avalible to cover his on-call shift... Guess thats why I get the big bucks. (Yea right)  I'm working straight thru till next Thursday  :o :o :o

We are taking a break watching the news the lids here are about to make many here in Connecticut felons as many of the ''gun control'' bill goes into effect instantly... SORRY TIME HERE for gun people...  :-\ :-[ >:( :(

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline bodie4

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 04:24:46 AM »
Stupid CT..I had to explain to the wife why I HAD to buy multiple different magazines for guns I dont own yet but might want...kinda crazy....still thinking about 1 of those 10 gauges but Im might have to sleep in the camper if I bring that home after my recent purchases.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 04:41:04 AM »
Stupid CT..I had to explain to the wife why I HAD to buy multiple different magazines for guns I dont own yet but might want...kinda crazy....still thinking about 1 of those 10 gauges but Im might have to sleep in the camper if I bring that home after my recent purchases.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
I have a buddy that takes a take down cleaning rod, puts it in an empty gun case and adds the case to the rest of the guns he is taking to the range, on his way back from the range he stops into the gun shop and picks up his new gun, takes the rod down and adds the new (usually used) gun to the safe.  One time she asked him to go over the guns for insurance, he said cool, grab your jewlry box and meet me in the living room. She said forget it.   

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 05:28:33 AM »
CW,
I have a Pardner 10 gauge and have just ordered some 3.5" solid brass shells from Rocky Mountain Cartridge!  Also went ahead and got the reloader to handle these brass shells! Little pricey, but once you get to reloading these "puppies" that cost per shell starts to go way down!!
It is amazing what range a 10 gauge will reach out and touch something!! I will be after furry small game and coyotes with mine!!
I will be reloading mine with black powder, lot`s of smoke and noise!! ;D ;D

NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 05:59:50 AM »
Dont know about any Fed regs, but here in WI an 8ga. is not legal for hunting. I like that 12ga. to 10 adapter idea to make it affordable to shoot, with a few 10's in the stash for special purposes.
Seems like anything under $100 is a steal anymore.......
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 06:05:06 AM »
Dont know about any Fed regs, but here in WI an 8ga. is not legal for hunting. I like that 12ga. to 10 adapter idea to make it affordable to shoot, with a few 10's in the stash for special purposes.
My 10 to 12 adapter ruins the 12 ga hulls.  and you need a tool to pop them out.  Not as quick and easy as I thought it wuld be.  I was thining of being aboe to use mine on sporting clays courses or trap to get used ot the gun a little and was too slow to reload to be used for trap as everyone was waiting for me. And forget about sporting clays.  It would have been faster to shoot a front stuffer.   

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 06:38:40 AM »

The Federal Migratory Bird Act limits guns to 10ga or smaller.   Most other states don't have a size limit for their respective game animals.

Here in PA any sized shotgun is legal, including a field cannon loaded with the appropriate sized shot on state regulated critters.   PA only regulates the shotsize. 

A 30pounder deck gun loaded with, well - 30lbs of #4 or smaller birdshot is legal on Pennsylvania small game(migratory birds fall under Federal).  However the shot cannot be encapsulated(in a canister) otherwise it would likely be considered a single projectile and fall under the "rifle" category limit of .23 caliber.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07